Can we have a Race dissussion on here and it not be labeled racist

swiftkick

As long as you see color first you will be called a racist.

We are Americans first, anyone seeing color before anything else is putting themselves into the same arena as yourself. Sadly, you have plenty of company.

I judge anybody and everybody as an American first, since I am American. Americans and other nationalities are ALL humans, more of us should join the human race.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clark (5/7/2008)
Ok here is my opinion and im sticking to it, although most will view me as a racist. 

I come from a small community in the midwest but attended a decent sized university with a diverse population in which i gainded a great deal of my experiences with other cultures. 

Every day a very large number of guys would play pick up basketball games at the rec gyms and have a **** of a time doing it.  one thing was common accross the board.  The african american players that participated were consistently louder, more argumentative, disruptive, and resorted to physical altercations rather than verbal de-escalation in response to conflict.  it became to bad, that i simply quit participating.  Now i pose a simple question, why is this?  i am not saying that the white participants didnt argue or get into scruffles here and there. but they were few and far between and were not of the magnitude presented by the african americans. 

I have had plenty of african american friends in my days on this earth so i am not racist.  but i am also not blind.  In MY EXPERIENCE, african americans are more likely to result in violence rather than try to "talk it out".  Perhaps this is why the term THUG is applied to african americans more so than any other race.

NOW HEAR ME OUT!  I believe that every race has people of high quaility and low quality, and i believe that there are negative labels for each.  Examples follow.  Lets talk about whites.  Good, upstanding, law abiding white citizens, that make positive moral choices are what represent the positive aspects of the white culture.  However, those out there that beat their wives, live off of the government, resort to violence, etc. are what represent what so many refer to as "white trash".

this is also true to the black culture.  The upstanding black man who supports his family, resorts to reason over reaction, who makes sound decisions, etc is a positive african american.  Those that i described above, who result to violence before reason, who are constantly loud and disruptive, live off of the government, etc in my opinion live up to the label of thug or n#####.

the same can be said of hispanics, asians, and any other culture in the world.  BUT IN MY EXPERIENCE, i have met more black individuals that i would consider of lower quality character, judging by my observations of the decisions they have made.  Maybe its just a coinsidence, maybe not. maybe it is that way accross the board.  maybe that explains the incredible incarceration rates of african americans, maybe not.

i can only speak from my experiences, nothing else.  Flame me if you feel its necessary.

I will end with this statement: Racism exists on all fronts, in every race.  It is uncontrollable.  Whites are no more racist than blacks or visa versa.  It is something that always has been and always will be.  We can either live with the fact that there will always be racism, or we can feel sorry for ourselves and use that as a fall back for behavior. 

As soon as you start talking about race out comes the ignorance. Clark exactly how many black people have you been friends with? How many black people played basketball with you? I'm assuming that you're not saying that every black person you played with was violent and aggressive. How many of your "plenty" of friends were aggressive? How many experiences have you had outside the basketball court?

See the problem with racism is the people with limited interaction with other groups taking their limited reactions and how the media portrays that group and making a decision about how ALL of those people are.

Jboogie321 (5/7/2008)
Clark (5/7/2008)
Ok here is my opinion and im sticking to it, although most will view me as a racist.

I come from a small community in the midwest but attended a decent sized university with a diverse population in which i gainded a great deal of my experiences with other cultures.

Every day a very large number of guys would play pick up basketball games at the rec gyms and have a **** of a time doing it. one thing was common accross the board. The african american players that participated were consistently louder, more argumentative, disruptive, and resorted to physical altercations rather than verbal de-escalation in response to conflict. it became to bad, that i simply quit participating. Now i pose a simple question, why is this? i am not saying that the white participants didnt argue or get into scruffles here and there. but they were few and far between and were not of the magnitude presented by the african americans.

I have had plenty of african american friends in my days on this earth so i am not racist. but i am also not blind. In MY EXPERIENCE, african americans are more likely to result in violence rather than try to "talk it out". Perhaps this is why the term THUG is applied to african americans more so than any other race.

NOW HEAR ME OUT! I believe that every race has people of high quaility and low quality, and i believe that there are negative labels for each. Examples follow. Lets talk about whites. Good, upstanding, law abiding white citizens, that make positive moral choices are what represent the positive aspects of the white culture. However, those out there that beat their wives, live off of the government, resort to violence, etc. are what represent what so many refer to as "white trash".

this is also true to the black culture. The upstanding black man who supports his family, resorts to reason over reaction, who makes sound decisions, etc is a positive african american. Those that i described above, who result to violence before reason, who are constantly loud and disruptive, live off of the government, etc in my opinion live up to the label of thug or n#####.

the same can be said of hispanics, asians, and any other culture in the world. BUT IN MY EXPERIENCE, i have met more black individuals that i would consider of lower quality character, judging by my observations of the decisions they have made. Maybe its just a coinsidence, maybe not.maybeit is that way accross the board. maybe that explains the incredible incarceration rates ofafrican americans, maybe not.

i can only speak from my experiences, nothing else. Flame me if you feel its necessary.

I will end with this statement: Racism exists on all fronts, in every race. It is uncontrollable. Whites are no more racist than blacks or visa versa. It is something that always has been and always will be. We can either live with the fact that there will always be racism, or we can feel sorry for ourselves and use that as a fall back for behavior.

As soon as you start talking about race out comes the ignorance. Clark exactly how many black people have you been friends with? How many black people played basketball with you? I'm assuming that you're not saying that every black person you played with was violent and aggressive. How many of your "plenty" of friends were aggressive? How many experiences have you had outside the basketball court?

See the problem with racism is the people with limited interaction with other groups taking their limited reactions and how the media portrays that group and making a decision about howALL of those people are.

Black people has had a history of violence. Sometimes that all they know. Blame it on the man cause he instilled it in them. It's getting a little better but it still ingrained in their nature.

Everybody has racism in them. in one way or another.

MrPickles (5/7/2008) Black people has had a history of violence. Sometimes that all they know. Blame it on the man cause he instilled it in them. It's getting a little better but it still ingrained in their nature.

And White people have a history of racism and oppresion thats ingrained in them its getting better but then there are people like you around.

phalconphil (5/5/2008)

actually the white entertainment industry had just as much if not more influence on promoting this. warner bros, jive, priority, all those companies were run by white people and played a major part in glorifying thug life. it only became a problem when little johnny appleseed in cow patty nebraska started wearing bandanas and saggin his pants.

Actually the record company's promoted the artist who was promoting the gansta style, this same thing happened in the early 80s with heavy metal being a Devil worshiping style of music because of alot of images they(bands) uses with album covers and lyrics in songs. and Gangs have always been a problem that made the news its just when your in the middle of Utah and a gang teens do something bad it makes the news alot faster because well there is no news there. Clothing styles,make up jewelry have been associated with music since the early 50s and was a problem back then also.

zinupe14 (5/5/2008)

Black people didn't invent th word thug. Also, there was one rapper who glorified it in the early 90's and you take it and apply to all. I don't call all rockers and white people coke snorting, whiskey drinking ... blah blah blah.

Black people didn't invent the word Thug, but they did associate it with the urban youth's in gangs.

You may not call all Country music listeners Rednecks and all Hard/metal rock listeners Goths or metal heads but alot of others do.

Jboogie321 (5/7/2008)
MrPickles (5/7/2008) Black people has had a history of violence. Sometimes that all they know. Blame it on the man cause he instilled it in them. It's getting a little better but it still ingrained in their nature.

And White people have a history of racism and oppresion thats ingrained in them its getting better but then thereare people like you around.

Am I white

ltstorm1 (5/5/2008)
Well just to throw in my .02 on this topic. The reason why I believe more black athletes in sports have more run ins with the law is............... Black athletes dominate the majority of sports. Baseball is propbably the only other major sport besides hockey that black athletes don't make up 90% of the team.

So its more likely just statistics wise that a black professional athelete is more likely to commit a crime than from other races.

Something else I just thought about as well. I believe the sport of football might lend to players being more easily tempted by violence. Its the most aggressive sport there is. No one wants a "soft" player on their team. We even here media andnon mediapeople alike say " I want a player with a mean streak in him"

I'm not making exscuses for the players, i'm just saying its a violent sport.

Not exactly on topic but just curious. If David Garrard(spl?)( also if not married)impregnated two different prominant women( At the same time), would he get the media pass that Tom Brady got?

He probably would by his own race just as Brady was given a pass by his own race.

Oh sh.....:D

MrPickles (5/7/2008)
Jboogie321 (5/7/2008)

And White people have a history of racism and oppresion thats ingrained in them its getting better but then thereare people like you around.

Am I white

I've got a question.

It's offensive to be called a "#####" and it's a very hateful word.

Why is it alright to call a white person "cracker", which is also a slave related nickname?

I listened to hip/hop a little growing up and still pull out some old cd's on occasion. I started using the term loosely with my white friends.

Am I wrong for saying the word now since I dropped the "er" and replaced it with "a"?

Lil Wyte (5/7/2008)
white people get racist in the nfl cause they are jelous of the blacks players that are way better and anybody that is white and racist can start something with me

Is that right?  please dont get me started....

cszymanski82 (5/7/2008)
I've got a question.

It's offensive to be called a "#####" and it's a very hateful word.

Why is it alright to call a white person "cracker", which is also a slave related nickname?

I listened to hip/hop a little growing up and still pull out some old cd's on occasion. I started using the term loosely with my white friends.

Am I wrong for saying the word now since I dropped the "er" and replaced it with "a"?

Well this is coming from a Black MEN. Its never ok to call a white person cracker. It holds the same weight as the N word to me. I don't use it i cringe when i hear whites at my job play around and call each other that.

I hate when other black folks use it because it gives of the impression that its ok for us to use racially slurs and whites not to. Also all blacks are not alike. We don't have the same values just like whites. I don't like grouping people.

Jboogie321 (5/7/2008)
Clark (5/7/2008)

Every day a very large number of guys would play pick up basketball games at the rec gyms and have a **** of a time doing it.  one thing was common accross the board.  The african american players that participated were consistently louder, more argumentative, disruptive, and resorted to physical altercations rather than verbal de-escalation in response to conflict.  it became to bad, that i simply quit participating.  Now i pose a simple question, why is this?  i am not saying that the white participants didnt argue or get into scruffles here and there. but they were few and far between and were not of the magnitude presented by the african americans. 

I have had plenty of african american friends in my days on this earth so i am not racist.  but i am also not blind.  In MY EXPERIENCE, african americans are more likely to result in violence rather than try to "talk it out".  Perhaps this is why the term THUG is applied to african americans more so than any other race.

NOW HEAR ME OUT!  I believe that every race has people of high quaility and low quality, and i believe that there are negative labels for each.  Examples follow.  Lets talk about whites.  Good, upstanding, law abiding white citizens, that make positive moral choices are what represent the positive aspects of the white culture.  However, those out there that beat their wives, live off of the government, resort to violence, etc. are what represent what so many refer to as "white trash".

this is also true to the black culture.  The upstanding black man who supports his family, resorts to reason over reaction, who makes sound decisions, etc is a positive african american.  Those that i described above, who result to violence before reason, who are constantly loud and disruptive, live off of the government, etc in my opinion live up to the label of thug or n#####.

the same can be said of hispanics, asians, and any other culture in the world.  BUT IN MY EXPERIENCE, i have met more black individuals that i would consider of lower quality character, judging by my observations of the decisions they have made.  Maybe its just a coinsidence, maybe not. maybe it is that way accross the board.  maybe that explains the incredible incarceration rates of african americans, maybe not.

i can only speak from my experiences, nothing else.  Flame me if you feel its necessary.

I will end with this statement: Racism exists on all fronts, in every race.  It is uncontrollable.  Whites are no more racist than blacks or visa versa.  It is something that always has been and always will be.  We can either live with the fact that there will always be racism, or we can feel sorry for ourselves and use that as a fall back for behavior. 

See the problem with racism is the people with limited interaction with other groups taking their limited reactions and how the media portrays that group and making a decision about how ALL of those people are.

Well lets see.  How many black friends have i had?  too many to count. 

How many played basketball with me?  again, too many to count, meaning a lot.

No, not every black person that was there was overly aggressive or acted ignorant.  But the ones that were overly aggressive and acting ignorant were black

I would say that only a few of my "plenty" of black friends acted that way.  i try not to associate with that type of behavior because i think its ridiculous.

how many negative experiences have i had outside the bball court involving blacks?  too many to count.

does that answer your questions for you?

Lil Wyte (5/7/2008)
white people get racist in the nfl cause they are jelous of the blacks players that are way better and anybody that is white and racist can start something with me

You forgot the "y" on the end of your first name :w00t:

When Campanis said the same thing you just did, he was run off the air and out of baseball. It's only ok for you to say it because.......why?

How 'bout "The Greek"?

brakshere (5/7/2008)
Lil Wyte (5/7/2008)

You forgot the "y" on the end of your first name :w00t:

When Campanis said the same thing you just did, he was run off the air and out of baseball. It's only ok for you to say it because.......why?

How 'bout "The Greek"?

Looking at some of his past post i don't think his black.

I sit here today a white man in his 30's just there thank you jesus ...Many people on here know me from my discontent of Vick and I have been labeled a racist, had death threats sent to me etc and I took it in stride cause I know how the other end would fill like cause as much hatred I got for my discontent of Vick I can only imagine how much hatred was sent to Vick .. Im sure he had horrible hurting words thrown at him . Im sure for all the money he had in the bank people still looked at him like he was just a black kid...

Now to the point of the story ..Not sure why is it that more Africian Americans sports players have had more run in with the laws then any other race ... I dont know what it is and I here from everything like from where the black athlete grows up to now that he has money around him but still the same people that he surronded himself with his whole life....In a week if someone was to tell me Michael Boley was to be arrested and Marvin Harrison was to be questioned in a shooting I would ask what the world is coming to ...In todays society i look at sportcasters .analysts that give back handed compliments to africian american athletes like " HE IS WELL SPOKEN AND WELL MANNER " etc b but go on a rampage about african american athletes that express themselfs the TO, Chad Johnson , D Halls of the worlds but dont have there trouble off the field..

Geez, Swift, come on this is why you are called a racist. This is a racist statment.

You just don't see it. You have been told many times though and you still do it and you hated Vick way more b/c of his color than his play on the field.

Quit generalizing everything to blacks. 

formerly MSCT.

• 1 month later...
swiftkick (5/5/2008)
I sit here today a white man in his 30's just there thank you jesus ...Many people on here know me from my discontent of Vick and I have been labeled a racist, had death threats sent to me etc and I took it in stride cause I know how the other end would fill like cause as much hatred I got for my discontent of Vick I can only imagine how much hatred was sent to Vick .. Im sure he had horrible hurting words thrown at him . Im sure for all the money he had in the bank people still looked at him like he was just a black kid...

Now to the point of the story ..Not sure why is it that more Africian Americans sports players have had more run in with the laws then any other race ... I dont know what it is and I here from everything like from where the black athlete grows up to now that he has money around him but still the same people that he surronded himself with his whole life....In a week if someone was to tell me Michael Boley was to be arrested and Marvin Harrison was to be questioned in a shooting I would ask what the world is coming to ...In todays society i look at sportcasters .analysts that give back handed compliments to africian american athletes like " HE IS WELL SPOKEN AND WELL MANNER " etc b but go on a rampage about african american athletes that express themselfs the TO, Chad Johnson , D Halls of the worlds but dont have there trouble off the field..

In any group of people the majority of one race is likely to commit more crime than the minorities simply by virtue of the fact that there are more of them to commit a crime.

The NFL is predominantly black. That's an obvious fact. So it makes sense that more black athletes would have more run ins with the law.

America is predominantly white and white people commit more crime a year. I know that this might shock a couple of folks, but I assure you it's true. Every year the FBI releases a yearly breakdown of crimes committed broken down by race. While news agencies love to say otherwise, white people commit more crime per year than any other race.

So there ya go. That's why more black athletes have run ins with the law.