Just a thought on Jimmy Williams, and his absence from camp...

1989Fan

I was thinking about the Jimmy Williams "fall from grace", and a thought popped into my mind. I dont know if it was discussed here or not, but does anyone think that maybe in JW's meeting with Smith he vented some frustrations, and possibly asked to be moved on?

I mean was he possibly upset over the Hall trade and cutting of vets? We know many other players were over the past 8 months or so. ATL has pretty much distanced themselves from VT connections over the past year. Not to mention he opened camp behind a 2nd year UDFA on the charts.

When a player is being shopped they are asked to not practice (by staff) in fear of injuring them and losing trade value. Could that be why he didnt show up and the staff was tight lipped?

Just a thought, but figured I would get others opinions on the matter....

da snowman (5/1/2008)
it was VOLUNTARY CAMP!!!!!!would yall please stfu about this crap...if he doesnt show up for mandatory camp then u can bring this back up but for now please shut up...dang..

A player like Jimmy should be at any camp, he isnt good enough to just sit out and expect to actually play.

Kobold King (5/1/2008)
da snowman (5/1/2008)
it was VOLUNTARY CAMP!!!!!!would yall please stfu about this crap...if he doesnt show up for mandatory camp then u can bring this back up but for now please shut up...dang..

A player like Jimmy should be at any camp, he isnt good enough to just sit out and expect to actually play.

i understand that, but yall making it out like it was mandatory camp..no one knows his situation and why he missed camp but the coaches. to suggest a trade for him missing a voluntary camp is krazy.

da snowman (5/1/2008)

he did show up. he was there for day one, then did not come in the other days.

Jimmy isnt your cousin, your brother or your boy. get off his jock and quit being so emotional.

He was still the only healthy player to not be there....and like I said he WAS there day one. he DID have a sit down with coach Smith. Then, he did NOT show up day 2 and 3.

da snowman (5/1/2008)
Kobold King (5/1/2008)
da snowman (5/1/2008)

i understand that, but yall making it out like it was mandatory camp..no one knows his situation and why he missed camp but the coaches. to suggest a trade for him missing a voluntary camp is krazy.

nobody said he should be trade because he missed it.

I said does anyone think maybe they are looking at trading him per his request and that is the reason he didnt come day 2 and 3. BIG difference from the words you are putting in my mouth.

da snowman (5/1/2008)

You are right we dont know why he isnt there but he was there the first day. I would think that if it were somthing to not worry about the FO would say somthing since I'm sure they have been asked dozens of times.

The Falcons have players here who arnt even able to perform due to injury, Jimmy is a bubble player. I hope for his sake it is a valid reason.

Here are the current defensive backs (17)  I included Eric Brock from Auburn because I've heard rumors that they plan to sign him this week.  Don't really know if that is true.  Either this new coaching staff is not very happy with the existing DBs or they may be planning to package 2 or 3 into a trade deal.  I can see no other reason for drafting 3 and signing 3 more UNFAs plus Nick T..  If they keep 8 and put 2(CB & S) on the PS that means 7 have to go.  So package them for a trade.

LCB

B Grimes

D Irons

Chevis Jackson

Glenn Sharpe

RCB

C Houston

Von Hutchins

Wilrey Fontenot

SS

L Milloy

D Stone

Thomas DeCoud

CJ Gaddis

Eric Brock

FS

J Williams

E Coleman

A Harris

Dj Wolfe

Nick Turnbull

delaigle (5/1/2008)

LCB

B Grimes

D Irons

Chevis Jackson

Glenn Sharpe

RCB

C Houston

Von Hutchins

Wilrey Fontenot

SS

L Milloy

D Stone

Thomas DeCoud

CJ Gaddis

Eric Brock

FS

J Williams

E Coleman

A Harris

Dj Wolfe

Nick Turnbull

Are we moving the "Beast" LB to SS?

muskokas finest (5/1/2008)

It was voluntary in name only. It was more than implied that "bubble" players like Williams needed to be there

couldnt have said it better myself. the hints were more than subtle that coaches would be using this camp to feel out who needed replaced and who was gonna stick.

1989fan (5/1/2008)
muskokas finest (5/1/2008)

It was voluntary in name only. It was more than implied that "bubble" players like Williams needed to be there

couldnt have said it better myself. the hints were more than subtle that coaches would be using this camp to feel out who needed replaced and who was gonna stick.

Hence, the signing of all of these safeties.

It could have been, "Jimmy, your not in our plans". We will trade

you if we can or cut you, just stand by.

Before I cut him I would see if he could run a route and catch a

pass. He is an athlete and it seems like there should be a place

for him somewhere.

iDash (5/1/2008)
delaigle (5/1/2008)

LCB

B Grimes

D Irons

Chevis Jackson

Glenn Sharpe

RCB

C Houston

Von Hutchins

Wilrey Fontenot

SS

L Milloy

D Stone

Thomas DeCoud

CJ Gaddis

Eric Brock

FS

J Williams

E Coleman

A Harris

Dj Wolfe

Nick Turnbull

Are we moving the "Beast" LB to SS?

If you mean DeCoud then I did make a mistake on checking the Atlantafalcons.com has him listed as a FS on the team roster.

I'll bet that if someone were inclined to do the research they would find that the vast majority of players are at these mini-camps voluntary or not. I would also wager that the majority of players who are not there are either 1) Seasoned vets, 2) players who think they should get their contract reworked 3) players with injury. Even players with injury will frequently be on hand for the camps even if they cannot participate. There's something up with this situation. Maybe he had some serious family issues that needed attending but that's the only thing I could imagine would justify the absence of a player who has seriously underperformed since his arrival.

No the OLB,

IMO, Kinda Like Ronnie Lott!

Full Name: Robert"the Beast" James

Born: December 26, 1983

Hometown: Phoenix, AZ

Height: 5-11

Weight: 229 lbs.

ASU: One of the top outside linebackers in college football as a senior...enjoyed a break-out year in 2007, leading the Sun Devils in tackles and earning First-Team All-Pac-10 honors...came to ASU as a defensive back and moved to linebacker prior to the 2005 season...has incredible speed and has a punishing tackling style...very active in pass coverage in addition to run pursuit...appeared in 42 career games, starting 19...started every game of his senior season...totaled 146 tackles (90 solo), 20.0 tackles-for-loss (minus 86 yards), 5.5 sacks (minus 55 yards), eight pass breakups, five interceptions and two forced fumbles during his career...was one of the most consistent performers in the Pac-10 in 2007 and was named ASU's Most Valuable Defensive Player...a local product from nearby Maryvale High School in Phoenix who blossomed into a dominant defensive force...earned multiple All-America honors as a senior...was a perfect fit for Coach Dennis Erickson's defensive scheme due to his speed and attacking style of play.

2007: Started all 13 games as a senior...earned Fourth-Team All-America honors by PhilSteele.com...also received honorable mention All-America recognition by Rivals.com...earned First-Team All-Pac-10 honors at linebacker...was named First-Team Midseason All-Pac-10 by PhilSteele.com...led the Sun Devils with 106 total tackles (62 solo), ranked second on the squad with 9.5 tackles-for-loss (minus 38 yards), second on the team with four interceptions and also had 2.5 sacks (minus 24 yard), three pass breakups and one forced fumble...averaged 8.2 tackles-per-game...finished seventh in the Pac-10 Conference in tackles...earned First-Team All-Pac-10 honors by Rivals.com...was named ASU's Most Valuable Defensive Player of the Year at the team's year-end banquet...earned Second-Team All-Pac-10 honors by PhilSteele.com...totaled a game-high 10 tackles (seven solo), with a 13-yard sack and an interception against San Jose State in the season opener on Sept. 1...was named U.S. Bank Pac-10 Conference Defensive Player of the Week for his efforts against the Spartans...tallied a game-high 4.5 tackles-for-loss (minus 15 yards), as well as a team-high nine total tackles (six solo), with two pass deflections and a nine-yard sack against Colorado on Sept. 8...recorded a game-high 11 total tackles (nine solo) and assisted on a one-yard tackle-for-loss against San Diego State on Sept. 15...picked off a pair of passes against Oregon State on Sept. 22 and finished second on the team with nine total tackles (seven solo)...led all defenders with 11 total tackles (four solo) and assisted on a two-yard sack at Stanford on Sept. 29...had a team-high nine total tackles (six solo) and a pass breakup at Washington State on Oct. 6...led all Sun Devil defenders with seven total tackles (three solo) and assisted on a tackle-for-loss against Washington on Oct. 13...recorded three total tackles (one solo) and an interception against No. 18 California on Oct. 27...ranked second on the team with nine total tackles (three solo) at No. 5 Oregon on Nov. 3...recorded five total tackles (four solo) at UCLA on Nov. 10...totaled a game-high 11 tackles (five solo) and forced a fumble versus No. 11 USC on Thanksgiving night...posted five total tackles (three solo) against rival Arizona on Dec. 1...ranked second on the team with seven total tackles (five solo), with 1.5 tackles-for-loss (minus six yards) against No. 17 Texas in the 2007 Holiday Bowl on Dec. 27, his final game at ASU.

To Idash

Sorry, I was not fimilar with "the Beast" nickname,  I do not know anything about moving James from OLB to FS.  I just have him listed as OLB.  But a question, will he be strong side or weak side. and Which will Bierman be?  I wanted at least a MLB drafted and was quite suprised to see 3 LBs drafted  although I felt our exiting lineup had very little depth.

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy oh Jimmy Mac when are you coming back??

He better get his under achieving as back in camp. He's an average player and has NO leverage to sit out or throw a fit. In the infamous words of P-Diddy, get that "bitchassness" outta ya system boy.

this thread really needs to be deleted..until he doesnt show up for mandatory camp, all this stuff is not valid..no one knows his situation. so get out his personal life, and realize the camp was voluntary. at least he showed up the first day and told coach what was going on..we do not need to be informed about anything that is voluntary.