QB(s) on the chopping block

For some reason I feel DJ and Ryan will be battling for the starting position. I see both of them having a great camp and preseason. I believe Harrington gets cut and depending on the FA market redman could be sent to the PS, and the falcons either sign another young lineman or sign a young QB(maybe Batch or Dixon) and he and redman fight for third. Redman isnt really any more talented than Ryan or DJ however, he knows how to use what he has. Both Ryan and DJ have shown the ability to do this(with DJ its moreso with his legs).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

zone3lb (4/30/2008)
For some reason I feel DJ and Ryan will be battling for the starting position. I see both of them having a great camp and preseason. I believe Harrington gets cut and depending on the FA market redman could be sent to the PS, and the falcons either sign another young lineman or sign a young QB(maybe Batch or Dixon) and he and redman fight for third. Redman isnt really any more talented than Ryan or DJ however, he knows how to use what he has. Both Ryan and DJ have shown the ability to do this(with DJ its moreso with his legs).

I agree there will be some good competition but djs legs arent in good shape.We really dont have the depth to keep  dj if he cant win the job.If ryan were 2nd year and had done well you might bring a guy along after injury.He can beat out joey its just highly doubtful.

Shockely and Harrington are the two on the chopping block. If Shockley isn't ready for training camp he's the one gone. Otherwise its a fight between those two. And just out of curiousity do you know how many regular season snaps he has taken?

zone3lb (4/30/2008)
Because the team is going young and seeing Joey play last year I think Joey's already gone. Especially if Daunte is willing to work cheap.

Yeah. Joey's gone. They're going to run him out of town.

Except for the fact that they re-signed him just a month ago. But other than the fact that they just gave the man a guaranteed $700,000, yeah, sure, he's gone.

Tron5000 (4/30/2008)
zone3lb (4/30/2008)
Because the team is going young and seeing Joey play last year I think Joey's already gone. Especially if Daunte is willing to work cheap.

Yeah. Joey's gone. They're going to run him out of town.

Except for the fact that they re-signed him just a month ago. But other than the fact that they just gave the man a guaranteed $700,000, yeah, sure, he's gone.

Other than a cap hit, salaries don't mean a D_MN thing in the NFL.  Only the signing bonus is guaranteed; and ask Vick how comfortable he feels with his right now.  A contract isn't much more than a verbal promise in this league.  They are broken ALL the time.  I don't know how much of a signing bonus Harrington got, but I can bet it wasn't much.  I would comfortably say that he and Shockley will be fighting tooth and nail for a position holding a clipboard on this team this spring. 

golden goose (4/30/2008)

Other than a cap hit, salaries don't mean a D_MN thing in the NFL. Only the signing bonus is guaranteed;and ask Vick how comfortable he feels with his right now. A contract isn't much more than a verbal promise in this league. They are broken ALL the time. I don't know how muchof asigning bonus Harrington got, but I can bet it wasn't much. I wouldcomfortably say that he and Shockleywill be fighting tooth and nail for a positionholding a clipboard onthis team this spring.

It's a 1-year deal. Joey gets his money as long as he makes the team.

I love DJ, and hope he plays, but he will need to rip it up to move ahead of Redman since he is probably the starter for now. If Redman has another start with a zero passer rating, it could happen sooner.

DJ starting would sell out the dome i bet b/c of so many UGA fans and so many people like DJ.

I just hope DJ didn't lose too much accuracy etc with being out.

zone3lb (4/30/2008)

wow.

first....DJ will not be starting. He is only on this team because of his injury last year. Had he not got hurt he likely would have lost the #3 spot to Redman anyways.

second, Redman cannot be on the PS. there are rules about how many NFL games you can play in until you lose eligibility.

IMO Redman or Ryan starts the season. Harrington has no chance obviously since taking a 2/3 paycut is the only way he got to make the team for now.

Why does Ryan get crowned the better QB?

Both he and DJ were one hit wonders in college.

Both have never started a NFL game( although DJ has at least thrown against pro)

DJ actually was statistically better in his final year of college(plus he came out early)

Im not rallying for DJ or Ryan to start because I feel if they cant play cut'em both.

zone3lb (4/30/2008)

DJ? Is gone.