Can our secondary defend the pass in 09?

I'd say we can fairly do well. I think we wont be in the top of the league nor the bottom. But I have faith in this set of secondary. But I can be completely wrong because other than chris and chevis, I haven't seen the others play as much. But I sure am liking what I hear about the others.

Look at it this way....

We got younger and SLOWER in the secondary...

It's the first year of a new defensive scheme and we have ONE guy that can rush the passer so we really don't have a pass rush.....

We're going to be playing 'catch-up' a lot next season because we're going to be giving up a lot of deep stuff...

The 'smashmouth' system will be thrown out the window after the half....

Its not like Meangelo Fall covered anybody anyway.  All he did was get beat and then blame someone else for it.  Maybe now we'll have a more complete secondary instead of relying on him to cover one side of the field.  I couldn't be anymore happy about our situation.  It couldn't be any worse than last year.

Jtrill19 (4/30/2008)
Its not like Meangelo Fall covered anybody anyway.  All he did was get beat and then blame someone else for it.  Maybe now we'll have a more complete secondary instead of relying on him to cover one side of the field.  I couldn't be anymore happy about our situation.  It couldn't be any worse than last year.

:rolleyes:

You may not like Hall, but he was BY FAR the best corner on the team.  You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think our secondary is better without him... even if we are running a cover 2, you can't replace his speed and instincts.

He didn't cover anybody... pfff... he was the only CB on this team last year with an interception.  How does he have 5 interceptions and the rest of our corners have none if he can't cover anyone? 

Carter (5/1/2008)
Jtrill19 (4/30/2008)

:rolleyes:

You may not like Hall, but he was BY FAR the best corner on the team.  You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think our secondary is better without him... even if we are running a cover 2, you can't replace his speed and instincts.

He didn't cover anybody... pfff... he was the only CB on this team last year with an interception.  How does he have 5 interceptions and the rest of our corners have none if he can't cover anyone? 

He reads the message board and follows the haters opinions. He obviously didn't watch any games.

We wont be scaring anyone this year...thats for sure. Our corners and the Ryan pick arent giving anyone the shivers at this point.

Advantage is that we can sneak up on people cause we will be severely underestimated.

Without the needed pressure up front, no corners in the league would be able to cover receivers for an extended period of time.  Like him or not, Hall was the best corner on the team that could sometimes cover up his mistakes with his instints and speed.  Fast forward to the 08 season and currently I would say that we have a team of average CBs.  I'm not ready to say that they suck, but without continued pressure from our DL, those average CBs may begin to look below average by default.

A good DL can either make or break a secondary and we'll soon find out which is true for us.

OH MAN! I've been thinking about this one alot. So we got Chevis, Sharp, Gaddis, DeCoud and Fontenot are all good young talent. (Chevis being tops IMO) But who knows who's gonna pan out. Look at Houston. Great speed and reflexes, and spent the whole year chasing around #2WR looking lost. He will probably be a great corner with a little more experience, but If our new guys follow that trend we'll be thin in true pass coverage again. I'm hoping we get a D-fencive rookie of the year out of one of these rookies and they prove me wrong. I'm truely excited about the pics at DB though.

So then there's Hutchins, Harris, Irons, and Grimes. I see one of these guy stepping up huge this year just out of nessesity. Theres some maturity happening here with the second year guys so hopefully we'll see some "ah ha" moments from them this year.

Then there's Turnbull back again...I think our biggest "?" is at the safety positions, but I'm glad we've brought in some more choices. God what are we gonna do with J-Dub. I love him, I hope he puts it all together this year and finds a home in the Secondary somewhere. He's got something, just gotta get him hitting hard like he did in college.