Why Dimitroff's first draft was a success.

I really like what TD did with the defense.

Many have complained about the fact that we didnt draft a DT. i think what people fail to realize is that after dorsey and ellis were off the board, the rest of the DT crop in this draft werent much better than what we already have on our roster at DT... TD might have actually seen this ahead of time, that might be why we brought in the likes of Moorhead, Moore and the other guy.

In that sense i like what Dimitroff's goal in the draft was. We werent gonna get any stellar defensive tackles, let alone any defensive lineman, so instead TD stockpiled talent in the defensive backfield. This is a great move in that our defensive backs are just as bad as our defensive lineman, but TD saw the depth available in the DB class, and he snatched some nice players there.

THen with the LB core, probably the strongest point of our defense, he added a couple more in Lofton and James. Lofton will be a starter for us and i love that pick, he hits hard and will anchor the middle in a way that Brooking just couldnt get done. We move Brooking back to WLB and we feel the eliteness with Boley, Lofton, and Brooking on the field at the same time. With rotational players such as Nicholas, taylor, and james we will have a very good LB core immediately. Same goes for the defensive backs. We have so many now, its guaranteed that we got a star or 2 out of this draft.

It feels like TD pretty much addressed the entire Back 7 of the defense just with this draft.. Now he can look at the next draft if needed and say, ok lets go ahead and create a ferocious pass rush and then we will have talent all over the defensive side of the ball.

Now for the offense, i think its pretty much straightforward..We got our franchise QB, and an OT to protect that investment along with the investment we made before with Michael Turner. We also added an excellent 2nd or 3rd option receiver in Douglass, who has the skill set to become a starter in this league IMO. I think that alone was enough to address our offense in the short term. Long term, we will indeed need more O-lineman, but we have to see where thats needed. we have 2 recently drafted starters on the left side of the line with Blalock last year and now Baker will be joining him. Weiner is a solid player and I like for him to stay with us as long as he continues playing in the nfl. As for kynan forney, idk how much longer he has, he gets injured a lot now, and mcclure has always been a quandary. Coaches always seem to like him, though he doesnt seem very good to me. TE isnt as important in our offense and we already got our starter in Hartsock and picked up an extra body with Zinger. I think we did a good job in the short run to improve the offense.

So in conclusion i think everyone needs to remember this is a full blown rebuilding project. Both our lines are still questionable, but we took some small steps to address them and we will have to see how they perform in our new schemes before we start assuming what we need and dont need. We will have Matt Ryan starting by next year most likely, and that will be when we exit rebuilding mode and start competing for a championship. For now we're gonna stockpile talent and figure out wehere we need help. I think TD did a good job in that respect. That is all :)

I think "overall" that this was a pretty good draft. I just wish Mike Smith and Dimitroff would not have told us they were going to "build the lines" if they were not going to do it. Also, Mike Smith said on at least two occassions that I recall something to the effect of "We like more than just the top two defensive linemen in this draft". Well, obviously with the spin we are getting now that that was just a lie.

I think the Falcons MISCALCULATED!  I think what really happened is the Falcons thought they could probably trade up into early 20's for Jeff Otah or Gosder Cherilus and then thought that Sam Baker would fall to the #34 spot.  If this would have happened, obviously everyone would be a lot happier about the offensive line.

I still believe taking Robert James and Kroy whatever his name is was a mistake. The upside for these guys is "special teams ace" and I don't think you have to invest draft picks for special teams......Roy Schuening-OG-Oregon State and Carl Nicks, OT-Nebraska would have fit the Falcons "smash-mouth" offensive line-style and both were available in the 5th round.

I was OK with Ryan, Baker, Lofton, Jackson, Douglas, DeCoud......after that, the draft was a mystery to me....

i think it was a very good draft, TD and MS threw everyone off, including me, with the build through the lines idea, they said it publicly and often looking back it was probably a smokescreen to throw other teams off. we'll probably be in the market for more linemen next year though

I was really surprised about not taking Nicks also since he was highly rated and fell so low.

Didn't he have some recent trouble with the law though? I think he got arrested for Drunken Disorderly or something. Probably made them just mark him off the board.

Passing on Shuening was a bigger head scratcher.

But Blank hired them for a reason. I am a big enough optimist to easily stay positive despite some moves I don't understand.

Drafting Special Teams Aces are not necessarily a bad thing. If it pans out, that means that Starting Field Position will be more favorable for the O and D. And that is a huge boon for both sides of the ball.

Win that 3rd phase of the game and the other 2 get so much easier to win.

g-dawg (4/30/2008)
I think "overall" that this was a pretty good draft. I just wish Mike Smith and Dimitroff would not have told us they were going to "build the lines" if they were not going to do it. Also, Mike Smith said on at least two occassions that I recall something to the effect of "We like more than just the top two defensive linemen in this draft". Well, obviously with the spin we are getting now that that was just a lie.

I think the Falcons MISCALCULATED! I think what really happened is the Falcons thought they could probably trade up into early 20's for Jeff Otah or Gosder Cherilus and then thought that Sam Baker would fall to the #34 spot. If this would have happened, obviously everyone would be a lot happier about the offensive line.

I still believe taking Robert James and Kroy whatever his name is was a mistake. The upside for these guys is "special teams ace" and I don't think you have to invest draft picks for special teams......Roy Schuening-OG-Oregon State and Carl Nicks, OT-Nebraska would have fit the Falcons "smash-mouth" offensive line-style and both were available in the 5th round.

I was OK with Ryan, Baker, Lofton, Jackson, Douglas, DeCoud......after that, the draft was a mystery to me....

Why would the Falcons take Otah and then take Baker at 34? We are moving Blalock to RT so we needed a LT. What sense would it have made to have taken 2 OT with our first 3 picks?

And we traded 34 to move up for Baker. Had we traded up for Otah, the 34 likely would have been included in that deal as well.

g-dawg (4/30/2008)

I think the Falcons MISCALCULATED!  I think what really happened is the Falcons thought they could probably trade up into early 20's for Jeff Otah or Gosder Cherilus and then thought that Sam Baker would fall to the #34 spot.  If this would have happened, obviously everyone would be a lot happier about the offensive line.

It was not necessarly a lie, but more of a smoke screen to see if we could get some one to bite and move up and take dorsey so that way we could have received there number one this year and next.  It did not work, but that is ok if given the chance TD and Smith will start loading up on draft picks like they did this year and doing some very strategical moves in the draft to move up but not lose any picks at all just move them down a couple of spots.

This IMO was a great draft who cares if we draft top 5 or 10 next year San Diego did it for 3-4 years and so did Indy.  Look at them now they are jugernauts(spelling) for the most part.  They are averaging 11+ wins a year.

We arent moving Blaylock to RT. He was just playing there for a mini camp to see his versatility. Mini camp they were trying to see what people can do to match up with the draft boards. Obviously the guys we have on both lines must have showed the coaches something. And the DBs and LBs showed them less. I take their evaluation because it is what they do and our new FO are regarded as good talent evaluators if nothing else. Also they are all on the same page which is also comforting.

Dedsquirrl (4/30/2008)
I was really surprised about not taking Nicks also since he was highly rated and fell so low.

Didn't he have some recent trouble with the law though? I think he got arrested for Drunken Disorderly or something. Probably made them just mark him off the board.

Passing on Shuening was a bigger head scratcher.

But Blank hired them for a reason. I am a big enough optimist to easily stay positive despite some moves I don't understand.

Drafting Special Teams Aces are not necessarily a bad thing. If it pans out, that means that Starting Field Position will be more favorable for the O and D. And that is a huge boon for both sides of the ball.

Win that 3rd phase of the game and the other 2 get so much easier to win.

Your sig is hypnotizing.

Noneof us know how versatile the OL we have are.  Pancakes will probally play RT, Stepanovich will also probably play back up at everything but the tackle.  Then we have the back ups from last year that now has about a year of starting experience under their belt which in this league is a very good thing to have in a back up.

Here's my take:

1.  The new staff is trying to build a team that can win consistently for the long term and they know what type of players that will take.

2.  I'm guessing there are 10-15 current players who are in the long term plans.

So, when deciding which player to pick( like Lofton over an O-lineman), they took the player who they feel will be here for many years and not one who could possibly need to be replaced in a year or two.  In other words, they took a great LB over suspect lineman (atleast in their eyes).