Great stat on Sam Baker

I was listening to Late Hits tonight in SIRIUS NFL Radio, and they were talking about Sam Baker. I did not know this, but I found it interesting.

Sam Baker started 4 years at USC, and in that time, he allowed just 4 and a half sacks, in 889 pass attempts. That, ladies and gents, is getting the job done. So whoever thinks that he was a reach... consider that. This guy is going to get the job done for us.

southernthunder85 (4/30/2008)
I was listening to Late Hits tonight in SIRIUS NFL Radio, and they were talking about Sam Baker. I did not know this, but I found it interesting.

Sam Baker started 4 years at USC, and in that time, he allowed just 4 and a half sacks, in 889 pass attempts. That, ladies and gents, is getting the job done. So whoever thinks that he was a reach... consider that. This guy is going to get the job done for us.

Those are some impressive stats.  This correlates directly with what TD and Smith were looking for in drafting new players to the team. 

birdz4i (4/30/2008)
and my question, just like with jake long, how many premier DE's did he face in college?

What does that have to do with anything.  IN the NFL lineman dont face a premier DE with every single team they face.  What matter is that with these Stats Baker was at the top of his game with the level of competition he faced college. If he can produce those results, then we are looking for him to put that some work ethic for the Falcons

jaymadd1 (4/30/2008)
birdz4i (4/30/2008)
and my question, just like with jake long, how many premier DE's did he face in college?

What does that have to do with anything. IN the NFL lineman dont face a premier DE with every single team they face. What matter is that with these Stats Baker was at the top of his game with the level of competition he faced college. If he can produce those results, then we are looking for him to put that some work ethic for the Falcons

it has everything to do with it. he hasn't faced the speed or power of the DE's he will face every week in the league. i don't think there has been a DE from the PAC 10 drafted higher than the 3rd round in that time that hasn't played for USC.

birdz4i (4/30/2008)

Well, he was with them for 2 National Championships, and his team played in a BCS bowl game all 4 years he started. So they played against the best teams in college football. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Tron5000 (4/30/2008)
Doesn't matter who he faced (which would include all Pac-10 competition and Texas in the NC game), he allowed sacks at a clip of 0.005% of his plays. That's once every 197.6 snaps. 3-time All American. That's pretty impressive.

well considering most of the top pass rusher have come from the SEC and ACC the past few years, i'd say it would matter if he hasn't faced the top talent.

I like the pick, while most people think that it may be a reach, the Smith and Dimitroff just wanted to make sure they filled a position of need with a good player, and they believe they did that. I like where the franchise is going and am nothing but excited for this season!!

birdz4i (4/30/2008)

Well, he was with them for 2 National Championships, and his team played in a BCS bowl game all 4 years he started. So they played against the best teams in college football. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

oh, so once a year he might have faced a premier DE. thats great, he will be facing them every week in the NFL. no need to attack me when i am making a legit point.

jaymadd1 (4/30/2008)
birdz4i (4/30/2008)

What does that have to do with anything.  IN the NFL lineman dont face a premier DE with every single team they face.  What matter is that with these Stats Baker was at the top of his game with the level of competition he faced college. If he can produce those results, then we are looking for him to put that some work ethic for the Falcons

That applies to every college player that enters into the draft. We are looking for the players that performed the best against the competition they faced while in college.  Hoping that as they grasp the new speed of the NFL, that the can duplicate their production from college

birdz4i (4/30/2008)

QFT

Winners Win (4/30/2008)
birdz4i (4/30/2008)

QFT

I'm sorry, did you have something to say?

birdz4i (4/30/2008)

Four years with USC.  I believe that puts him on 2 teams that made it to the National Championship game.  Regardless of who he faced, he was solid and consistent. 

Winners Win (4/30/2008)
birdz4i (4/30/2008)

QFT

No I quoted you for truth :D You said it all.

Winners Win (4/30/2008)
Winners Win (4/30/2008)
birdz4i (4/30/2008)

QFT

Oh, sorry... I didn't know what QFT meant... I thought it might mean "quit f___ing talking" :D

Winners Win (4/30/2008)
Winners Win (4/30/2008)
birdz4i (4/30/2008)

QFT

Oh, sorry... I didn't know what QFT meant... I thought it might mean "quit f___ing talking" :D

And that would be the inherent danger of TLAs. :) QFT can mean Quoted For Truth or Quit F'n Talking. Funny how that works, huh? :hehe:

birdz4i (4/30/2008)
Tron5000 (4/30/2008)
Doesn't matter who he faced (which would include all Pac-10 competition and Texas in the NC game), he allowed sacks at a clip of 0.005% of his plays. That's once every 197.6 snaps. 3-time All American. That's pretty impressive.

well considering most of the top pass rusher have come from the SEC and ACC the past few years, i'd say it would matter if he hasn't faced the top talent.

Actually most of the top pass rushers have come from the acc - gaines adams, mario williams, chris long, phillip merling, darryl tapp, mathias kawianuka, calais campbel,

sec, big ten are next the big east/pac tan have none basically. There's actually a few from random schools but anyway here is a list of 1st/2nd round picks that baker went up against. Its not bad:

Darly Tapp

Dan Cody

Adam Carriker

Lamar Woodly

Bruce Davis

Tim Crowder

Jamal Anderson

Lawrance Jackson

Victor Abiamiri

Ikaika Alama-Francis

michael garvin (4/30/2008)
birdz4i (4/30/2008)
Tron5000 (4/30/2008)

Actually most of the top pass rushers have come from the acc - gaines adams, mario williams, chris long, phillip merling, darryl tapp, mathias kawianuka, calais campbel,

sec, big ten are next the big east/pac tan have none basically. There's actually a few from random schools but anyway here is a list of 1st/2nd round picks that baker went up against. Its not bad:

Darly Tapp

Dan Cody

Adam Carriker

Lamar Woodly

Bruce Davis

Tim Crowder

Jamal Anderson

Lawrance Jackson

Victor Abiamiri

Ikaika Alama-Francis

glad to see someone understands the point i was trying to make and thanks that list, has some decent names on it.

atlantaprodj (4/30/2008)
dsgbncali (4/30/2008)
they may not be premier but they are a helluva lot better then what he would face in college

That's the truth for every rookie coming into the league.

He was the projected number 2 first round OT until he had a injury I read.

He's healthy and a Falcon... I like him.

I was just going to post the last point, glad to see other people realise it too.

birdz4i (4/30/2008)
jaymadd1 (4/30/2008)
birdz4i (4/30/2008)

What does that have to do with anything. IN the NFL lineman dont face a premier DE with every single team they face. What matter is that with these Stats Baker was at the top of his game with the level of competition he faced college. If he can produce those results, then we are looking for him to put that some work ethic for the Falcons

it has everything to do with it. he hasn't faced the speed or power of the DE's he will face every week in the league. i don't think there has been a DE from the PAC 10 drafted higher than the 3rd round in that time that hasn't played for USC.

There's always someone that is looking to find fault with what this team does-no matter that they dont have a clue of the process themselves.  Baker's stats speak for themselves.  You could give the same argument about Dorsey, LOng, every player selected about not having played against the "premier" players.  Just get over it.  Baker's here, TD did a good job and thats it.

LOL @ people trying to be smart in TATF. :w00t:

Sam Baker was a great LT in college.  He can only be judged on his merits and he has performed consistently great.  All that remains is for him to translate to the NFL.

Sorry we couldn't draft Chuck Norris in Chris Farley's body for you.