NFL Appeals Doty Decision

birdweiserrr

NFL APPEALS DOTY DECISION

Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2008, 8:04 p.m.

As expected, the NFL is taking its challenge to Judge David Doty to the next level.

According to Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal, the league formally filed an appeal of Doty s recent decision to uphold the refusal of the Falcons effort to recover millions in bonus money from quarterback Michael Vick and to reject the NFL s attempt to dump Doty from the case.

The paperwork was filed with the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, which ultimately will assign a three-judge panel to decide whether Doty got it right, or got it wrong.

The legal fight is an example of the mood currently prevailing between the league and the union, setting the stage for potentially nasty contract negotiations and, possibly, a work stoppage.

birdweiserrr (4/29/2008)
NFL APPEALS DOTY DECISION

Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2008, 8:04 p.m.

As expected, the NFL is taking its challenge to Judge David Doty to the next level.

According to Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal, the league formally filed an appeal of Doty s recent decision to uphold the refusal of the Falcons effort to recover millions in bonus money from quarterback Michael Vick and to reject the NFL s attempt to dump Doty from the case.

The paperwork was filed with the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, which ultimately will assign a three-judge panel to decide whether Doty got it right, or got it wrong.

The legal fight is an example of the mood currently prevailing between the league and the union, setting the stage for potentially nasty contract negotiations and, possibly, a work stoppage.

You would die if Vick is not in the subject of any of your post.

phalconphil (4/29/2008)
i hope vick gets to keep all that money. lord knows the falcons made a lot more than 20 mill off his #####.

and they made it leagally and with good faith. Vick knew he was breaking the law and should have known it would cost him his job and many other things if he got caught.

yumf (4/29/2008)
This is bigger than Vick. I hope the case is thrown out. The only money that is guaranteed is their bonus money. It should be untouchable.

He was in violation of the contract the whole time.Listen carefully and you can hear the dirt being thrown on vick.

sdogg (4/29/2008)
phalconphil (4/29/2008)
i hope vick gets to keep all that money. lord knows the falcons made a lot more than 20 mill off his #####.

and they made it leagally and with good faith. Vick knew he was breaking the law and should have known it would cost him his job and many other things if he got caught.

actually it wasnt until a month before he was busted that it became a felony. he would have gotten a slap on the wrist. he didnt know hed be doin time for dogfighting. nobody else was.

phalconphil (4/29/2008)
sdogg (4/29/2008)
phalconphil (4/29/2008)

actually it wasnt until a month before he was busted that it became a felony. he would have gotten a slap on the wrist. he didnt know hed be doin time for dogfighting. nobody else was.

Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. Even had it not been made a felony, a QB in the NFL should have some common sense not to get involved with barbaric activity.  Had Vick spent the time he was organizing and attending dog fights, on more constructive things like, lets see, being a better QB, he would have been the ultimate weapon.

bigduke633 (4/29/2008)
yumf (4/29/2008)
This is bigger than Vick. I hope the case is thrown out. The only money that is guaranteed is their bonus money. It should be untouchable.

He was in violation of the contract the whole time.Listen carefully and you can hear the dirt being thrown on vick.

Hopefully that changed in the next CBA.

Rsmith (4/29/2008)
Actually dog fighting was a federal misdemeanor during all the times Vick was accused of dogfighting. It was not made a felony until after the dates he was accused of doing it. However, the multi-state gambling conspiracy was and is a felony.

The gambling side is what I believe will keep Vick from ever returning to the NFL. You can't have an NFL player running a multi-state gambling operation. Combine that with the PR hit the league would take for allowing him back (from the dog fighting) and it's safe to say he'll never play in the NFL again.

birdweiserrr (4/29/2008)
Rsmith (4/29/2008)
Actually dog fighting was a federal misdemeanor during all the times Vick was accused of dogfighting. It was not made a felony until after the dates he was accused of doing it. However, the multi-state gambling conspiracy was and is a felony.

The gambling side is what I believe will keep Vick from ever returning to the NFL. You can't have an NFL player running a multi-state gambling operation. Combine that with the PR hit the league would take for allowing him back (from the dog fighting) and it's safe to say he'll never play in the NFL again.

I agree. The Pete Rose precedent will be up held by the commissioner. I am a Vick "hugger" but I will say that in my opinion Michael Vick will never again play in the NFL.

birdweiserrr (4/29/2008)
Rsmith (4/29/2008)

Yeah, I'm sure Joel Segal was thinking "oh no way he'll play again", but just played it off real well when he made those comments to Adam Scheftner. Couldn't you see the shifty look in Segal's eyes??

sdogg (4/29/2008)
phalconphil (4/29/2008)
sdogg (4/29/2008)
phalconphil (4/29/2008)

Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. Even had it not been made a felony, a QB in the NFL should have some common sense not to get involved with barbaric activity.  Had Vick spent the time he was organizing and attending dog fights, on more constructive things like, lets see, being a better QB, he would have been the ultimate weapon.

You can never be the ultimate weapon with a bum supporting cast.  Sure he could've worked harded at becoming a better quarterback...but would our O-line let it been seen? Would our wide-outs let it be seen?  Look no further than 7-24 without him.

atljbo (4/30/2008)
The NFL is a power house....... If they want to win this case..... They will

Were they not a powerhouse when they lost the original ruling? Its not even about Michael Vick's bonus money anymore, they're setting the stage for the end of the CBA and they want their nemesis David Doty removed. Now when there is no salary cap due to all this, I wonder how all these people hollering about Vick's money are gonna feel when Arthur Blank can't sign anybody but high school players because owners like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder are stockpiling their teams with no problems. They're tripping over money right now and will be able to get anybody they want....not an owner who made a negative 3.4 mil last year in gross profits. Just because you can draft players,  doesn't mean you can keep them after a few years.

phalconphil (4/29/2008)

this is too funny.......I bet you Michael Vick has probably already blown through most of the monies he received from the Falcons....

10 years from now, MV will probably be living under a bridge somewhere.

g-dawg (4/30/2008)

this is too funny.......I bet you Michael Vick has probably already blown through most of the monies he received from the Falcons....

10 years from now, MV will probably be living under a bridge somewhere.

Nope, just count the number of high priced lawyers still around him. If he didn't have money they'd drop him so fast it would make your head spin. Those guys have to pay for their Mercedes and the upkeep on their mistresses.