Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OC

Why We SHOULD NOT Have Drafted Matt Ryan...

3 posts in this topic

First and foremost, I am not a football expert. I am simply a fan of the game of football, and especially the Atlanta Falcons. And from my perspective, I feel as though the Falcons made a mistake in taking Matt Ryan, and especially at the #3 pick. Here are my reasons why: 

1) He was not worth the #3 overall pick. Glenn Dorsey has the better chance to make the greater impact earlier. Not to mention, Darren McFadden was available.

2) He wasn't the best QB available. Especially when you have talent like Andre Woodson and Matt Flynn, just to name a few, who have won in the SEC, which is arguably the toughest division in college football. They could have gotten someone better in the second round.

3) We don't necessarily need a QB. I'm not talking about Redman, nor am I talking about Joey Harrington. I'm talking about DJ Shockley. Yes, he is coming off of a serious injury, which means it will probably take about a year for him to fully recover, get comfortable, and play up to his potential, but that will still put you in a better position than having an uncertain rookie come in and lead the team.

4) We should have rebuilt the defense which needs more work. And picking a QB doesn't guarantee that you are on the right track. Cincinatti shows us that having a great offense means nothing if your defense can't do anything.

Let me know how you feel, and if you have any additional reasons, please list them...

OC (4/28/2008)
First and foremost, I am not a football expert. I am simply a fan of the game of football, and especially the Atlanta Falcons. And from my perspective, I feel as though the Falcons made a mistake in taking Matt Ryan, andespecially at the#3 pick. Here are my reasons why:

1) He was not worth the #3 overall pick. Glenn Dorsey has the better chance to make the greater impact earlier. Not to mention, Darren McFadden was available.

2) He wasn't the best QB available. Especially when you have talent like Andre Woodson and Matt Flynn, just to name a few, who have won in the SEC, which is arguably the toughest division in college football. They could have gotten someone better in the second round.

3) We don't necessarily need a QB. I'm not talking about Redman, nor am I talking about Joey Harrington. I'm talking about DJ Shockley. Yes, he is coming off of a serious injury, which means it will probably take about a year for him to fully recover, get comfortable, and play up to his potential, but that will still put you in a better position than having an uncertain rookie come in and lead the team.

4) We should have rebuilt the defense which needs more work. And picking a QB doesn't guarantee that you are on the right track. Cincinatti shows us that having a great offense means nothing if your defense can't do anything.

Let me know how you feel, and if you have any additional reasons, please list them...

Darren McFadden being available has nothing to do with anything since we were never going to draft him anyway.