WHAT NO ONE HERE KNOWS: THE RESULTS OF THE EVALUATIONS AS THEY FIT IN OUR SCHEME, REJHAB STATUS FOR INJURED OR IF ANY OF THESE MONSTER FA OL WILL PLAY WELL

gazoo

First of all, we all know we did not have a pure LT on the roster, and we did what we had to to plug that enormous hole and we did it with a 1st round pick. But what about the rest of the OL? Don't forget we were plagued by an unusual amount of injuries on the OL last year, so some of these players will be back....and in a new scheme.

The fact is, we have a lot of massive OL on the depth chart right now.

How did TD/Smith/Mularkey rate the 335lb OT Renardo Foster? Coud he play RT next year? What about OG? For being raw as ****, he actually played well until he went down. Is he expected to fully recover and produce as a backup this year with potential starter next year?

How about Weiner...perhaps TD/Smith/Mularkey are getting good reports on is health and feel he's probably going to be starting all year at RT for us? Only they know.

What about Blalock? Do coaches like what they saw and feel he's going to become a force this year and pairing him with a real LT and other capable starters that this line is better than it becomes much better than the fans might realize?

What about the 315lb Tyson Clabo who actually played wel at RT last year? Is Clabo a better fit in this scheme and do TD/Smith/Mularkey have plans for him to be a starter?

How about Forney? TD/Smith/Mularkey may feel he is an excellent fit in this scheme at RG. Foreny was always regarded as a mauler with a mean streak....seems he may have found the right coaching staff.

What about our 300lb 6th round OC we drafted last year Doug Datish? Do TD/Smith/Mularkey think this 6th rounder is as good or better as any other OC we could have grabbed out of the bottom of the 6th throughout the 7th round when we saw a bunch get taken?

What about the 334lb OG Kurt Quarterman? Do coaches feel he could be a capable backup in this scheme?

What about 6'6", 330lb Mrs Butterworth?

We also brought in 300lb Stepanovich, 305 lb Ben Wilkerson, 330LB Pat McCoy, 6'7" 325lb Terrance Pennington, 315lb Harvey Dahl and 318lb D'Anthony Batiste.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I believe that Smith and TD know more than us, fans, about this team. Still I'm little bit questioning the thing that we didn't draft DT. Hmmm, maybe they will try 3-4 because we got a lot of LBs. :)

Let's wait and see.

papi (4/27/2008)
So are we considered set on both sides of the interior? no sarcasm...want to know if this is actually the belief by our leadership and reason for not addressing this area.

I dont think we're set, but i think we're in better shape then most fans feel we are.  We've signed people and have players on our roster that didn't fit a zone blocking scheme previous years and didn't get coached well last year.  We also signed a few DLman that has yet to play a down for us and the only people who know wut they can do is the FO.  I jus have hope.

i agree. maybe the talent wasnt there to justify replacing what we have already. we dont know, as much as some of us would like to believe. im with you on this gazoo. i think the draft went fine, even though i would have preferred getting a 2nd rd qb we did what we did and im going to assume nfl professionals know more about the situation than i do untill otherwise proven wrong. heres hoping matt was worth the #3. thats what this whole draft boils down to.

I agree with you Gazoo. We addressed the position that we had no choice but to address, and I think there's reason to believe that there are adequate starters at the rest of the positions to go into 2008. I hope that we make OL a priority again in next year's draft, and we make it a habit to address those positions early as a new philosophy of the organization, but we addressed a lot of needs in the last two days, as we can't lose sight of that.

We are unquestionably a better team today than we were on Friday.

Sun Tzu 7 (4/27/2008)
Only the Falcons...

Fans of every other team are happy and looking foward to the future...

We have to try to convince each otherour draft wasn't a disaster...

This is PAINFULLY familiar...

Because there are so many morons running around and no matter who were pick or where we pick them it is wrong no matter what. we need depth at linebacker in the worse way . I think its one of out most underrated needs , yet when we pick linebackers people about hang themselves.

We need a Lt so we trade up and get arguably the best available and people complained we gave up too much.....but had we not done that those same people would have bitched we let all the tackles get drafted. we add speed and return possibility with 2 picks yet people complain ........never mind we were 1 of only 10 teams NOT to have a return for a td last year.

You see people complaining about secondary picks yet they do not realize teams like the saints and bucs who love to come out with 3-4-5 wide or other formations that cause mismatches with a base defense personnel.

Was it a perfect draft and did I agree with everything?????? nope not at all however looking at our roster I can see where every pick made sense even if I would have went another direction.........but I am just a fan who have watched this team for a long long time and as much as I love the game and as much as I watch it and talk about it and study and hopefully get back into coaching it...... I will not presumptuous enough to think I know more then men who spent their entire lives not only watching the game but LIVING the game as well.

The fact that on here there area large % who think their ##### don't stink and they DO know more shows exactly why Atlanta for all the great fans we have have some of the dumbest most ignorant uneducated when it comes to football fans in the nfl.

Scrappy777

yeah that too.

Scrappy, I've been on the boards here for close to 10 drafts now and it's always the same thing.....an element of the fanbase come unhinged if the front office does not pick who they think should have been picked and then attack with vitriol whatever player WAS picked. It's horrible to watch, but it happens every year.

I watched the front office just ge hammered after the Boley, Laurant Robinson and Schaub picks. We apparently didn't need these playersat the time according to them.

Sun Tzu 7 (4/27/2008)
What about the "we'll fix the lines next year" thought process?

We do it EVERY year.... and I was hoping this year would be different...

again over the last 3 years we have signed/drafted SEVEN players on the oline.

what more do you honestly want? most teams keep EIGHT active we have added 7 new.

go look at how **** near every other offensive line in the nfl is structured. look at the defending champions, as of this moment we have MORE first days picks on the oline then they did last year.

we have as many first day picks on the o-line as the pats did the last time they actually won the super bowl we have as many as the Steelers did when THEY won the super bowl.

we have added to the line significantly over the last couple of years its just a shame some of you dont realize it.

what more do you honestly want? most teams keep EIGHT active we have added 7 new.

go look at how **** near every other offensive line in the nfl is structured. look at the defending champions, as of this moment we have MORE first days picks on the oline then they did last year.

we have as many first day picks on the o-line as the pats did the last time they actually won the super bowl we have as many as the Steelers did when THEY won the super bowl.

we have added to the line significantly over the last couple of years its just a shame some of you dont realize it.

And every year we convince ourselves the lines aren't that bad.... and then we wonder why we can't run the ball and can't pass protect..

I've heard what you're saying every offseason... and the results are always the same...

Sun Tzu 7 (4/27/2008)

And every year we convince ourselves the lines aren't that bad.... and then we wonder why we can't run the ball and can't pass protect..

I've heard what you're saying every offseason... and the results are always the same...

once again I want to see how we are " well we will fix the lines next year" when each of the last 2 years we have spent first day picks on linemen...................when Norwood was in we ran the ball well and when Redman was in we pass protected well........maybe its not JUST on the o-line?

Scrappy, I've been on the boards here for close to 10 drafts now and it's always the same thing.....an element of the fanbase come unhinged if the front office does not pick who they think should have been picked and then attack with vitriol whatever player WAS picked. It's horrible to watch, but it happens every year.

I watched the front office just ge hammered after the Boley, Laurant Robinson and Schaub picks. We apparently didn't need these playersat the time according to them.

Come on man, give everybody a break. If you've watched the last ten drafts then surely your sick of bad decisions because the last time i checked we have not had back to back winning seasons in the last ten years or ever for that matter.

These guys(the new regime) started this whole mess by stating, Quote (you got to be able to run the ball and you have be able to stop the run) they led everybody to believe that we finally were going to do something we have never done before and that's build up the trenches. Because everybody knows without big guys in the trenches you are going nowhere.

Its no secret that for the last ten years the falcons have not focused on these areas and it shows now because we don't have vick to make our offensive line look good anymore.

This draft was the deepest ever in Lineman and we only walked away with one.

gazoo (4/27/2008)
First of all, we all know we did not have a pure LT on the roster, and we did what we had to to plug that enormous hole and we did it with a 1st round pick. But what about the rest of the OL? Don't forget we were plagued by an unusual amount of injuries on the OL last year, so some of these players will be back....and in a new scheme.

The fact is, we have a lot of massive OL on the depth chart right now.

How did TD/Smith/Mularkey rate the 335lb OT Renardo Foster? Coud he play RT next year? What about OG? For being raw as ****, he actually played well until he went down. Is he expected to fully recover and produce as a backup this year with potential starter next year?

How about Weiner...perhaps TD/Smith/Mularkey are getting good reports on is health and feel he's probably going to be starting all year at RT for us? Only they know.

What about Blalock? Do coaches like what they saw and feel he's going to become a force this year and pairing him with a real LT and other capable starters that this line is better than it becomes much better than the fans might realize?

What about the 315lb Tyson Clabo who actually played wel at RT last year? Is Clabo a better fit in this scheme and do TD/Smith/Mularkey have plans for him to be a starter?

How about Forney? TD/Smith/Mularkey may feel he is an excellent fit in this scheme at RG. Foreny was always regarded as a mauler with a mean streak....seems he may have found the right coaching staff.

What about our 300lb 6th round OC we drafted last year Doug Datish? Do TD/Smith/Mularkey think this 6th rounder is as good or better as any other OC we could have grabbed out of the bottom of the 6th throughout the 7th round when we saw a bunch get taken?

What about the 334lb OG Kurt Quarterman? Do coaches feel he could be a capable backup in this scheme?

We also brought in 300lb Stepanovich, 305 lb Ben Wilkerson, 330LB Pat McCoy, 6'7" 325lb Terrance Pennington, 315lb Harvey Dahl and 318lb D'Anthony Batiste.

GREAT POST.... POST OF THE DAY!

once again I want to see how we are " well we will fix the lines next year" when each of the last 2 years we have spent first day picks on linemen...................when Norwood was in we ran the ball well and when Redman was in we pass protected well........maybe its not JUST on the o-line?

Again,  every year and the results are the same...

well, we got our future LT in Baker. I didn't see any G capable of coming right in and starting besides Albert. I think the coaches would rather take their chances with Blalock at LG(should be improved with better OL coach) and someone like Foster, Clabo, Step, Quarterman, Forney, or Datish at RG. RT could be Clabo, Weiner, or Foster. C is McClure.

Sun Tzu 7 (4/27/2008)

Again, every year and the results are the same...

again right now we have as many first day picks as the giants had when they won the superbowl.......................

you gonna go complain about them?

how about the colts? they constantly "neglect" the o-line

Pats??? again last time they actually won we have as many first day picks on the line as they had when they won their last super bowl- and more then they had when they won their first...........

we have not done any less for our lines then most teams do.

falconsd56 (4/27/2008)
Sun Tzu 7 (4/27/2008)

Again, every year and the results are the same...

again right now we have as many first day picks as the giants had when they won the superbowl.......................

you gonna go complain about them?

how about the colts? they constantly "neglect" the o-line

Pats??? again last time they actually won we have as many first day picks on the line as they had when they won their last super bowl- and more then they had when they won their first...........

we have not done any less for our lines then most teams do.

notice the malcontents won;t address your points or mine? I broke down a perfectly good argument and instead of debating it, the malcontents just start whining about the past. They don't want to look at anything that might challenge their little tizzzies they are in at the moment.

We spent a 1st round p[ick on a LT and a high 2nd rounder on Blalock last year. That's 40% of the freaking line, and LT is the most important one which we used a 1st rounder on.

So in two seasons, we spent high picks on 40% of the line and we also get back some wounded vets. They don't want to hear it, they want to whine and complain instead of debate the topic.