OFFICIAL: Grade the Draft

guys remember there are still FA DTs. remember when almost all of the DTs you guys were suggesting we get in FA, but in the end nobody picked them up? this is the time they get signed. i think we are going to try sign some of those guys, and keep in mind they all arent old dudes. some are young and just never got signed.

i gave us a B-. when you really sit back and read the analysis' of our players you will see that we did pick up some good guys and we filled a lot of needs.

Charleston we were'nt going BPA, we were never going BPA.

I'm going to use the Colts as an example, have you ever looked at their draft board and though "huh?" at some of their picks?

Well they draft for system needs, which is exactly what we were doing today. Now I cant explain the lack of O and D lineman, maybe they lacked the ideal size or whatever I have no clue.

I honestly think the reason this draft is so confusing to us right now is because we dont know exactly what the FO is trying to do. But I think once we get a clear understanding of what it is we're trying to accomplish then we'll be okay.

It seems to me that Dimitroff and Smith threw out the "sexy" names and guys with the outstanding measurables and focused on the "blue collar" guys. Football guys.

They sat down and watched tons of film on the guys that they thought would fit our system and that's how they stacked their board, instead of the traditional BPA.

I know a lot of people dont like this draft, but I think we'll be pleasantly suprised in 2 years or so.

I gave us a B-. I think it would be very hard to not fill a lot of holes with 11 picks. I liked our first 4 picks, but after that I think we went downhill. We had a chance to get a redzone TE, big DT, Manningham, and we went with the fan pleasing but asinine RB pick up of Brown. Seems like maybe TD was just pandering to the fans with the Brown pick because no one we picked really was a favorite at their position.

Guys i was all for us taking QB early, But i never dreamed we would walk away with only one OT or one lineman all together.  We can try to stay positive all we want but let's face it without upgrades to our offensive and defensive lines we will be screwed. Even though Sam is an upgrade, we still needed at least another guard or tackle. 

I know they talked about special teams being a big focus, it definitely looks like they drafted to improve our special teams rather than improving our O and D line.  An outside linebacker that only weighs 219 pounds was a rather odd pick i thought.

I will give it a C.

After being a bit pissed at the realization that we could have had Dorsey, Baker, and Brohm on day one, I calmed down a bit.

Day one I will give a B. We did need a QB, so we did the ballsy thing and took the best one out there (according to people who know more about football than I do). Then we traded back up to take a very good OT, which makes a lot of sense. Then to take an ILB who played lights out at a very good defensive school was a great pickup.

Day two, did we really need all those corners and LB's? I liked some of the picks, but hard to justify taking that many, while not adding any DT, which I thought was probably our second our third greatest need. We took another RB and WR, which I thought might be questionable.

No other OL picks, and one DE.

I also thought we could have made a play for Cotu, and then possibly cut the guy we signed next season.

There were some good DT's on the board for day two, and we let them slide off. I hope we can supplement thru free agency.

Day two grade - D.

All this is probably just horse crap, no one knows what these players will be like years from now.

I gave us an F. The worse case scenario happened this weekend. This was supposed to be our moment of glory with the picks we had but turned into a pile of crap. **** Rich McKay's draft last year was 10 times better than this one. Truly pitiful. The Thomas Dimitroff draft sucks out loud.

I too gave it a C, I thought we did an awesome job on Day 1, I think Ryan will be a franchise qb in a couple years, and lets face it this team is at least 2 years away from being a serious contender, in my own view. This draft was a stepping stone to the next level folks, I don't care who we would've drafted, we are still gonna be losing games next year, there is no way we were gonna fill all our holes in this one draft, I don't believe that and anyone else who does is only kidding themselves.

Face it folks the Vick era is over, time to move on, and the Ryan pick closed the door shut completely on it, time to move on. I for one think it will be a great pick for this team, probably not next year, but in a year or two I think we will look back and be glad he is our Qb.

I too was very disappointed in the lack of picks for the OLine in particular, especially since this draft was so rich in talent at the Tackle position especially, and that was a glaring need for us, but again we have so many holes and I will trust in the leadership of this team to do the right thing, right now we have no choice but to do that. Like I said I don't expect us to win many games this year, but I look at this draft as a stepping stone to greater things down the road, so lets wait and see before we totally give up on the team leaders!

rydolph (4/27/2008)
I gave us an F. The worse case scenario happened this weekend. This was supposed to be our moment of glory with the picks we had but turned into a pile of crap. **** Rich McKay's draft last year was 10 times better than this one. Truly pitiful. The Thomas Dimitroff draft sucks out loud.

This is hilarious considering about half of the posters on here are saying Mckay had his hands all over this draft!  :hehe:

smh @ all the negativity...

I give it a solid B.

C-minus. Baker was a reach. I still don't like the Ryan pick but I can accept it. Lofton was a solid pick.

Day two was pretty bad. Jackson is the only pick I can get excited about. Did we really need two more linebackers? And Biermann is so undersized, maybe he's going to be groomed for free safety...

falconfoozball (4/27/2008)
rydolph (4/27/2008)

This is hilarious considering about half of the posters on here are saying Mckay had his hands all over this draft! :hehe:

smh @ all the negativity...

I give it a solid B.

somebody learned a new word today.roffl