Michael Turner

Legion (4/12/2008)
Why spend as much as we have on him to just pick up and start talking about an overpaid, overrated rookie QB? I think that we should try and build the offense around him (OL) and build a defense to give him the carries. This is just me.

Thats one of the smartest things i've read on these boards. Why set up a guy for failure? When it comes to the o line they need at least one(maybe two) starters. The d-line needs a starter at UT or NT and guys who will be in the rotation immediatey. I also would be fine with a linebacker(J.Mayo,C.Lofton,X.Adibi) in the first five picks.

Because you don't build around players you build around a scheme. That way, when your player goes down, you don't lose most of your games. If we had an OL before the Vick shenanigan's, we wouldn't have gone 4-12. We shouldn't build an offense or defense around one player, we should build them around winning.

sporkdevil (4/12/2008)
Because you don't build around players you build around a scheme. That way, when your player goes down, you don't lose most of your games. If we had an OL before the Vick shenanigan's, we wouldn't have gone 4-12. We shouldn't build an offense or defense around one player, we should build them around winning.
Well the scheme is power run...so what does THAT phrase (power run) have to do with drafted a QB 3rd overall or speding two picks for Brohm?

Well, overpaid and overrated could very well be describing Turner himself. No one knows he's going to be any good for us. He's been a backup his whole career. He could be a guy who just needs to play to be good, or he could very well be a guy who is all hype and no substance.

The team needed an every down back and he was pretty much it as far as FA prospects went. They rolled the dice on this guy and let's hope he pans out. We're going to pass on McFadden in two weeks, so he has alot to live up to...

thanat0s (4/13/2008)
Well, overpaid and overrated could very well be describing Turner himself. No one knows he's going to be any good for us. He's been a backup his whole career. He could be a guy who just needs to play to be good, or he could very well be a guy who is all hype and no substance.

The team needed an every down back and he was pretty much it as far as FA prospects went. They rolled the dice on this guy and let's hope he pans out. We're going to pass on McFadden in two weeks, so he has alot to live up to...

You roll the dice on every player that is ever taken! No one knew L.T. would turn out to be L.T. or that Larry Johnson would turn out to be Larry Johnson, who was gonna be a career backup basically until Priest Holmes got hurt. Chiefs **** near forgot about Holmes by now entirely after the numbers Johnson put up. So, with that being said, Turner didnt ask to be a back-up, he was CHOSEN to be. And with his time to shine this year, he will PROVE to everyone that he deserved to be chosen as a starter from the beginning. All the Falcons need is a decent line to open some holes and Turner will be Top 5 easily.

Legion (4/13/2008)
sporkdevil (4/12/2008)
Well the scheme is power run...so what does THAT phrase (power run) have to do with drafted a QB 3rd overall or speding two picks for Brohm?

You are both right. We needed an OL when vick was here which would have helped him be a successful player just as we need one now that we have Turner....which will make him effective.

Can't do anything on offense without the line which is the foundation.

Matthew Pritts (4/13/2008)
thanat0s (4/13/2008)
Well, overpaid and overrated could very well be describing Turner himself. No one knows he's going to be any good for us. He's been a backup his whole career.
He's backed up LT his whole career, yet that makes him overrated? :blink:

Only Atlanta fans would say this.

On top of that, when LT had to sit out a game, Turner played darn well with what opportunities he's had.

Legion (4/12/2008)
Why spend as much as we have on him to just pick up and start talking about an overpaid, overrated rookie QB? I think that we should try and build the offense around him (OL) and build a defense to give him the carries. This is just me.

In principal I agree. But with all our picks I think we can do both - build the OL and have a rookie QB in grooming for the future.

1. It is possible to build an OL without drafting an OT at #3. After all, we do have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds this year. Jake Long will almost certianly be gone by #3 anyway.

2. You talk about wanting to "build an offense" around Turner yet you are suggesting that we cut corners at arguably the most important positon of all - QB. That makes no sense at all. In any event, you CAN'T be too one dimensional at this level. A Sub-par passing game will ultimately result in failure, no matter how good Turner may be. To succeed you have to build a multi-dimensional team with talent and depth.

3. You NEVER build around 1 player. If you do, when that 1 player goes down with injury you've had it. We made that misake with Jamal Anderson and - to a lesser extent MV.

Even if we take a QB we need the OL for two reasons:

1.  To play ground control until the qb grows up. And

2.  To protect the qb when we throw him to the fire. 

Three yards and a cloud of dust is a reasonable approach until we get the other pieces in place and get them working.  And that's going to take a while./

I agree with both of you - UKfalcon and Dr. Reality. You have to be multi-dimensional, however, all aspects of the offense won't be able to progress at the same time.

Coach says he wants to be able to run the ball and stop the run. I'm sure we will have a balanced approach but I see the run setting up the pass, based on our talent level. One our line stabalizes and we have a solid qb, I see us being able to mix it up even more.

Overall, I think you're both right.

thanat0s (4/13/2008)
Well, overpaid and overrated could very well be describing Turner himself. No one knows he's going to be any good for us. He's been a backup his whole career.

That's because he's played behind the best running back in the NFL.

Here's your sign.

fiya_man (4/13/2008)
thanat0s (4/13/2008)

You roll the dice on every player that is ever taken! No one knew L.T. would turn out to be L.T. or that Larry Johnson would turn out to be Larry Johnson, who was gonna be a career backup basically until Priest Holmes got hurt. Chiefs **** near forgot about Holmes by now entirely after the numbers Johnson put up. So, with that being said, Turner didnt ask to be a back-up, he was CHOSEN to be. And with his time to shine this year, he will PROVE to everyone that he deserved to be chosen as a starter from the beginning. All the Falcons need is a decent line to open some holes and Turner will be Top 5 easily.

How many superbowls did Earl Campbell, Eddie George, OJ Simpson & Eric Dickerson win between them?