i say do not draft a qb this year...

falcon_eyes

address as much as u can this year outside the qb position.  see what our current qbs can do this year while getting all our new guys a year of experience, and then next year get the qb.  next year draft will have better qbs anyway, and then we would be a solid playoff contender!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QB's MOST of the time wait a year to learn before they even start a game, thinking that we can get a QB next year and get in playoffs that year with that QB... unlikely for him to even play.

I say get a QB in one of the 2nd round picks we got and have him learn behind Harrington and he may even take over around week 12 depending how he does.

mindgame (4/12/2008)
QB's MOST of the time wait a year to learn before they even start a game, thinking that we can get a QB next year and get in playoffs that year with that QB... unlikely for him to even play.

I say get a QB in one of the 2nd round picks we got and have him learn behind Harrington and he may even take over around week 12 depending how he does.

why cant we be a solid playoff team with redman, harrington and still having our future qb on the bench that will take us to the sb in the years after his rookie year?

Headshot (4/12/2008)
isproab (4/12/2008)
The QB class for next year is not as good as 2008. Where do you get your information? I really want to know.

Well that's not really fair. How can he compete with someone like you who obviously gets their information from the future?

No, honestly, who are the top 2009 prospects that everybody will be going after in 2009? It has been mentioned that it is a weak class by people that do this for a living. You can look at it and see it for yourself.

Todd Boeckman - may be the top prospect and is numbers were not eye popping.

Rudy Carpenter - very good numbers, but undersized.

Curtis Painter - is an ok player.

Nate Longshore - not great.

Chase Daniel - Great numbers in a weak Big 12, too small to get a sniff early.

isproab (4/12/2008)
Headshot (4/12/2008)
isproab (4/12/2008)
The QB class for next year is not as good as 2008. Where do you get your information? I really want to know.

Well that's not really fair. How can he compete with someone like you who obviously gets their information from the future?

No, honestly, who are the top 2009 prospects that everybody will be going after in 2009? It has been mentioned that it is a weak class by people that do this for a living. You can look at it and see it for yourself.

Why are you listing names as if the season has already started. You have absolutely no idea who the top QB prospects are until the end of next season.

Headshot (4/12/2008)
isproab (4/12/2008)
Headshot (4/12/2008)
isproab (4/12/2008)

Why are you listing names as if the season has already started. You have absolutely no idea who the top QB prospects are until the end of next season.

I know who is on the radar. Watch the draft, they always talk about the next darft near the end. Going into the season there are always guys to watch. Someone mentioned Flacco, Ryan and Dixion. OK, Flacco came out of the blue, but Ryan and Dixion were known about.

I'm not bashing anybody, if you throw it out there for conversation, be prepared to deal with the opposite view point. To think we should put off drafting a QB another year is just wild. Anybody will tell you that.

falcon_eyes (4/12/2008)
address as much as u can this year outside the qb position.  see what our current qbs can do this year while getting all our new guys a year of experience, and then next year get the qb.  next year draft will have better qbs anyway, and then we would be a solid playoff contender!

Who is coming out next year? You have to provide some names to make a good arguement.

UGA_DAWG46 (4/12/2008)
Headshot (4/12/2008)
The fact is is that QB is going to be weak until 2009 when Stafford and Tebow come out, unless someone busts onto the scene major next year.

I doubt Stafford and Tebowcome out next year.

Doh, I meant 2010...I added wrong. :(

falcon_eyes (4/12/2008)

You make way to much sense so I second that

I have been in agreement for a while about not drafting a QB this year as well.  I do admit, next year's class doesn't look too promising at this point either.  I think if we can address our weakness on the lines first, then our other weaknesses on defense, then if a QB with any kind of potential falls to us, then maybe take the selection.  If we know we can address most of our holes with picking a QB in the second, then I believe we can take a chance addressing that in that round and not in the first.  We must take a low risk player in the first and that would be a Dorsey/Ellis or one of the Longs if they fall to us.  I'm thinking the best QB to fall to us in the second will be Henne and not Brohm.  No way I would take Ryan with that #3 pick as that's way too much risk for us in passing the surefire first round talent for.

As for Free Agent QBs, there are none worth mentioning for next year but 2010 has several big time QBs becoming available and I'm sure most of them would get re-signed because there's no real quality QB depth at this time.  As for Redman/Harrington/Shockley, even if we do draft a QB this year, we're still not sure how they will do even if the lines are rebuilt but I do know that Redman showed us a lot of potential at the end of the year last season and I'm comfortable with him in the starting position at this time. 

I will stay relatively indifferent about this thread, although I don't exactly agree. I just hope the UGA homers aren't thinking we are going to wait for Stafford.

The key is, there are some good to decent QBs in the draft this year. Until some new QB prospects emerge during next years college season, we won't know what is available for next years draft. Seems like an awful big risk to not take a QB this year, when it is pretty obvious we need one now.

Matthew Pritts (4/13/2008)
falconfansince66 (4/13/2008)
Potential sleeper in next year's draft: John Parker Wilson, SR QB from Alabama.

This guy's pretty tough and shows good poise, makes good decisions and has a better than average arm.  Not saying he will be an 'elite' QB. 

Obviously you haven't seen him play.

GET REAL!

I have watched him grow and develop on a weekly basis, maybe you've just seen him play against UGA or Auburn when Bama's OL looked a lot like the Falcons'.  I didn't say he was someone that we're looking to draft but only stated that this guy's got an upside to him and could be one of the better QBs available next year even though that's not saying too much considering the talent pool (or lack thereof).