Second Last Mock for me.

Kayoh

I'm going all out on this one. It's going to be a full 1st round mock along with a full Atlanta Falcons Mock.

Here we go.

Round 1

1. Miami: Chris Long, DE, Virginia

2. St. Louis: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

- Trade! Atlanta trades #3 overall to the New York Jets for #6 Overall and #36 Overall along with an undisclosed 2009 draft pick.

3. New York Jets: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State

4. Oakland: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

5. Kansas City: Jake Long, OT, Michigan

- Trade! Atlanta trades #6 Overall to the Buffalo Bills for #11 Overall and #41 Overall.

6. Buffalo: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy

7. New England: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida

8. Baltimore: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

9. Cincinnati: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

10. New Orleans: Keith Rivers, LB, USC

11. Atlanta: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville

12. Denver: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State

13. Carolina: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois

14. Chicago: Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh

15. Detroit: Branden Albert, OG, Virginia

16. Arizona: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee state

17. Minnesota: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida

18. Houston: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

19. Philadelphia: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

20. Tampa Bay: James Hardy, WR, Indiana

21. Washington: Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

-Trade! Atlanta trades #41 Overall and #48 Overall to Dallas for #22 Overall.

22. Atlanta: Chris Williams, OT Vanderbilt

23. Pittsburgh: Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College

24. Tennessee: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

25. Seattle: Fred Davis, TE, USC

26. Jacksonville: Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina

27. San Diego: Quentin Groves, OLB, Auburn

28. Dallas: Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas

29. San Fransisco: Early Doucet, WR, LSU

30. Green Bay: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona

31. New York Giants Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami(FL)

Atlanta Mock w/ Explanations

R1P11[11 Ovr]: Brian Brohm // QB // Louisville --- Could be the next Matt Hasselbeck. Reminds me of P. Manning in terms of sheer poise in the pocket, and he knows how to extend plays.

R1P22[22 Ovr]: Chris Williams // OT // Vanderbilt --- Best LT in the draft. Fix our biggest problem with the best player at that position. The guy just doesn't allow sacks.

R2P3[34 Ovr]: Mike Pollak // C // Arizona State --- Hands down best C in the draft, steps in and starts day 1. The left side of our line is now set for 15 years, with Williams, Blalock, and Pollak.

R2P5[36 Ovr]: Trevor Laws // DT // Notre Dame --- Best motor of the DT class this year. Can play either tackle spot, probably 3-Technique for us so that Trey Lewis can play at Nose.

R2P6[37 Ovr]: Curtis Lofton // MLB // Oklahoma --- Incredible instincts override his less-than-stellar 40-time. Starter from day 1, allowing Keith Brooking to move back to his natural position.

R3P5[68 Ovr]: Darrell Robertson // DE // Georgia Tech --- Extremely good pass rusher who is surprisingly incredible against the run. Some say undersized, I say that's what everybody said about John Abraham and Dwight Freeney, too.

R3P34[98 Ovr]: Mike McGlynn // OG // Pittsburgh --- I'm not 100% sure that he'll be here, but if he is, we have to pick him up. Can play(and succeed at) C, RG, and RT, and will probably start at RG for us.

R4P4[103 Ovr]: Ahtyba Rubin // DT // Iowa State --- Big guy who can start at NT while TLew is healing up, at which point he becomes a valuable backup at nose tackle.

R5P3[138 Ovr]: Jordon Dizon // OLB // Colorado --- Another extremely instinctive linebacker. Like Lofton, his instincts completely cancel out his lack of elite measurables. Led the NCAA in solo tackles.

R6P6[172 Ovr]: Taylor Mehlhaff // K // Wisconsin --- Ensure that we get our franchise kicker to take over when Elam's contract is up. Kicker is a horrible need to have, and now we won't for years to come.

R7P5[212 Ovr]: Curtis Johnson // OLB // Clark Atlanta --- Remember how last year we picked Stephen Nicholas, and NOBODY knew who he was? We were preparing for DeMo's departure. Unfortunately, this pick is to prepare for Michael Boley's departure next season, just in case.

R7P25[232 Ovr]: Anthony Alridge // KR // Houston --- We need a punt returner to step in for Jennings, and possibly a kick returner in case Smith actually decides to use Norwood the way he should be used.

New Depth Chart

QB: Chris Redman // Joey Harrington // DJ Shockley // Brian Brohm[sits year 1] // Adam Jennings

I have some questions for you about your mock.

Why would New York trade up when they could stay right where they are and still get either Gholston or McFadden?

Then why would Buffalo trade up to get a CB when they could likely stay where they are and still get one of the top 3 CBs in the draft?

I like a lot of your picks but just don't know about a few of them.

I don't mind Dizon as he could be a fine backup and special teamer but why pick him if you are going to pick another OLB a couple picks later.

Mehlhaff just doesn't make sense, I know you want him to be a backup for a couple of years but that is a waste of a roster spot for a player that won't do anything.  If they wanted to develop someone then they should look at some UDFA that they could have on the pratice squad not of the main roster.

Curtis Johnson pick only makes sense unless the Falcons are really planning on just letting Boley go.  Even if he becomes a free agent they could easily Franchise Tag him to give more time to negotiate with him.

Also your depth chart is a little messed up with players that are no longer with the team.

Dwayne Blakely - Titans

Marcus Wilkins - Cut don't know if he signed on to another team

Chris Crocker - Dolphins

Morten Anderson - free agent

I think you meant to put Elam on the chart not Anderson.

trippsright (4/12/2008)
Two point:

1) I'm pretty sure that you can only carry 53 actives on the roster.

2) That would be some real wheelin' and dealin' on draft day...not very realistic.

1) I'm pretty sure that this would be a preseason DC. You know, right after the draft.

2) I just read an article that says that the most picks you can possibly acquire, almost completely independent of how high they are, means your draft will be better. Think about it. The top trade-down teams over the last few years has been Dallas and New England. Those teams totally suck, right? [sarcasm]

This isn't really what I think is definitely going to happen; it's what I would do if I was GM.

DrDetecto (4/12/2008)
I love it. Not sure if Williams falls all the way to 22, but I love all the picks.

thats what i was going to say. i really like the overall draft as a whole, but you would have to make one **** of an argument to explain to me why a team like the houston texans so DESPERATE for a stud LT would pass on chris williams, who you yourself said was the best LT in the draft, to get jonathan stewart, who isnt a bad value there, but still. i cant fathom that happening. i said theyd make the smart pick and get mario over bush, they did that. i said theyd get okoye even though theyd gotten mario the year before, they did that. and if they are debating between jonathan stewart and chris williams i have to say i would bet that theyd go with chris williams 100 times out of 100. that is just my opinion, but i have always kind of liked the texans for some reason. i feel kind of bad for them for having so many issues every year preventing them from being competitive, a lot of it has to do with their horrible oline though, so they arent blameless.

anyways, thats just my rant on that. i wouldnt complain if it turned out this way. brohm, williams, pollak, laws, lofton, robertson, mcglynn, dizon are all guys i like. mehlhaff is also a guy i like, but im not sure wed pick him. if we did i wouldnt complain a bit though. i like curtis johnson for depth also, he seems to be a somewhat popular pick in the late rounds. and i like aldridge also, he is very versatile and could be a good addition for special teams.

nice work, very original too. i had never even fathomed that the bills would think about moving up for mckelvin, but the second i saw it in your mock a lightbulb went on upstairs and it made a ton of sense.

i think the jets trade makes sense at least a bit if they are targeting mcfadden over gholston, since odds arent too good that mcfadden makes it past the raiders, and the patriots could move up to #5 for gholston, or the bengals. if they really want the guy they will move up and get him, they have proven that before like with darelle revis just one or two years ago. im not saying it will happen, but if they know they want mcfadden over gholston they wont just leave it to chance to see if they last that long, they would move up for him. but just as likely as it is that they move up, i could see them moving down as well because they dont have many draft picks because they acquired kris jenkins. just food for thought.

and the move down with the bills is a very interesting one but a good one. the hole left by clements really hurts so they move up for the #1 cb in the draft imo, even though a lot of people share that assumption. hes not an interception machine but he is very well rounded in every area of his game, and the bills have never been afraid to pull the trigger on a deal either, or reach if they like the player. donte whitner and their 2 2nd round picks in that same draft are evidence of that, at least to a degree.

anyways, the trades are about as realistic as they can get by predicting them in a setting such as this, where everything is just an opinion, and i appreciate the thought you put into them. its very hard to predict trades like that. it is even harder to predict trades that dont involve the team you cheer for, but its something i love to think about in my mocks. its very thought-provoking.

so, long story short, good job and good read.

oh and not to be mean or anything, but in your sig where you have the part that says "Atlanta Draft Board"... please tell me that the (at the 3th position) part is some kind of strange joke. that would be pronounced the "theeth" position, it should be 3rd. i figured id tell you so you could fix it if it was a typo.

Mr. Offseason (4/13/2008)
oh and not to be mean or anything, but in your sig where you have the part that says "Atlanta Draft Board"... please tell me that the (at the 3th position) part is some kind of strange joke. that would be pronounced the "theeth" position, it should be 3rd. i figured id tell you so you could fix it if it was a typo.
Wow, nice eye dude. That was originally "5th" because, you know, I was assuming the worst case scenario. I changed it when we won the coin flip, and I guess I just changed the number. Like I said, nice eye. :P

And thanks for all the positive feedback.

Also, who is Houston's RB? They had Ron Dayne, who is huge, and Ahman Green, who isn't exactly a scatback. Jonathan Stewart (strangely enough) fits their scheme perfectly, but Chris Williams isn't a zone/cut blocking tackle like the rest of their line. Ryan Clady would be a perfect fit for them, but if they can't get him, I could see them going after somebody like Sosa Pedro or Jeremy Zuttah, both of which would look MUCH better than they actually are in Houston's scheme. They basically run the same thing that we ran under Alex Gibbs, as I'm actually pretty sure that Gibbs is their line coach now.

One more thing: LOL at the zone/cut blocking team with 225+ pound RBs. L. O. L.

don't know how much we need a center when we have Datish waiting to play.

we have the kicker position locked up.

if we were to do all of that trading, I would pick the OT with the first round pick,

keep the rest to fill needs on the team.

#11 ryan clady-ot

#34 pat sims-dt

#36 sam baker/carl nicks-ot

#37chad henne-qb

#41curtis lofton/jerod mayo-mlb

#48 brondon flowers-cb

#68 chilo richal-og

#98 tom zbikowski-ss

rounds 4-7 we should just get the highest rated person on the draft board.

trubirdfan4life (4/13/2008)
don't know how much we need a center when we have Datish waiting to play.

we have the kicker position locked up.

if we were to do all of that trading, I would pick the OT with the first round pick,

keep the rest to fill needs on the team.

rounds 4-7 we should just get the highest rated person on the draft board.

Okay, two things.

1. We don't need a SS. Lawyer + DStone have that locked up.

2. Don't post your mock in my mock draft topic. Above all else, it's rude.

milloy is gone after this year and do you really think stone is going to start?

I don't , he never even got on the field.

He is good on special teams we need a starter next season.

don't get mad because your mock is stupid.

trading away picks of players that WILL start this year for a guy who will be OK and start in trwo or three year is just dumb.

taking a kicker is just dumb. there will be free agent kickers all over the place if we needed one.

we need players and lots of them.  there is a need at both OT and OG we will adress those before drafting someone to replace our best offensive lineman....dumb. McClure is undersized, but he is the most experienced guy we have and will start this year.

don't get mad...just defend your decision, if you can.

trading away picks of players that WILL start this year for a guy who will be OK and start in trwo or three year is just dumb.

taking a kicker is just dumb. there will be free agent kickers all over the place if we needed one.

we need players and lots of them. there is a need at both OT and OG we will adress those before drafting someone to replace our best offensive lineman....dumb. McClure is undersized, but he is the most experienced guy we have and will start this year.

What decision needs defended? To start off, who says Milloy won't return after this season? He can if he wants to, and I'm convinced that our front office is smart enough to resign him if his contract is up. Daren Stone should be ready after this season. Didn't you watch the Seattle game? He got playing time there, and he looked GREAT. He was flying around, knocking people out. He has what it takes to start, he just needs to learn a little more from Lawyer this season and he'll look like an All-Pro SS. We need a kicker. We haven't had a good kicker since Jay Feely, who sucked when he was here anyways. Mort is incredible because he's so accurate, but we can't count on him outside of 45 or so. Oh, and this just in: Jason Elam is 38.

yeah i like your mock except the kicker pick and the center. maybe a guard would have been a better pick. we have 3 center's now as it is. and yes elam maybe 38 but he still had 4 game winning kicks last year and he can still boot it from 50 +.  i agree with the poster who said get a kicker in udfa there will be some good ones there.

Welcome to Atlanta (4/13/2008)
Mr. Offseason (4/13/2008)
Wow, nice eye dude. That was originally "5th" because, you know, I was assuming the worst case scenario. I changed it when we won the coin flip, and I guess I just changed the number. Like I said, nice eye. :P

And thanks for all the positive feedback.

Also, who is Houston's RB? They had Ron Dayne, who is huge, and Ahman Green, who isn't exactly a scatback. Jonathan Stewart (strangely enough) fits their scheme perfectly, but Chris Williams isn't a zone/cut blocking tackle like the rest of their line. Ryan Clady would be a perfect fit for them, but if they can't get him, I could see them going after somebody like Sosa Pedro or Jeremy Zuttah, both of which would look MUCH better than they actually are in Houston's scheme. They basically run the same thing that we ran under Alex Gibbs, as I'm actually pretty sure that Gibbs is their line coach now.

One more thing: LOL at the zone/cut blocking team with 225+ pound RBs. L. O. L.

no problem it was a good read i enjoyed it. and i never thought about the 5th to 3th transition, that makes sense actually. didnt intend to be mean but it doesnt look like you took it that way anyways. it just struck me as very weird. i couldnt believe someone could think through such a good mock draft, or at least well thought out and well written mock draft, and then type "3th" instead of 3rd. :laugh: oh well it is kind of funny when you think about it. glad you didnt take offense to it. :)

they dont really have a good one (the texans), but this is just how i look at it. if you are a gm and your franchise has needed a LT for their entire existance but they also need a RB, which would you pick? i would go for the LT every single time. if you went for the RB in that scenario, that is understandable. however, i think your decision would be different if LT was your biggest need and you had a good one on the board like chris williams and a good rb in jonathan stewart if the running back class was one of the deepest i have ever heard of, which is the case this year.

chris williams isnt a great zone blocker etc, but he is more finesse than power and i feel he would fit in with their system just fine, and as much as gibbs doesnt like olineman in the early part of the draft i think theyd have to overrule him on this one. chris williams is too good to pass up there, i dont even think he will make it that far (jmo, thats how it went down in my mock).

thats why i responded to it the way i did. when you look at it from that perspective like i did the LT over the RB makes more sense, at least to me. your pick isnt a bad pick in any sense of the word, but they could very likely end up with matt forte', tashard choice, mike hart, kevin smith or someone else in the 3rd-4th range (they need CB/S help very badly also, might push the RB problem down the priority list), and i really like all 4 of those guys. its jmo, but i wanted to wait to get a rb in this draft because good players will fall and they could fall pretty far. thats just how im approaching it, so my mocks reflect that.

i wouldnt complain a bit if it turned out that way though, again very good read and nice job.

we need players and lots of them.  there is a need at both OT and OG we will adress those before drafting someone to replace our best offensive lineman....dumb. McClure is undersized, but he is the most experienced guy we have and will start this year.

make your own mock and ill be more than happy to slice and dice it, anyone can be a jerk if they want to, it takes effort and consideration to appreciate what he did here, and i thought it was a good mock draft. apparently you disagree, but calling it dumb only reflects your own intelect and in all likelihood your maturity (or lack-there-of).

and personally i hate mcclure and i really want pollak at #48, but i just dont know if we will go in that direction or if he will even last past the saints. who knows. if he lasted that long id be very tempted to take him, but curtis lofton is my pick for us there in my mock i believe.

i dont know if im ready to say stone can start given one more year of experience, but he should get a shot and if he looks good in limited playing time this year then he could definately push SS down the needs list next year, which would really help us out a ton. i think milloy mentoring him has helped him.

as far as i can tell, brohm would be our 09 qb (foolish to expect ANYONE to start before that in this draft imo), williams could be our starting LT in 08 at some point, id hate to throw him in there before he was ready. pollak could beat out mcclure considering mcclure 1. doesnt fit our system, 2. is overpaid and overrated and 3. i just hate him. :laugh: i dont remember the rest of the picks as of right now, but i think its pretty foolish to say that those guys couldnt start or wouldnt start in 09 even.

Nobody has Brohm that high. We give up 3 then turn around and overpay like mad for him...that's nuts. and we certainly aren't rich enough for more centers and a kicker. Where are you going to keep a back-up kicker? If he's any good you'll lose him when he goes on waivers to move to the practice squad cause you certainly don't want to burn a roster spot on a backup kicker

DrDetecto (4/14/2008)
muskokas finest (4/14/2008)
Nobody has Brohm that high.

I actually would doubt that...

NFL network has 5 analyst mocks - none with Brohm in the first rd

foxsports.com has 2 mocks - none with Brohm in the first rd

cbs.sportsline.com has 3 mocks - none with Brohm in the first rd

profootball weekly has a mock - Brohm not in the first rd

si.com has a mock - Brohm not in first rd

These guys do this for a living. Are they all going to be that far wrong? Some idiot might take Brohm high...lets hope that isn't us

muskokas finest (4/15/2008)
DrDetecto (4/14/2008)

These guys do this for a living. Are they all going to be that far wrong? Some idiot might take Brohm high...lets hope that isn't us

Sounds like you're the idiot.

These are the same guys that had Leaf rated as #1 and Manning #2.

Brohm has been a victim of overevaluation and a ##### poor defense at Louisville his senior year. That, and the overrating of Ryan.

THis is has been the most underevaluated and underrated QB class that I can remember. This actually a pretty good and deep class.

Brohm runs circles around Ryan. Hands down! He's a top-10 talent.

Matthew Pritts (4/15/2008)
muskokas finest (4/15/2008)
DrDetecto (4/14/2008)

Sounds like you're the idiot.

These are the same guys that had Leaf rated as #1 and Manning #2.

Brohm has been a victim of overevaluation and a ##### poor defense at Louisville his senior year. That, and the overrating of Ryan.

THis is has been the most underevaluated and underrated QB class that I can remember. This actually a pretty good and deep class.

Brohm runs circles around Ryan. Hands down! He's a top-10 talent.

Are your parents brother and sister by any chance? Brohm had a great year at Louisville and that had very little to do with his defense. He did have 2 receivers who will get drafted so it's not like he was in there alone. What makes you right and trained talent evaluators wrong. Try presenting evidence for a change before knocking someone else with your fan-boy opinion