My second Last mock

bam_19

This is assuming that Jake Long and Glen Dorsey are off the board.

Round 1 - Vernon Gholston - DE - OSU

Reason: Our pass rush was bad last year. I know we have a ton of cash sucked up in JA and JA. However with Abrahams Injury Concerns and age, to go along with Anderson Inability to generate sacks this pick makes sense. Gholston is an elite edge rusher and will improve our defense by giving us so many options. First off we now have great depth at an area of concern. He can come in for Anderson on obvious passing downs, we can slide him inside ala Justin Tuck. We can have him stand up as a rush backer. He will allow for a lot of versatility plus when JA is gone in a year or two or back on the IR list we need not worry.

Trade We trade Pick 37 and our third round To move up mid twenties

Round 1 - Brian Brohm - QB - Louisville

Reason: We need a QB, and well we get the best one right here. I don't like doing trades in these buy i believe this to be very feesable. I also don't believe he will be here (he falls no farther than the bears at 14) but his is where the pundits project so I will take advantage. Smart QB, good decision maker, has enough arm strenght for what we want to run and can make all the throws. Very productive in college was projected as a top 5 selection last year but chose to return for his senior season where he performed very well.

Round 2 - Sam Baker - LT - USC

Reason: We need to protect the QB, and outside of Chris Williams I think Baker is the best man for the job. He is not physically imposing like Long, Otah and Albert. He is a technician with a ton of experience at the position. He is a natural left tackle a guy who neautralizes DE's not just push them around. He was considered at top 15 selection in last years draft but chose to return, some injuries have cost him but we are the ones that will reap the reward.

Round 2 - Pat Sims - DT - Auburn

Reason: We need help inside and I know we have had some minor siginings along the line. A player with tons of potential that showed through in his junior season. A perfect fit at NT or even a big UT (like our coach likes) he would make a great addition. However there are concerns over his character/love for the game after quiting the team in 05. As well he was only really productive for 1 season so that should also be cause for concern. However in the second round it worth the gamble on his potential.

Round 3 - Jonathan Goff - MLB - Vanderbilt

Reason: We need a MLB, Brooking doesn't belong there. Well were getting Goff late I believe he may have the potential to start from day one. Was a four year starter in the SEC improving every year. He is a football player he doesn't have the best workout numbers in the world but he has great instincts and that is what you need from your mlb.

Round 4 - Dwight Lowery - CB - SJ State

This may be a slight reach but that is becuae he is falling becuase of his 40 time which is not a huge deal in our scheme. What does matter is that he has a great football IQ he is a very smart player and an int machine. He led the nation with nine picks in 2006 after registering 13 in 15 games at a Junior College, he continued the production in 07 adding another 4. Not the best athlete in the world but will excel in a zone scheme.

Round 5 - Chad Rinehart - OG - Nothern Iowa

A big powerful guard, who is exactly what were looking for. He is a devestating run blocker and some think he has the ability to slide out to Tackle. A perfect fit for what are coaching staff is looking for. Teaming him a blaylock could provide a powerful force for years to come.

Round 6 - Chris Hopkins - TE - Toledo

A mountain of a man at 6'5 273, huge for the TE positions with huge upside as well. Ran a 4.78 which is impressive for a man of his stature. Not only can he be a great blocking TE (fits our scheme) but also he has some pass catching skills as well. Could be a potential steal.

Round 7 - Johnny Dingle - DE - WVU

Great size with great production makes him an interesting choice. Could provide great depth. Notched 19 tfl's and 9 sacks last year playing in a 3-3-5 so we know he has ablity to get the passer. An intersting prospect I think would make a great rotational guy.

Round 7 - Alexis Serna - K - Oreagon ST.

Has a big strong leg with a career long of 58 yards. Makes the field goals he should make and is generally accurate. Had a big game meltdown as a freashman and some thoughts may linger but overall very confident with a big leg hitting a career 77% (with misses from outside 50)

There it is Flame away and please read my reasoning (especially for the first pick)

Scott24Falcons (4/12/2008)
How you can pass on Chris Long for Gholston is beyond me.  Those two aren't even comparable.  Long is the much more complete player.  Gholston doesn't stop the run.  He is strictly a speed-rusher.

The rest is good.

Your right chris long is a complete player in the nfl he is a going to be a really good DE a 7 sack a year guy who stuffs the run. However thats not what I want, I want another JA with out the injury concern thats how I pass on Long for Gholston I know not a popular choice. But thats for the rest looks good I would be extreamly happy if it went down like that.

Monsta (4/12/2008)
Rather have Chris Long instead of Gholston....also, I don't think a 2nd and a 3rd will get us into the mid 20's.....also, if Brohm is in the mid 20's than he will most likely fall to us at #34...no need to trade up...IMO

It works on the value chart it gets us to 24 i believe, also miami and kc could look at him hard. Also Baltimore could trade up.

bam_19 (4/12/2008)
Monsta (4/12/2008)
Rather have Chris Long instead of Gholston....also, I don't think a 2nd and a 3rd will get us into the mid 20's.....also, if Brohm is in the mid 20's than he will most likely fall to us at #34...no need to trade up...IMO

It works on the value chart it gets us to 24 i believe, also miami and kc could look at him hard. Also Baltimore could trade up.

I honestly don't think Miami will look at QB bc they drafted Beck at the top of Round 2 last year....Kansas City & Baltimore yes, but which one gets Ryan....if Baltimore doesn't, I don't think they would be willing to give up the needed value to move ahead and if Baltimore ends up with Ryan, KC picks ahead of us anyway...so then we may need to move up, but only in front of them...easily move to Miami or St. Louis's spot for a 5th or 6th if we were that in love with Brohm.

Monsta (4/12/2008)

#34 and our 4th round pick, #103, would get us into the 25-27 range if we go strictly by the point chart.

#68 would likely get us in the range around #20, but that is a guess without looking at any numbers or point values. but its safe to say that the 3rd round pick would be MORE than enough to get someone to listen if we wanted to move up into the mid 20's, id even demand a later round pick to compensate, but who knows if wed get it.