Matt Ryan topic and discussion

vafalconfan

OK, there are very strong opinions on Ryan, we all know that. Many of the "experts" really like him. Many of us on this board have just not seen the star potential and I think it really comes down to value. I'm not completely sold on him either as the number 3 pick, but let's consider how much we want to give up for a qb this year.

If we take Ryan #3 or say trade back a few spots with the Jets to take him it means that TD can keep all the picks, concentrate on the rest of the draft filling holes and we have holes everywhere.

If we take Dorsey or another lineman we will have to trade up into the first round for a qb. Parcells will not let Flacco or Henne get by him and Brohm might be taken by the Ravens. In this scenario we could lose the guy we want if a surprise team jumps ahead of us because all 31 teams know we intend to draft a qb. We will also have to give up one of our valueable #2 picks, so in essence Brohm or Flacco would cost a #2 pick and probably a 3 or 4 to go with it and we will be paying them 1st round money..

Another caveat to this discussion is that most draft "experts" are saying the qb class next year is more devoid of top tier talent than this group.

So what is the best long range strategy for out team? Who knows, but I thought it would be interesting to hear other's thoughts and the real theme here is how will our total draft look with Ryan taken 3rd and keeping al of our picks, or with Dorsey at number 3 and giving up later picks..

vafalconfan (4/12/2008)
OK, there are very strong opinions on Ryan, we all know that. Many of the "experts" really like him. Many of us on this board have just not seen the star potential and I think it really comes down to value. I'm not completely sold on him either as the number 3 pick, but let's consider how much we want to give up for a qb this year.

If we take Ryan #3 or say trade back a few spots with the Jets to take him it means that TD can keep all the picks,concentrate on the rest of the draft filling holes and we have holes everywhere.

If we take Dorsey or another lineman we will have to tradeup into the first round for a qb. Parcells will not let Flacco or Henne get by him and Brohm might be taken by the Ravens. In this scenario we could lose the guy we want if a surprise team jumps ahead of us because all 31 teams know we intend to draft a qb. We will also have to give up one of ourvalueable #2 picks, so in essence Brohm or Flacco would costa #2 pick and probably a 3 or 4 to go with it and we will be paying them 1st round money..

Another caveat to this discussion is that most draft "experts" are saying the qb class next year is more devoid of top tier talent than this group.

So what is the best long range strategy for out team?Who knows, but I thought it would be interesting to hear other's thoughts and the real theme here is how will our total draft look with Ryan taken 3rd and keeping al of our picks, or with Dorsey at number 3and giving up later picks..

Just say "no" to Ryan. I wouldn't pick him in the top half of this 1st round. And he's not worth trading up to get if he falls that far (a la Cleveland Browns and Quinn). I personally prefer Flacco; however, I wouldn't mind Brohm or Henne. Getting a QB to be our starter this year (which Ryan would HAVE to be if we take him anywhere in the 1st) is putting the cart before the horse. We need to solidify our offensive line before we put a fresh QB out there. I'd much rather get someone like Flacco that needs a year to be groomed into a true starter and make sure our O-Line is ready for him...

Answer me this if you can. How does a QB who was projected as 7th coming into last season, and whose team did no better throughout the year as Brohm's or Henne's, and who posted subpar QB numbers become anointed as the #1 QB in the draft?

Brohm should get the nod with Henne, Flacco and Ryan bringing up the rear. My preference is Flacco. Strong arm who is very coachable. After that I would go with Brohm. Pedigree and consistant play through college under 2 head coaches/systems. I would get either in the second round, though I would be willing to trade up in the low first for Brohm.

I would rather have Brohm. I feel like he is going to be the best QB in this draft and could contribute quickly.

Flacco, although talented will most likely be a project that has to sit awhile before seeing any substantial time. He definitely has the skills, my concern is the transition into the NFL.

Ryan has too many questions for me to draft with the 3rd overall. The biggest being interceptions, meaning decision making skills.

Henne could be decent, He seems to have intestinal fortitude and decent skills. He could be the guy that gets drafted later and ends up being "the find".

the others, I have no opinion, maybe a couple of others make decent players but I'm not sure if any will be the next star.

I really like Ryan and wouldn't be upset if the Falcons drafted him. Is he a top ten talent? I think he is. Is he worth a top 3 pick? I'm not so sure. Like I said, I would be upset if they picked him, but I think I'd rather lock up some some big beasties on the lines then...wait for it...wait for it...grab Colt Brennan in the 6th.

I keep reading articles that this year's QB draft is weak. I think we should address the O-line or D-line with our first pick. It would not be wise to pick up a QB with our # 3 and receive 1st round pick money and not make a immediate impact on our game. I like some ideas that are floating around which is give the Patriots the # 3 pick as they like Dorsey and we take Ellis with the # 7 pick and we pick up an additional 2nd round which we can take Sam Baker or even Brohm. It is apparent that we will need to pick up a QB but it is more pressing that address our line.

I really do not mind Ryan, assuming Dorsey and Jake Long are gone and we can't trade down. I believe Ryan has the tools to be a good pro. Maybe not like Peyton or Brady, but he will be at least as good as Eli, ROmo, or Rivers. Our offense will be built around "smashmouth" football anyway, and the only knock on Ryan is his deep ball.If Mularky plans on running short passing plays like everyone is talking about and engineering drives rather than looking for a knockout punch 80 yard TD pass, Ryan is the best person in the draft to drive the bus.

Yeah I'm not crazy about him, but there are some on this board that sound like they would trade in their season tickets if we drafted Ryan. It's not the end of the world, but I sure would like to see us trade back a few slots with the jets or pats to take him and pick up some extra picks even if they are next year. He will not get past the ravens at 8.

My main gripe here is if we give up too much trading back into the late first round for a qb. I want to keep all 3 number 2 picks and both number 3s. We can lay the foundation for a contender if we draft wisely in rounds 2 and 3.

Well, I will admit that I get a little carried away at times in TATF when Matt Ryan comes up.  Truth be told, I don't think he is doomed to be a bust.  I think he has all the ability to be solid as an NFL QB, but his readiness and sure-fire franchise billing are laughable points at this juncture. 

Out of the group that most consider the top 5 QBs (Ryan, Brohm, Henne, Flacco, Woodson) I would say he is only certifiably better than Flacco at this point.  Playing up his intangibles and willingness to work should not outweigh his actual performance on the field and catapult him from the late 2nd round to top 10 status.

I just don't think he deserves top 10 status and the draft invite.  That's what gets me the most.  It should be a crime to even consider him with our #3 pick... or anywhere in the top 10 for that matter.  Everyone in that range is far far better at their position than Ryan has shown to be at QB.

Just my opinion.  I wouldn't be mad with Brohm in the top 10, though.

I'm not as worried about his interception quantity as I am the reason he threw them. He threw around 14 of those 19 interceptions by making the same mistake --- trying to force the ball downfield when he had other options. That says a lot about his decision making. 19 interceptions is a rational number when he threw the ball 654 times. Figure he threw an interception once every 34 or so passes. My biggest problems with him are his completion percentage, TD:INT ratio, and the fact that nobody knew about him last season when every was talking about Brohm.

NINJA KIX (4/17/2008)
As a fan, I'd rather have an impact player game one.  I don't think we would get that from Matt Ryan.  ;)

Hey Ninja, I totally agree. We just dont have room to give up 1st round money and have that player sit out while we grind out this year schedule. I do realize that we need to invest for years to come and we probably wont be Superbowl bound ;) this year but this year is about playing and proving.

I hesitate to say this, but if there is no QB of the big group left when the second rolls around, would that be so bad?  I am not saying Redman/Harrington/Shockley is the answer to anything other than an unflattering trivia question, but would people be trobuled by a draft that focused on other other needs and maybe didn't get a QB at all (or at least not in our top 4-6 picks, which might as well be not at all)?

I keep thinking that a QB can't succeed without protection, and obviously the ground game thrives on blocking.  This team could easily benefit from two offensive linemen. If two of the first four picks were at O-Line, we should see a marked improvement both running and passing (or at least in protection for the passing game). Similarly, the defense could use both an impact nose tackle and an undertackle.  We have great depth from all the free agent signings at D-Line, but I am not sure we have either starter on the roster right now. 

If we use the top four picks all on linemen (unless the draft unfolds in such a way that a true steal at another position pops up, which does seem to happen every year),the team is certain to improve.  Give the lines a year to gel and make mistakes, obviosuly at the expense of Redman's body rather than that of our franchise QB, and then look for the QB next year.  That way we put a fresh QB behind a solidified line that has some experience.

I just feel more comfortable putting a QB next year behind an offensive line that has actually played together a year rather than throwing a first year starting QB (assuming he holds the clipboard much of this year anyway) behind a newly formed offensive line.  If we spend a #3 or possibly two of our seconds for a late round qb, the one or two high picks spent on a qb in 2008 will turn the overhaul of the lines into a two year project. 

11 picks can address a lot of needs, but not them all. If we take this draft for its strengths (O-line depth and two potentially exceptional DTs who will be gone in the first 10 picks or so), we can really improve the team enough that the first round QB next year not only makes sense, but he is likely to be behind a line that can protect him and give him a viable balanced attack.