The media playing "favorites" with QBs

rollow lawson

If they were, they would be talking about the dual threat QBs that show leadership, accuracy, and intelligence to go along with the outstanding numbers.  I wonder how they would be looking at Dennis Dixon if he would have not gotten injured and went on and won the Heisman.  It seems that his knee injury has given the media a convienant excuse to look over him.  I hope the Falcons take a flyer on him in the 3rd and put him on the PUP list for 2008.  Let him get stronger and get that knee right.  Think about it, any QB we draft, be it early or late, probably won't play anyway. 

In addition, I believe Gruden has his eye on either Dixon or Johnson.  If we don't grab Johnson in the second, I can almost guarantee Tampa will. 

rollow lawson (4/12/2008)
If they were, they would be talking about the dual threat QBs that show leadership, accuracy, and intelligence to go along with the outstanding numbers. I wonder how they would be looking at Dennis Dixon if he would have not gotten injured and went on and won the Heisman. It seems that his knee injury has given the media a convienant excuse to look over him. I hope the Falcons take a flyeron him in the 3rd and put him on the PUP list for 2008. Let him get stronger and get that knee right. Think about it, any QB we draft, be it early or late, probably won't play anyway.

In addition,I believe Gruden has his eye oneither Dixon or Johnson. If we don't grab Johnson in the second, I can almost guarantee Tampa will.

You are going to be so disappointed on draft day. Neither the Falcons nor any other team are going to draft Josh Johnson in the second round.

Dennis Dixion threw more picks that TD's in 2006. 2007 he was looking great. Maybe he would have been a 2nd to 3rd round pick if his numbers continued to go the way they were headed and he did not get hurt. The injury is going to hurt his stock. Especially for a guy who's legs were very important to his game.

I'm not sure how I feel about going back to the dual threat QB.  It was exciting and fun to watch, but IMO you're not going to find a better dual threat QB than Vick, and even b/4 he got into trouble, it was starting to look like a failed experiment.

Now if you're going to argue that someone like a Steve Young type is a dual threat, then I'm all for finding a mobile QB with a great arm.

We must have been seeing to different player. 2,474 passing yards, 20 passing Touchdowns, 1,036 rushing yards, 2 rushing TDs. Only 31% or 10 out 32 accomplished that feat during that year and 69% did not or 22 QB did not have 20 TD or more.

Kill the BS Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

halsey (4/12/2008)
If they were, they would be talking about the dual threat QBs

Translation: I'm a bitter Vick fan who wants another Vick, not some boring, white pocket passer.

You came up for air just to say that.  Go get back on Matt Ryan's knob.

At least the guy whos knob i'm on will actually be a starting QB in the NFL and isn't in prison. :laugh:

halsey (4/12/2008)
halsey (4/12/2008)
If they were, they would be talking about the dual threat QBs

Translation: I'm a bitter Vick fan who wants another Vick, not some boring, white pocket passer.

You came up for air just to say that. Gogetback on Matt Ryan's knob.

At least the guy whos knob i'm on will actually be a starting QB in the NFL and isn't in prison. :laugh:

Both of y'all are too funny with all that.

For me, the fact is that I want a QB who can take us to the superbowl (not too early in the draft) and can give me my moneys worth when I buy season tickets. I want to have my cake and eat it to. I don't want some stiff at QB who is one dimensional like Leftwich. I want to win and be entertained. With our OL, the QB has to be able to move and make something happen once hes gone through the progressions OR the pocket breaks down.....as it will until we fix the line. Thats why we have to address OL and DL early and deal with the QB a little later. In all the pre season games, I have never seen Shockley have a bad series. I expect him to compete for the start this year. May the best man win.

We do know that whoever gets drafted WON'T be in the discussion for the starting role this year anyway.

The media plays 'favorites' because pocket passers have shown to be more successful than dual threat QB's....thus why pocket passers are still winning games in the NFL.

Are dual threat QB's good in the NFL? Of course...but they are not favored because they have not shown to always be more successful in the NFL.

It all comes down to the individual QB, not necessarily the tools they present.

Vick was as talented as any dual-threat quarterback that ever played and no one in this class is of the same class athletically. That being said, he was barely able to mask our poor offensive line, terrible receivers and mediocre running backs, much less raise their performance to a level that could put us in the hunt for a Superbowl. No one in this class is going to mask our terrible offensive line with their feet and ability to improvise, rebuilding the line and finding more than the two competent receivers is more important than the manner in which our next quarterback moves in the pocket and picks up yards.

Serge Storms (4/12/2008)
Vick was as talented as any dual-threat quarterback that ever played and no one in this class is of the same class athletically. That being said, he was barely able to mask our poor offensive line, terrible receivers and mediocre running backs, much less raise their performance to a level that could put us in the hunt for a Superbowl. No one in this class is going to mask our terrible offensive line with their feet and ability to improvise, rebuilding the line and finding more than the two competent receivers is more important than the manner in which our next quarterback moves in the pocket and picks up yards.

True.

Just wish he would have handled his personal life better. Put us in a bad position.

Vick was as talented as any dual-threat quarterback that ever played and no one in this class is of the same class athletically. That being said, he was barely able to mask our poor offensive line, terrible receivers and mediocre running backs, much less raise their performance to a level that could put us in the hunt for a Superbowl. No one in this class is going to mask our terrible offensive line with their feet and ability to improvise, rebuilding the line and finding more than the two competent receivers is more important than the manner in which our next quarterback moves in the pocket and picks up yards

Hasn't anyone figured out yet that running QB's are going to have very short nfl careers. The only reason vick survived as long as he did is because of his elusiveness, not taking as many hits. But still he never had over 55% completion ratio even when his recievers did catch the ball.

Donovan Mcnabb stopped running after he suffered his injury and has done nothing but rely on his arm ever since, which has been successful.

Steve mcnair is a classic example of a running QB. Multiple concussions, but still relied on his arm most of the time, and was very successful. He is an exception.

Bottom line is, a running Qb must think pass first and go threw his progressions before bolting out of the pocket, unlike Vick even when he did have time to throw.

By the way steve mcnair did lose a superbowl to a boring pocket passer. 

Serge Storms (4/12/2008)

AGREED 100%

Andy (4/12/2008)
Vick was as talented as any dual-threat quarterback that ever played and no one in this class is of the same class athletically. That being said, he was barely able to mask our poor offensive line, terrible receivers and mediocre running backs, much less raise their performance to a level that could put us in the hunt for a Superbowl. No one in this class is going to mask our terrible offensive line with their feet and ability to improvise, rebuilding the line and finding more than the two competent receivers is more important than the manner in which our next quarterback moves in the pocket and picks up yards

Hasn't anyone figured out yet that running QB's are going to have very short nfl careers. The only reason vick survived as long as he did is because of his elusiveness, not taking as many hits. But still he never had over 55% completion ratio even when his recievers did catch the ball.

Donovan Mcnabb stopped running after he suffered his injury and has done nothing but rely on his arm ever since, which has been successful.

Steve mcnair is a classic example of a running QB. Multiple concussions, but still relied on his arm most of the time, and was very successful. He is an exception.

Bottom line is, a running Qb must think pass first and go threw his progressions before bolting out of the pocket, unlike Vick even when he did have time to throw.

By the way steve mcnair did loseasuperbowl to a boring pocket passer.

How do you perceive that post as supporting dual-threat quarterbacks over pocket quarterbacks, Andy?