If Jake Long & Glen Dorsey go 1,2.....

g-dawg

I think Atlanta Falcons and Thomas Dimitroff have their hearts set on either Jake Long or Glen Dorsey. There is probably a 50/50 chance that both could be gone before the Falcons select at #3 - similiar to last year when Falcons probably liked LaRon Landry and Adrian Peterson and both went back-to-back in front of us - DOH!!!!!

The above quandry is a very difficult one. I just don't like Ryan that much more than the other QBs so to take him at #3 is heresy to me.   The BEST option to me would be to trade down 1-6 spots but I am not sure if that will be possible.   If Dorsey/Jake are gone, I would like to trade back and take either Sedrick Ellis or one of the offensive tackles while picking up a 2nd round pick.

If not, I probably will just opt to take Sedrick Ellis - I am somewhat bothered by his lack of height  - but, oh well, nobody's perfect.;)

My first choice would be Ellis, followed my Chris Long.  I think Long is the BPA, but then we have to pay starter money to a DE that sits.  Ellis is rated pretty closely to Dorsey, and could come in and make an immediate impact.  I don't want Ryan at #3 and Gholston is too much of a science project for me.  Reminds me David Boston, who also came out of The Ohio State.

I don't think this will be a problem, If MIA happens to take Jake Long, STL will clearly pick Chris Long..If Mia takes Chris Long instead, Stl will clearly pick Jake Long, which leaves us with Glenn Dorsey or Matt Ryan to choose from.

grendel (4/11/2008)
You all really want to leave value on the table by taking like the 7th best guy instead of the best in the draft? We could trade down with NE or NY who both covet Chris Long and STILL take Ellis.

grendel, apparently you did not read my "premise" which was that the Falcons explore trade options and receive nothing like what you have above. The clock is winding down, there are no trade offers and the commissioner must read a card saying which player the Falcons will select at #3 overall....

Right off-the-bat you can eliminate a few of those choices.  Matt Ryan simply doesn't fit our offense, and isn't worthy of the #3 pick.  I believe this, and I suspect TD feels the same way.  No way should we reach for one of the OTs with the #3 pick.  And Gholston simply shouldn't be a top 10 pick.

Thus, we're left with the choice of Sedrick Ellis and Chris Long.  Long is easily the better player.  Now, I like Ellis too, but I'm just not sure he's worthy of a top 3 pick. 

Our phone would be ringing off-the-hook with offers for Chris Long.  If TD doesn't feel any of those offers are good enough, we take Long.

Chris Long will never be our choice as he is not a need.

:w00t: most experts think he can play any position in the front 7. play him at UT for a year then decide on abe or andersons future. abe will be 31 before the next season not to mention half his career he has not played in all 16 games. i don't think you can leave the BPA, in mosts opinion, on the board. if we have a smart coaching staff you find a way to use him period. heck howie played some UT as well as DE. chris can do the same.

grendel (4/11/2008)
M4DR0X (4/11/2008)
Chris Long will never be our choice as he is not a need.

Here's a quiz:

How many starter quality DE's does a team need?

Here's a hint, the answer 2 = FAIL

If Falcons have Ellis just a slight notch below Dorsey, then I think you just take Ellis.  I do think Chris Long will be very good NFL player but his "upside" is probably "Patrick Kerney" - not "Michael Strahan".......granted Kerney is a dayum good player(wish we still had him).

I think Sed Ellis will be very good NFL'er.......he fills a need and is probably no worse than the 5th best talent in this draft - taking him at #3 is not exactly a huge reach.....

McFadden, then trade him for which ever team drafts the QB we want several picks after #3, plus get a 2nd rounder in return. QB of the future and another day 1 pick!

Does Atlanta have Ryan that much higher than Brohm?

If no one takes McFadden we have a killer backfield for a year. ;) Perhaps DJ Shockley can get some experience with that kind of supporting cast?

Of course, OT will need to be addressed in round 2 if we can't get Long at #3.