Just read this on Matt Ryan of BC

Josh Affonso

He is not a good fit for a vertical passing attack, but for a team comfortable moving the chains with a mistake-free engineer at the helm, they could find a nice fit in Ryan during the draft's first day.

I hope TD gets the memo. I am not one of those people who will have a heart attack if we pick Matt Ryan at #3 but from what I hae been reading in scouting reports, the deep ball sail on him, and it seems that most of his mistakes are made in the vertical game.

I know that some people are hung up on the interceptions but honestly this is a far bigger red flag to me.

Josh Affonso (4/11/2008)
He is not a good fit for a vertical passing attack, but for a team comfortable moving the chains with a mistake-free engineer at the helm, they could find a nice fit in Ryan during the draft's first day.

I hope TD gets the memo. I am not one of those people who will have a heart attack if we pick Matt Ryan at #3 but from what I hae been reading in scouting reports, the deep ball sail on him, and it seems that most of his mistakes are made in the vertical game.

I know that some people are hung up on the interceptions but honestly this is a far bigger red flag to me.

Where did you get it?Link?

Josh Affonso (4/11/2008)

How can you call someone who had 19 INT's in 14 games a "mistake-free" engineer?

Josh Affonso (4/11/2008)

And I keep seeing how he has a stronger arm than Brohm.... 

I don't want any QB with the #3 pick...  there are too many questions with them for a pick that high...

SonofAlois (4/11/2008)
iDash (4/11/2008)
McShay said last night on Espn, something like

Brohm is not as accurate as Matt Ryan,

Is Matt Ryan paying them to lie?

especially when ryan had a 59% accuracy on his passes in his senior year, while brohm had a 65% completion percentage

that actually has a lot to do with the systems that they played in respectevley.

No, he doesn't. That's a common misconception. Ryan has a barely average arm. Brohm has the 2nd strongest arm in the draft (as measured in the combine).

I don't know who has the stronger arm.... and I don't really care...  but why do the "experts" keep saying Ryan has the better one of the two?  ESPECIALLY if it was proven at the combine?

iDash (4/11/2008)
Here is McShay QB rating before the VT game

positionQuarterbacks1. Brian Brohm, Louisville2. Andre Woodson, Kentucky3. Chad Henne, Michigan4. Colt Brennan, Hawaii5. Erik Ainge,

Its LAUGHABLE (see:w00t::laugh::D) the CRAP that comes out of the mouths' of McShay, Kiper and Mayock on Matt Ryan. I am not sure which is bigger,  the "kennedy assasination conspiracy" or the "matt ryan conspiracy".....there may be more people involved in the Matt Ryan conspiracy....

BlacksburgHokie (4/11/2008)
Josh Affonso (4/11/2008)

How can you call someone who had 19 INT's in 14 games a "mistake-free" engineer?

Are you guys even reading this? What they are saying is He is not good for a vertical passing game. He is one of those 3-5 step guys quick realease throwing the ball on 7-8 yard hooks and comebacks, 3-5 yard outs, and quick slants. This is the offense Mularky may go with. Saying mistake free engineer means, as long as he is not throwing deep, he makes very few mistakes. Watch the films and you will see. They say the same thing about Romo and Brady...not that I am comparing him to them, but you see my point...hopefully.

I don't know. I wish I could answer that. The gap between reality and perception is especially high this year.

That's where I was going with this...  when it comes to the QB's I am seeing a bunch of different evaluations... which leads me to think people are projecting things on these QBs that might not be accurate....

Last year... there was NO difference of opinion about Calvin Johnson. EVERYONE agreed about him....

Even the evaluations of Brady and Russel were fairly consistent.  The QB evals of this draft are soo radically different that I don't feel great about us taking one with the #3 pick.

Sun Tzu 7 (4/11/2008)
Even the evaluations of Brady and Russel were fairly consistent. The QB evals of this draft are soo radically different that I don't feel great about us taking one with the #3 pick.

I have found this to be true with far more than just the Quarterbacks in this class. And I don't just mean that in a negative way...but I have seen player rankings and mocks that vary so much that it's rediculous. It makes it hard to gauge talent when you see two scouting reports on the same player that say basically the exact opposite things.

I come to the following conclusion: either this class is so full of talent that it makes it hard to rank players because they could all go higher then they will, or this class is so devoid of talent that we are trying to fill up the top spots on our draft boards with players who are boarderline at best.

Thoughts?

grendel (4/11/2008)
I thought Russell was horribly overvalued and was a huge reach at #1. Throwing the ball 70 yards from your knees is a nice bar trick,but it's not that important in a real football game.

That is the exact same reason that Flacco might sneak his way into the first round...and I feel bad for whatever team drafts him as their future.

I think that we are lucky to know that TD values in-game performance over measureables.

It's too bad that there is so little talent at Quarterback in the next few years, because we need a franchise guy so badly right now. So, instead of getting a truely great QB, we are going to reach for a less-talented player who we will likely need to replace in a few years.

I thought Russell was horribly overvalued and was a huge reach at #1. Throwing the ball 70 yards from your knees is a nice bar trick,but it's not that important in a real football game.

Yes but most agreed that he had a HUGE upside..... which is what got him drafted him #1 IMO... his potential... which is f'ing DANGEROUS with the #1 pick.....

Brady was more of the known name but was he the more polished product?  Every big game he was in I remember him losing...

My brother was at the Ga Tech/Notre Dame at game in Brady's senior year and said he saw how the Tech defense rattled Brady after they poped him a few times...  that really made him doubt Brady being a franchise QB... 

Josh Affonso (4/11/2008)
grendel (4/11/2008)

That is the exact same reason that Flacco might sneak his way into the first round...and I feel bad for whatever team drafts him as their future.

I think that we are lucky to know that TD values in-game performance over measureables.

He wouldnt compete against tyler palko and hes a 1st rounder?No sir...

grendel (4/11/2008)
Josh Affonso (4/11/2008)
It's too bad that there is so little talent at Quarterback in the next few years, because we need a franchise guy so badly right now. So, instead of getting a truely great QB, we are going to reach for a less-talented player who we will likely need to replace in a few years.

Brohm is really and truly a great franchise QB prospect

Yep.