A possible trading partner back to round one

cord2001

I was watching ESPN's First take and they were discussing the San Diego chargers today in regards to the draft. The beat writer said one thing that stood out they have no specific needs they are pretty much stacked. They draft at number 27 and have traded away their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks. They might be looking to trade down to recoup some picks back. I could see this as a possibility if we trade back up to round one.

Very possible, but it depends on what the Dolphins & Rams do with their 1st picks....I don't see us moving ahead of them unless we are gunning for the same guy....I think the only teams after San Diego are Green Bay, NY Giants, & Dallas???

I don't think those teams will be looking at QB...just my thought.

Monsta (4/11/2008)
Very possible, but it depends on what the Dolphins & Rams do with their 1st picks....I don't see us moving ahead of them unless we are gunning for the same guy....I think the only teams after San Diego are Green Bay, NY Giants, & Dallas???

I don't think those teams will be looking at QB...just my thought.

Well, I think Green Bay would look pretty hard at either Brohm/Flacco...and I know that Miami would....If they'd take our 2nd 2nd, and our 1st 3rd, I'd do it.

It all depends who we are trying to get in front of (and why).

#20 Bucs - there is a lot of talk about the Bucs taking a QB at #20. Don't know if it is true or not (who does other than the Bucs). If we think we need to get ahead of the Bucs, #19 Eagles or #18 Texans are both possibles (as both would have good reasons for trading down.)

The Bears trading up. The Bears plenty of ammo to trade up into the 1st round also, although it might be hard for them to get above 22.  The rumor is the Bears are tageting Flacco (they have been scouting him closely for 2 years), but again who knows for sure. If we wait on a QB there is a strong chance the Bears will move ahead of us. Considering the Bears only signed Grossman to a 1 year deal, it seems almost certain they are planning on drafting a QB this year, letting him sit for a year, then starting him the next year.

The unexpected. Remember when the Eagles traded up last year to draft a QB? Were you surprised (if you weren't you were the only one.) I gurantee there is also a sleeper team that is going after a QB, we just don't know who it is yet.

after san diego, san fran has a pick and with all of their qb troubles they would put serious consideration into a quarterback especially brohm so if the falcons want their guy they at least have to move up to 27. that said, the chargers might not want to trade but instead pick up gosder cherilus or kenny phillips because safety and right tackle are the only concerning weaknessess on the team.

dallas has the pick after san diego, not the 49ers.

and id be surprised if they went a direction other than OLB like quentin groves or WR like kelly, hardy or early doucet at #29. both are bigger needs than QB imo, and it would mean they were essentially gearing up for kicking alex smith out, and im not sure they are ready to do that.

jmo, but it would be easy enough to move up to #28. we could give up #34 and our 4th to get into the 25-27 range, so 28 wouldnt be any different.

Mr. Offseason (4/11/2008)
dallas has the pick after san diego, not the 49ers.

and id be surprised if they went a direction other than OLB like quentin groves or WR like kelly, hardy or early doucet at #29. both are bigger needs than QB imo, and it would mean they were essentially gearing up for kicking alex smith out, and im not sure they are ready to do that.

jmo, but it would be easy enough to move up to #28. we could give up #34 and our 4th to get into the 25-27 range, so 28 wouldnt be any different.

you're right dallas has 28, but if brohm is on the board at 29 it'd be difficult for san fran to pass him up