Why are most of you "Dorsey or bust"?

David Ethan

I keep reading in every thread "If Dorsey isn't there at three, we must trade down" or "if X, Y and Z happens, Dorsey will be there for us" or "Dorsey is what this team needs most".

Says who??  Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Dorsey fan and would be excited if that's who we select, assuming that he's there.  But why the doom and gloom if he's not there?  What I'm not understanding is the general consensus that if he don't get Dorsey (or may J. Long) then the pick is not of value to us and we must trade down.

Ummm.....correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the best player in the draft a possibility for us at three if J. Long and Dorsey are gone?  Since when are the Falcons so good that there is no use for the best player in the draft, regardless of what position he plays? 

Chris Long is the best player in the draft and would be an upgrade over what we have.  So would Gholston.  A lot of teams, as hard as this may be for you to believe, have Ellis rated HIGHER than Dorsey.  I for one would rather have Ellis and I know some of you would too.

One of the arguments made, and one I don't understand is this:  The argument that we drafted Anderson last year and can't rule him out yet, implying that DE is a position of strength and Long or Gholston is a wasted pick.  Here's my point....why do most of you want Dorsey?  That's easy, he's better than the players at that position than are currently on our roster.  Using that same logic, if we can all agree that Gholston and C. Long are better than the players currently on our roster, why not pick them?

I want Dorsey first and foremost.  I really don't want Jake Long too much.  He'll be good but I'm a little worried if he's more suited for RT.  Obviously, if you can play one, you should be able to play the other though.  If neither are there, I say we go with Gholston.  He can play LB and we have a need there.  If Jamaal continues to be a bust, then we move him to DE.  I wouldn't mind having Chris Long either.  These guys will be fine with me.  I'm also not beyond moving Anderson to LB and play around with things.

If however, TD selects Matt Ryan, I'll support the decision and be a #1 Matt Ryan fan. 

We are not as weak at DE than we are at DT.  Sure Anderson isn't a monster yet, but honestly I think he'll outplay Gholston and C. Long this year.  Maybe not after, but we tied #8 money into him so paying 3 first round DE's so much hurts us.

Dorsey will make everything much easier for Abe and Anderson and he's the most dominant DT in years.

grendel (4/11/2008)
David Ethan (4/11/2008)
grendel (4/11/2008)
Trade down or bust!

why

Because an extra 2nd round pick would help us fill more holes on this team.

I agree and think that we should trade the pick no matter what.  What I don't understand is the thought that many people have, which is trade down only if we can't get Dorsey, like this guy is an absolute savior, the kind of which no other player can be at #3

Bring It (4/11/2008)
BOTTOM LINE IS............WE'RE GOING TO GET A **** GOOD PLAYER AT 3.............WHOEVER IT IS.............OR.........WE GET MORE QUALITY PICKS IN A TRADE FOR OURS.

THAT ABOUT SUMS IT UP  !!!!!!!!!

I agree.  Dorsey, C. Long, Gholston, Ellis and J. Long are all great, three of which we will be able to choose from and all will help our team greatly

I look at it this way.

MUST HAVES

DT preferably a Nose tackle - nearly everone says Dorsey and Ellis are the best choices

OLT everyone says J. Long is the best choice

NEEDS

QB  there are a gang of candidates here

DT  the UT  Again Dorsey and Ellis are considered the best choices

MLB ?

NICE TO HAVES

CB  ?

a Safety either slot

OG  ?

?? a power running back

grendel (4/11/2008)
David Ethan (4/11/2008)
grendel (4/11/2008)
David Ethan (4/11/2008)
grendel (4/11/2008)
Trade down or bust!

why

Because an extra 2nd round pick would help us fill more holes on this team.

I agree and think that we should trade the pick no matter what. What I don't understand is the thought that many people have, which is trade down only if we can't get Dorsey, like this guy is an absolute savior, the kind of which no other player can be at #3

Dorsey is one of the 2 best players in the draft. If we were only a couple players away from being a good team, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Unfortunately the roster is pretty devoid of talent right now, and we would do better to have more 1st-3rd round picks rather than a few guys who are superstars.

Franchise players elevate the play around them.You can have to many picks.Try signing all these picks if they even work out.You cant undo years with 1 draft.We went thru to much to pass on a possible franchise player for less likely prospects.

Trey Lewis is hurt, and we lost coleman this year... I agree we did bring players in but we Desperately need A DT... Why draft a DE at 3 when we drafted one so high last year? Give Anderson a little more time that's what I'd do anyway. I really hope we don't get an end at 3 but if it happens so be it, I trust the front office....as long as they don't draft ryan.....

Personally, I wouldn't mind if we drafted J. Long, C. Long or Dorsey at # 3, as long as it isn't Matt Ryan I will be happy.  However, since we have so many needs right now I think it would be wise for us to trade down a few spots if we can - perhaps w/ Baltimore, who is in love w/ Ryan according to some reports - so we can gain some more picks (possibly another 1st next year).  At # 8, we would still have a shot at either Ellis or Clady who would both fill line needs.  I'm not sold on Gholston yet (heard a lot of hype, but haven't seen him play much personally).

I think we need a tackle more than an end but I want Ellis over Dorsey. I want the season to start to see what we look like. Can Madden hurry up or something! Sheesh! Talking with you guys makes me want to see my Falcons play just that much more!