Widow sues Petsmart over husband� s death

biloxifalcon

sourceReuters2.gif
updated 7:39 p.m. ET, Thurs., April. 10, 2008

BOSTON - A widow is suing Petsmart Inc, saying that her husband died after a liver transplant that was contaminated by a sick hamster sold by the largest U.S. specialty pet retailer to the organ donor.

The suit, filed in Massachusetts Superior Court in February, seeking unspecified damages, moved up to U.S. District Court in Boston this week.

In papers filed in the state court, Nancy Magee charged that a Petsmart in Warwick, Rhode Island in March 2005 sold a hamster infected with lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus, or LCMV, to a woman not named in the suit.

That woman later died of stroke and her liver was implanted in Magee's husband, Thomas, in April 2005. A month later, Thomas Magee died of LCMV.

LINK: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24055710/wid/11915773?GT1=31037

Wow, that's totally effed up. There must not be time to check organs for diseases before a transplant. Man, I hope I NEVER need anything transplanted or transfused!

Two other people who received organs from this woman died and one became seriously ill, the suit says, noting that medical authorities later tracked down the hamster in question and found it to be infected with LCMV.

Petsmart spokeswoman Jessica Douglas said the Phoenix, Arizona-based company does not comment on pending litigation.

crumplin (4/11/2008)
Every animal that gets adopted at an animal store like Petsmark is sick. Petsmark is not going to be held libel in the Thomas' death. The hospital is going to be held libel for not checking the organ for any virus or disease.
I doubt the hospital will be held responsible, unless they skipped procedures.

I agree that you shouldn't be allowed to sue for bad luck.  The guy died because he had a messed up liver, probably the result of something he did.