Check out this idea: What if the Falcons just took the guy they believe teams below them want the most.

halsey

For example, tell Oakland and the Jets that they're gonna take McFadden no matter what and will only part with him for another top 8 pick and another decent pick. Maybe a second rounder. Maybe a 2009 second rounder even. Or maybe take C. Long or Gholston if one of them is left. Whichever guy they believe would bring the most trade interest. I really think the Falcons would be better off moving down and taking an OT. If they take McFadden or C. Long, Gholston, or whoever; so what? Find a way to use that guy. For example, if the Falcons were to take McFadden, try to trade him and get no taker then just trade Norwood or go into 2008 with 3 RB's. Norwood can be allowed to walk when his contract is up soon. I believe the Falcons could do that and find a partner. Worst case scenario is they keep the most widely desired player available.

bossFALCON (4/11/2008)
so do you mean draft mcfadden, c.long or gholston and then try to trade them or just garner intrest and trade the pick?

Basically. I'm just saying take the guy that will garner the most interest and find a way to move down a little.

Then again teams may simply not want to pay #3 money for anybody. I just hope there is some player that teams like the Raiders, Jets, Chiefs and Ravens wouldn't mind paying that money to.

I'm just not as excited about Dorsey as I used to be. Not because he won't be great, but because I'm worried he will only be great for a short time because his body took a beating in college. I worry he will be a smaller Kris Jenkins: Really good for a few years and then quickly past his prime due to wear and tear.

halsey (4/11/2008)
I'm just not as excited about Dorsey as I used to be. Not because he won't be great, but because I'm worried he will only be great for a short time because his body took a beating in college. I worry he will be a smaller Kris Jenkins: Really good for a few years and then quickly past his prime due to wear and tear.

im not worried about glenn dorsey. he'll be alright. im more excited about drafting him than ever.

halsey (4/11/2008)
For example, tell Oakland and the Jets that they're gonna take McFadden no matter what and will only part with him for another top 8 pick and another decent pick. Maybe a second rounder. Maybe a 2009 second rounder even. Or maybe take C. Long or Gholston if one of them is left. Whichever guy they believe would bring the most trade interest. I really think the Falcons would be better off moving down and taking an OT. If they take McFadden or C. Long, Gholston, or whoever; so what? Find a way to use that guy. For example, if the Falcons were to take McFadden, try to trade him and get no taker then just trade Norwood or go into 2008 with 3 RB's. Norwood can be allowed to walk when his contract is up soon. I believe the Falcons could do that and find a partner. Worst case scenario is they keep the most widely desired player available.

I don't see why not...it always seems to happen to us every year.

David Ethan (4/11/2008)
been saying this all along...if C. Long is there at three, you take him, entertain trade offers and if nothing is enticing enough, you keep him and laugh all the way to the bank

I don't have a problem with drafting Chris Long because I think he will be a super star. but I don't think we should get too fancy with trying to mess with other teams. If we draft a player at #3 there should be no questions about him. There are no questions about C. Long.

I was talking about this kind of tactic on these

boards a month or so ago when I thought the

order was Long, Long and then clearly McFadden

who I don't think we need. At that time he seemed

to me to be head and shoulders above Gholston, Ellis,

Ryan and Dorsey. I think with the strong rb class his

hype has died down some. Issues with Dorseys health

have been cleared up and Gholston worked out and

both these guys stock has risen. If one of the Longs

were to fall to us I think we should just take him. Keep

it simple.

With teams using smokescreens and filling different positions than thought, it just isn't a good idea.

A team like the Jets might want McFadden, but they'll draft a 2nd round RB and be fine with it and not trade.

If a team doesn't trade during the 10 minutes we're on the clock, look out for us and get who we need.

You'd be playing poker with the #3 pick.  You don't mess around with when it comes to that kind of money.

A draft pick is like a new car.  As soon as you drive the car off the lot it loses half it's value.

Many times the pick is more valuable than the player...  because every team rates players differently but the value of the pick is a constant.

San Diego did this with Eli Manning but there is no player like that in THIS draft.  The Giants had basically tipped their hand before the draft and San Diego made them pay for it.  In the end it worked out for the Giants... but at the time of the draft....

There's not a guy that a team feels is a MUST have... or if there is they're not letting anyone know.

muskokas finest (4/11/2008)
We have a team full of holes, a chance at an elite player and you want to draft for someone else? That logic escapes me.

That's exactly right. This team has many holes. The #3 pick is not even remotely close to a guarentee of getting an elite player. In fact, trading down and getting an extra pick allow more holes to be filled whole also giving more chances of finding an elite player. Look at the Colts in 2004. They traded down by giving the Falcons thier first round pick. The moved into the second round to get Bob Sanders while the Falcons moved up to get Mike Jenkins. The real kicker is they got an extra pick.