Malcolm Kelly...

ki45toryu

His comments just further validate the notion that football programs should look to improve the academic quality of their 'student'-athletes.

After running a poor 40 time, Kelly went on to whine about OU....

"This is my life. You know what I'm saying? This ain't no school. This ain't no classroom. This ain't got nothing to do with that," Kelly said. "This has to do with me; my family. This is what I do. I play football. And I'm supposed to come out here and run as fast as I can."

Now I read the whole article...so I understand the context of his comments...they just make no sense. Its too bad programs will continue to foster me-first players that do little to further their school's scholastic achievements.

And do not use 'booster money' as a means of improving the school academically...as Harvard, Yale, and Princeton...with their lack of 'quality' athletic programs all have the largest school endowments of all US universities.

Demetrius Dew (4/10/2008)
It's really fans like ourselves that allow schools or enable schools to foster me first players because we the fans and alumni want the school to win at all cost regardless of what type of player or person the school gets to accomplish that.

bingo..  and this will never change period.  When coaches get 4 million dollar contracts and you have huge tv contracts and you have fans who want to win or else and boosters in this as well, it's the nature of the beast.  There are plenty of very very good student athletes throughout the country that actually are in school for an education, but you don't hear about them.  Instead you hear about Kelly. 

SacFalcFan (4/10/2008)
Demetrius Dew (4/10/2008)
It's really fans like ourselves that allow schools or enable schools to foster me first players because we the fans and alumni want the school to win at all cost regardless of what type of player or person the school gets to accomplish that.

bingo..  and this will never change period.  When coaches get 4 million dollar contracts and you have huge tv contracts and you have fans who want to win or else and boosters in this as well, it's the nature of the beast.  There are plenty of very very good student athletes throughout the country that actually are in school for an education, but you don't hear about them.  Instead you hear about Kelly. 

yeah its too bad...you may get a blurb during the game about a guy, but thats about it