My First Mock

b well

1-Glenn Dorsey-DT-I miss the exciting plays Rod Coleman made at the UT spot, and Dorsey can provide them...a premier prospect for the DT rotation will be huge.

2a-Joe Flacco-QB-I like Redmond as a short-term starter in ATL, but we have to begin developing a replacement. Flacco has a huge arm, an excellent delivery, and great size at 6'6. His accuracy needs to develop more, and the huge difference in game speed between Delaware and NFL will take some major adapting.

2b-Carl Nicks-RT-HUGE and very strong, I believe he can come in and immediately start at RT, allowing Todd Weiner to start at LT.

2c-Sam Baker-LT-I know I'll get some grief about starting Weiner at LT, but hes the BEST choice we have (unless we draft Clady or Williams) at the time. Baker is not ready to come in and start, but I think he will be a descent LT down the road. He can come in back up Weiner and play guard.

3-Chris Ellis-DE-I believe will be rotating the dline alot this season, and Ellis can be another quality DE.

3comp-Phillip Wheeler-ILB-Alot of people want Conner, Loften, or Mayo in the 2nd round, but I believe our Oline problems need to be settled there. Wheeler is a very exciting player, that can make big plays. (I'm all for Boley and Brooking on the outsides and Wheeler controlling the middle.

4-Tyvon Branch-CB-Branch has been very impressive at the camps, running low 4.3s. I like his potential.

5-Kellen Davis-TE-Big athletic tight end, runs very well after the catch and is underrated as a blocker.

6-Chad Rinehart-OG-More depth at Guard.

7-Justin Tryon-CB-More depth at CB...can return aswell...I really can't stand Adam Jennings...

No safety?!?!?! I like where we are at safety...I'm a big Daren Stone fan, and I think he can take over for Milloy when his time is up...Jimmy Williams can continue to develop behind Coleman and hopefully fulfill his potential.

Where are my critics!!!

I just don't think that Sam Baker is strong enough to hold down the NFL LT spot right now, yeah he has plenty of experience (against the best competition), he just isn't big enough yet. Nicks on the other hand is monstrous, and has plenty of strength to be an effective RT NOW. The LT is more difficult than RT, so even with the lack of experience, I believe Nicks would be a better starter than Baker (again, taking into consideration the LT and RT spots).

b well (4/10/2008)
I just don't think that Sam Baker is strong enough to hold down the NFL LT spot right now, yeah he has plenty of experience (against the best competition), he just isn't big enough yet. Nicks on the other hand is monstrous, and has plenty of strength to be an effective RT NOW. The LT is more difficult than RT, so even with the lack of experience, I believe Nicks would be a better starter than Baker (again, taking into consideration the LT and RT spots).
Actually Baker did more reps in the bench press then some of the top talents. 

Sam Baker 29

Chris Williams 21

Ryan Clady 24

Gosder Cherilus 24

Nicks did out bench him by 2 reps but that really isn't that big a deal.  Bakers' technique is head and shoulders above Nicks and I would rather take a guy with good technique and a little less strength then a slightly stronger but unpolished LT.

Draft Crazy (4/10/2008)
b well (4/10/2008)
Actually Baker did more reps in the bench press then some of the top talents. 

Sam Baker 29

Chris Williams 21

Ryan Clady 24

Gosder Cherilus 24

Nicks did out bench him by 2 reps but that really isn't that big a deal.  Bakers' technique is head and shoulders above Nicks and I would rather take a guy with good technique and a little less strength then a slightly stronger but unpolished LT.

Can you say owned?:D

He might have owned me, but we will have to see how these guys turn out....

I didn't mean to limit strength to just bench presses...in that case little man Thomas Brown (RB from UGA) would dominate all...Nicks is just way more powerful than Baker, he is around 340 pounds, quicker, and plays with much more aggression...Baker (around 310 pounds) is worlds ahead of Nicks in technique, footwork, etc., but I don't think Nicks needs all that technique to perform well at the RIGHT TACKLE SPOT. More technique is needed at LEFT TACKLE which Nicks would suck at, and Baker isn't powerful or aggressive enough to handle LEFT TACKLE right now either.

For O-line, I think bench press is more about endurance than strength. They're only lifting 225 lbs.-- that's a small WLB.

In any case, functional strength is generally something that has to be observed on tape, not measured in a gym. Too many factors play into it: arm length, leverage, punch, quick twitch, footwork, etc., etc. Fortunately, this is something that usually can be fixed with discipline, good coaching and time. You can't teach a guy have a mean streak and play to the whistle.

i like the mock alot except i would rather have a different guard than chad rinehart and im not sure about kellen davis i have heard from a titans fan that ben hartstock is a great blocking tight end and have very nice hands and runs great routes but was never really given a chance to be a recieving tight end. other than those two picks i like your mock alot.