Attention Vault Dwellers get ready

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/10/joystiq-...t-3-360-pc-ps3/

fallout-3-sunset-shot-490.jpg

For those of you who haven't played any ofthe Fallout games, trust me, this one will rock. The best way to describe the way that Fallout 3 will play is Oblivion (same developers) meets Mass Effect. It is coming to 360, PS3, and PC in Fall. It can be played as first-person or third-person, and it can be played in real-time or round-by-round with queued commands.

The game is expected to have over 50-60 voice actors, including Liam Neeson voicing the character of your father. The game will have over 500 possible outcomes depending on your decisions made throughout the game. The tutorial and character builder take place in the form of a fast-forward through your childhood, as you grow up in one of the vaults seen in Fallout 2.  While the game world is smaller than Oblivion's, Bethesda says that it is much more dense with more things to do. The game world is the post-apocolyptic US East coast, with the ruins of Washington DC taking up approximately 1/4th of the map.

Oh yeah, and its really really really gory.

Fallout is awesome... and if they are making it like a post-apocalyptic Oblivion mixed with standard Fallout play, then I can't wait to give it a spin.

Oblivion is unbelievably huge... it's good to see that this one won't be quite so massive, but still big.

Carter (4/10/2008)
Fallout is awesome... and if they are making it like a post-apocalyptic Oblivion mixed with standard Fallout play, then I can't wait to give it a spin.

Oblivion is unbelievably huge... it's good to see that this one won't be quite so massive, but still big.

I think the idea is smaller map, but with more (denser) content. Oblivion was mostly countryside, while Fallout 3 will likely be more urban.  1/4th of the map is made up of the ruins of Wahington DC.

ucsbdirtybird (4/11/2008)
This one is certainly on the radar. I am kinda hoping Fable 2 will be another great one later this year. There doesn't seem to be a lot of great RPG's for the next gen systems yet

Have you played Lost Odyssey or Eternal Sonata? I thought they were both great RPGs, especially Lost Odyssey. Blue Dragon is pretty good as well but takes a while to get into.

For those not familiar with the Fallout universe, the best way to sum it up quickly is to present a link to the Fallout 2 Intro Movie: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/343076/fallout_2/  (from 1996/7 I think)

Gamestop has some collector's edition details posted: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/fallout3/default.aspx ...  Bobblehead Pip-Boy doll and it all comes in a Vault-Tec lunchbox :hehe:

QV_26 (4/13/2008)
oblivion meets mass effect? not to say those are bad games as i have owned both of them and enjoyed them very much, but thats like saying Halo 3 meets cod4...or nba 2k8 meets nba live...or ncaa football meets madden...

Not really a good comparison... Oblivion is set in a fantasy medieval time and Mass Effect is obviously pretty sci-fi futuristic.  All those other games you mentioned aren't nearly so far removed from one another.