I just finished this book last night and highly recommend it, it is in no way as divisive as the title may lead you to believe. We all talk about having a real and serious talk about race, Elder does so brilliantly. I'm including a link to the Audible site if you click on the audio sample Elder himself reads a portion which gives a very good overview and sets the tone of the book.

http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/products/...UseBVCookie=Yes

full_image.jpg

Stupid Black Men: How to Play the Race Card - and Lose

Publisher's Summary

Is life unfair for black Americans?

Is racial equality the answer to every question of public policy?

Is a huge group of citizens kept down by "the man"?

Radio host and best-selling author Larry Elder has made a career out of being a thorn in the side of the conventional-wisdom crowd. He deflates the pompous and points out the completely logical truths hidden behind the nutty rhetoric and out-of-control pandering of politicians and the so-called leaders of a variety of special-interest groups.

In Stupid Black Men, he takes on the mind-set of those people who always capture the most media attention - as well as masses of public money - people who say that racism is the root of all problems and who end up hurting precisely those they claim to be helping.

Whether they are demagogues like Al Sharpton, established politicians like Hilary Clinton, or entertainers like Danny Glover, no one escapes Elder's cogent arguments and rapier wit. His sometimes hilarious and always infuriating examples of wrong-headedness skewer not just politicians for their smugness and hypocrisy but also actors, educators, religious leaders, and the "main-scream media" for keeping the story in the headlines. But Elder has a positive message, too: though they are fewer - and generally not as loudmouthed - there are leaders and role models today who want to sweep away race-based whining and urge everyone in America to share in the hard work, smart thinking, and optimism that make this country great.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

reiri (4/10/2008)
ATLBrave12 (4/10/2008)
reiri (4/10/2008)
Larry Elder is the biggest sellout since Lincoln Perry

Thinking like that just proves his point even further.

He actually has no point...Unless hes one of the stupid black men he chooses to name his book after

He has no point because it's something you don't like? Seriously, all I have ever heard you call anyone (especially black men) who actually wants to solve the problem that is racism is a sellout.

ATLBrave12 (4/10/2008)
reiri (4/10/2008)
ATLBrave12 (4/10/2008)
reiri (4/10/2008)

He actually has no point...Unless hes one of the stupid black men he chooses to name his book after

He has no point because it's something you don't like? Seriously, all I have ever heard you call anyone (especially black men) who actually wants to solve the problem that is racism is a sellout.

No he has no point because he is disrespectful with his book title. This dude is nothing more than a thespian(wasnt he the one with that court show on UPN?)

I respect alot of black men who want to solve the problem of racism...Like Louis Farrakhan and Tavis Smiley

Dhug (4/10/2008)
Statick (4/10/2008)
I like Larry Elder. He knows how to express his insight well.

I have never been able to figure him out.....usually, it just seems like he wants to sell himself and or his book.

Have you ever read any of his stuff before? Or listened to his radio show?

He's pretty direct in what he says.

Statick (4/10/2008)
Dhug (4/10/2008)
Statick (4/10/2008)
I like Larry Elder. He knows how to express his insight well.

I have never been able to figure him out.....usually, it just seems like he wants to sell himself and or his book.

Have you ever read any of his stuff before? Or listened to his radio show?

He's pretty direct in what he says.

read yes...radio listened no.......seen tv interviews.

BlacksburgHokie (4/10/2008)
Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly does this have to do with the Falcons, or even with football in general?

If you want to go have a discussion about race and the state of society, there are better forums (and better message boards) to go do that on...

This forum is "Anything but Football," so it's in the right place.

ForceFan27 (4/10/2008)
BlacksburgHokie (4/10/2008)
Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly does this have to do with the Falcons, or even with football in general?

If you want to go have a discussion about race and the state of society, there are better forums (and better message boards) to go do that on...

This forum is "Anything but Football," so it's in the right place.

Nope, that was my fault. I usually keep two pages open one with ABF and one TATF, I stupidly submitted this thread in the wrong page, a mod moved it very quickly thankfully, or 20 more Captain Obvious jackholes like the guy you quoted would have screamed the same thing.

Tetsujin-28 (4/10/2008)
Rickey (4/10/2008)
Elder is another Uncle Tom!
I agree. I hate to see him tap dancing and yes sir bossin on Hannity and Combs or the Bill O'Reilly show every night.

Uncle Tom is a pejorative for an African American who is perceived by others as behaving in a subservient manner to White American authority figures, or as seeking ingratiation with them by way of unnecessary accommodation.

This is the exact opposite message that Elder puts forth in the book. His overlying thesis throughout is that the black race is more than capable of taking care of itself on each and every level of life. They neither need nor are they done any favors by the liberal mentality that dictates they must be looked after or have special accommodation's made for them because of past injustices. He is hardly being subservient in any manner through this message, but hey none of that really matters I guess, apparently he ain't keepin it real enough for the true black folk out there.:crazy:

reiri (4/10/2008)
ATLBrave12 (4/10/2008)
reiri (4/10/2008)
ATLBrave12 (4/10/2008)
reiri (4/10/2008)

No he has no point because he is disrespectful with his book title. This dude is nothing more than a thespian(wasnt he the one with that court show on UPN?)

I respect alot of black men who want to solve the problem of racism...Like Louis Farrakhan and Tavis Smiley

You blew it when you said you respect men like Farrakhan. He has done NOTHING to end racism, in fact, he instigates it.