Drew Boylhart Top 10 Players

This comes from Drew Boylhart at the Huddle Report. Great website for honest, film-driven profiles of players entering the NFL Draft.

Jake Long OT - Jake will be an excellent offensive lineman and if he can fit into your system as a LT then you have improved two positions with drafting one player. You have improved the QB position by giving the QB more time to make decisions along with the upgrade at the LT position. You can not tell me that improving two positions with just one pick is not one of the better things you can do in a draft.

Vernon Gholston DE/OLB - Vernon is the most explosive defensive player in this draft. He is a multi -talented player who can play more than one position. Vernon could be as impacting for the team that drafts him as Lawrence Taylor was when Lawrence played for the Giants. I think that says it all.

Darren McFadden RB - Darren is the most explosive offensive player in this draft. I have seen him run in a single back set and with a fullback in a two back set. I have seen him run through the tackles with power, strength, lateral agility, vision and excellent techniques. I have seen him catch the ball out of the backfield and also block for his QB. Darren runs with the same style as Gayle Sayers and OJ Simpson did. These are long striding RB s that run with excellent balance and make their cuts with power and strength way ahead of were the average back would make their cuts. Darren is a franchise back and concerns of his lack of maturity off the field are a concern but not a reason to down grade him.

Matt Ryan QB - Matt is a franchise QB with a good arm and excellent leadership quailities and intelligence. The only reason teams are down grading him is because the need for a QB by the teams that have top ten picks just is not there. You can not tell me that Matt Ryan is not as good as Philip Rivers was when Philip was eligible for his draft! Think about it.

Chris Long DE/OLB - Chris is the type of player that you will never be sorry you drafted him. He will improve every year and will be one of the leaders of his team. Chris is the type of player you build your defense around because of his talent and work ethic. As a player you want to play along side of Chris because he will make you better. I would not hesitate for one minute to pick Chris with the first pick in this draft because of all the intangibles that he brings with him.

Those are my top five picks and as far as I m concerned you can but them in any order that you want to. Every one of these top five players is worthy of being the first pick in this draft. The needs of my team would dictate the order.

Branden Albert OL - Brandon is an outstanding offensive lineman who can play more than one position depending on the offensive system of the team that drafts him. Brandon has the talent to play OG or OT on the left or right side of your line. Next to Jake Long, Brandon is the next best offensive lineman in this draft and will start and impact the day after you draft him.

Sedrick Ellis DL - Sedrick is a multi talented defensive lineman that can play in any style of defensive front that you use. He can be a DE in a 3/4 and on passing downs you can move him inside. He can play a penetrating DT in a 4/3 and he could play nose tackle on passing downs or be used in a slant DT position. He will never stop trying to improve and his in the box quickness and intelligence are much more developed than any other DT in this draft.

Malcolm Kelly WR - Malcolm is the best WR in this very deep class of WR s. He has the size, strength, speed, football intelligence and determination to be the best. Malcolm reminds me a lot of Terrell Owens and Eric Moulds but I believe he is faster and quicker than both of those WR s. His injuries are not a concern for me because injuries are part of the game and those injuries will not affect his overall talents. Malcolm has the abilities to impact right a way for the team that drafts him and be the focal point of a teams passing game.

Antoine Cason CB/S - Antoine is the most underrated CB in this draft who can play more than one position and be the leader of you defensive backfield. He has excellent leadership quailities to go along with his excellent playing skills. Antoine will be the leader of your DB s on your team because players respect the intelligent way he plays and the fact that for him winning is everything.

Ray Rice RB - IMO Ray is the second best RB in this draft. He reminds me of Curtis Martin RB formerly of the Jets. Because of Ray s size he is being over looked but the truth is that Ray is a powerful built back with excellent football intelligence and can play in any offensive system. Ray is a franchise RB and is a patient runner who understands how to set up his blocks and can cut and burst on a dime. He is the real deal and to suggest because of his size that he is limited is being just as short sited as those scouts and GM s who said the same thing about Curtis Martin when he was drafted as the 10th pick in the third round of the 1995 draft by the New England Patriots.

grendel (4/10/2008)
BillyWitchDoctor (4/10/2008)
Ryan, Cason, Albert, Rice & Kelly do not deserve to be listed in the top 10 IMO. And no Dorsey? This list fails.

Especially after Kelly just ran in the high 4.6's at his pro-day

Wasn't his fastest timed speed like 4.68? :crazy:

yeah well, DHall's timed speed was fantastic, but a 1 shoed Hines ward ran away from him....go figure, football is a game played on the field not in "measurables"

although Dorsey is nothing more than a great Football player and should be in the top 10 before Ryan or Rice, or Kelly, or cason

JRob215 (4/10/2008)
Philip Rivers WAS a better prospect than Matt Ryan.

thats not true. there was huge knocks on rivers arm, throwing motion and ability to be a starting nfl qb. many thought he was a system qb and many "experts" thought he would be a bust.  ryan comes from a pro offense with a better arm, throwing motion and leadership.

dan minnich (4/10/2008)
JRob215 (4/10/2008)
Philip Rivers WAS a better prospect than Matt Ryan.

thats not true. there was huge knocks on rivers arm, throwing motion and ability to be a starting nfl qb. many thought he was a system qb and many "experts" thought he would be a bust.  ryan comes from a pro offense with a better arm, throwing motion and leadership.

...and Matt Ryan comes in with 37 career INTs in only two full years as a starter. Rivers was a 4 year starter and was one of the most prolific passers in NCAA history.

IMO, Rivers was a much better prospect than Matt Ryan.

Mr. Offseason (4/10/2008)
im pretty sure rice ran under a 4.5, but thats just ridiculous.

and i think they ranked gholston over chris long too. thats a bunch of garbage as well.

Yea I think Rice had like a mid 4.4, but even then he is not a top 10 player. And Gholston over Long is laughable....