New Mock, 2 Trades, None in 1st Round

Kayoh

Round 1, Pick 1 [1 Overall]: Miami selects DE Chris Long, Virginia

-Virginia's defense is actually almost the same as the defense that Bill Parcells has always run. Chris Long played RE in that, and he'll play RE in Miami.

Round 1, Pick 2 [2 Overall]: St. Louis selects DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU

-They have two options now: Either let Carriker stay at DT and have one of the sickest pairs of DTs since HenderStroud, or move Carriker to the outside and dedicate a second DT to the run. Either way, you can't double team Leonard Little anymore.

Round 1, Pick 3 [3 Overall]: Atlanta selects OT Jake Long, Michigan

-We fill our biggest need with our best pick. Worst case scenario is that Long doesn't play up to potential at LT and we move him to RT, and then we can draft either Michael Oher or Alex Boone in 2009, both extremely good, pure left tackles that, pending a senior season implosion, will be first round picks. Best case scenario is that Jake is as good of a LT as he was his Junior & Senior years at Michigan, and we have a cornerstone to build on for the next 10-15 years.

Round 2, Pick 3 [34 Overall]: Atlanta selects C Mike Pollak, Arizona State

-Best Center in the draft. We're lucky if he makes it past St. Louis, but they have MUCH bigger needs than Center, and there are other servicable centers in this draft. It just so happens that Pollak is 300+ pounds and runs a sub-5 second 40.

Round 2, Pick 6 [37 Overall]: Atlanta selects MLB Curtis Lofton, Oklahoma

-Forget about his 40-time. He plays faster than his time on the field because his instincts are so good that he's a couple of steps ahead of everybody else before they even get a chance. The next Lofa Tatupu/DeMeco Ryans/Patrick Willis.

Round 2, Pick 17 [48 Overall]: Atlanta selects DT Trevor Laws, Notre Dame

-Fills our void at DT. He is pretty much a true 3-technique, so we'll need to draft a big guy to plug in at nose tackle, possibly even as early as round 3.

Trade down. Trade our 3rd round pick for a later 3rd round pick and an extra 4th or 5th rounder. In this mock, we'll say that we trade our 3rd(68) to the Eagles for their 3rd(80) and 4th(115)-

Round 3, Pick 17 [81 Overall]: Atlanta selects QB Josh Johnson, San Diego

-Everybody knows that I think of him. If you don't like this mock solely because of this pick, then don't leave a comment at all, I know what you're going to say. I believe that Josh Johnson has the potential to be a Hall of Fame caliber QB, and quite frankly, I don't care what you think. Matthew Pritts, yes, this is directed mostly to you.

-Trade up. Trade both of our 4th(103, 115) rounders for Pittsburgh's 3rd(88)-

Round 3, Pick 25 [88 Overall]: Atlanta selects DT Red Bryant, Texas A&M

-Bigger, Stronger, Faster version of Casey Hampton. There really isn't much more to say about him. He's got great potential, and the only question about him is the level of competition, and of course, because, you know he's a nose tackle, so his pass rush isn't as good as it would be if he were a 3-technique. Duh.

Round 3, Pick 35 [98 Overall]: Atlanta selects OG Mike McGlynn, Pittsburgh

-Extremely versatile, extremely strong, and extremely talented. Can play center, RG, or RT, so we plug him in at RG. If he thrives, then great. If not, we can move him around.

Round 5, Pick 3 [138 Overall]: Atlanta selects OLB Jordon Dizon, Colorado

-Extremely good pure tackler with incredible instincts. Led the nation in tackles with a ridiculous amount that I'm not even about to just make up on the spot, because somebody would call me out for it. He can back up Keith Brooking along with Stephen Nicholas, allowing for Nicholas to be a 3-way LB Backup, giving him more value to the team than just a WLB backup, which is what Dizon will be.

Round 6, Pick 6 [172 Overall]: Atlanta selects K Taylor Mehlhaff, Wisconsin

-Best K in this years' draft. Will be the Mason Crosby of 2008, hopefully including the Pro-Bowl invite. He's basically Morten Anderson in his prime; automatic inside 40, with the leg to kick it outside 55.

Round 7, Pick 5 [212 Overall]: Atlanta selects CB Justin Tyron, Arizona State

-No, I'm not a Sun Devil fan. I just so happen to think that Tyron has incedible potential. He doesn't get fooled by double moves, which is already an improvement over the guy that we just sent to Oakland. His biggest problem is his learning ability; he's not exactly a "student of the game" type, but he's a ridiculous athlete who, if given proper coaching and time, could develop into an extremely good, starting cover corner.

Round 7, Pick 25 [232 Overall]: Atlanta selects WR Mario Urrutia, Louisville

6'5 3/8", 232 lbs, huge, natural hands, and a nose for the endzone. Sound familiar? Well no, I'm not describing Marques Colston, I'm describing Urrutia. They're extremely similar players, and one more similar thing about them is that they'll both end up 7th round picks when all is said and done. Hopefully we pick up Urrutia to get back at those damned 'Aints and go from worst to first.

New Depth Chart

QB: Chris Redman, Joey Harrington, DJ Shockley, Josh Johnson Michael Koenen

Good mock.

I like the Jake Long, Curtis Lofton, Trevor Laws, Red Bryant, Mike McGlynn, and Jordan Dizon picks.

I know Josh Johnson has a ton of upside but I'd prefer someone like Brohm or Henne.

I don't think we need to draft a kicker this year since we gave Elam a 3 year deal.

metalfalcon (4/9/2008)
Good mock.

I like the Jake Long, Curtis Lofton, Trevor Laws, Red Bryant, Mike McGlynn, and Jordan Dizon picks.

I know Josh Johnson has a ton of upside but I'd prefer someone like Brohm or Henne.

I don't think we need to draft a kicker this year since we gave Elam a 3 year deal.

DITTO....

One announcer at the East-West Shrine game even said that Josh Johnson might be ready to play before 2009, and that he may be able to step in and start a few games in 2008. He's that NFL-ready. I'm not basing my judgment solely off of that; it'd be stupid. I'm just using that to aid the argument that Josh isn't a freaking "project".

Welcome to Atlanta (4/10/2008)
One announcer at the East-West Shrine game even said that Josh Johnson might be ready to play before 2009, and that he may be able to step in and start a few games in 2008. He's that NFL-ready. I'm not basing my judgment solely off of that; it'd be stupid. I'm just using that to aid the argument that Josh isn't a freaking "project".
Don't get me wrong I think Johnson is a good player and is likely the best "project" player at QB this year. (I consider Flacco a project also) It is not something to insult him just that for me it is hard to truly gauge his skills when the best team he faced was Dayton.  I think technique wise he is very solid but I can't judge his decision making ability or defensive reads because of the lack of talent he played against.

I guess for me it is the same thing for Matt Ryan I wouldn't have a problem with getting Johnson later in the draft with the Falcons high 4th but any higher then that makes me hesitate about taking him.  For me it isn't that I think he isn't talented but just about the value.

Round 1, Pick 3 [3 Overall]: Atlanta selects OT Jake Long, Michigan

i like this pick but not that much. personally i bet we could get the chiefs to move up for him, or maybe the jets or patriots for gholston. i wouldnt be dissapointed with this pick, but its not my favorite. i have concerns about him playing LT, that is just my opinion.

Round 2, Pick 3 [34 Overall]: Atlanta selects C Mike Pollak, Arizona State

i like the player just not the value here. he is certainly the best C in this draft, but if the rams dont draft him and the saints dont draft him he will fall a long ways. we could certainly get him at fair value at #48 if we wanted to go in that direction, imo. he might even fall to the 3rd!

Round 2, Pick 6 [37 Overall]: Atlanta selects MLB Curtis Lofton, Oklahoma

good pick, i think he would be available at #48 personally though. i dont see laws making it past new orleans, denver and cincinnati to be honest.

Round 2, Pick 17 [48 Overall]: Atlanta selects DT Trevor Laws, Notre Dame

love the player but i dont think laws will be available here. too many teams need a DT like him before this pick.

Round 3, Pick 17 [81 Overall]: Atlanta selects QB Josh Johnson, San Diego

id be fine with him at #68 but good pick none-the-less. if we dont get brohm at #34 this might be my preferred situation to getting henne or flacco in the top 48, in fact it is!

Round 3, Pick 25 [88 Overall]: Atlanta selects DT Red Bryant, Texas A&M

very good pick, i wouldnt have a problem with him at #68 either.

Round 3, Pick 35 [98 Overall]: Atlanta selects OG Mike McGlynn, Pittsburgh

good pick, good depth at OG.

Round 5, Pick 3 [138 Overall]: Atlanta selects OLB Jordon Dizon, Colorado

good pick, good value too.

Round 6, Pick 6 [172 Overall]: Atlanta selects K Taylor Mehlhaff, Wisconsin

im glad someone else likes this kid. i dont know if we will draft him because of the elam addition however, great idea though.

Round 7, Pick 5 [212 Overall]: Atlanta selects CB Justin Tyron, Arizona State

i really like this kid too, good pick and good value. i have had this guy here for a while, but i have been constantly editing my 1st and 2nd round mocks, so i havent posted one in a while.

Round 7, Pick 25 [232 Overall]: Atlanta selects WR Mario Urrutia, Louisville

good pick though hes not my favorite player. he has inconsistent hands so despite his great size, etc, he might not pan out. colston catches everything, the same cant be said for urrutia.

overall, nice mock. id adjust some things if it was me, but overall i like it.

He is a project based solely on the competition he faced. I mean Dayton? C'mon now! I think those #'s he put up are inflated b/c of that.

And just b/c an announcer says it it must be true! :w00t:

Matthew Pritts (4/10/2008)
He is a project based solely on the competition he faced. I mean Dayton? C'mon now! I think those #'s he put up are inflated b/c of that.

And just b/c an announcer says it it must be true! :w00t:

It could be worse :) He could have us taking Matt Ryan.