Miami Negotiating With Jake Long

bozoatl

Team negotiating with J. Long's agent

Jeff Darlington, of The Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins have begun contract negotiations with University of Michigan OT Jake Long's agent, Tom Condon, regarding the prospect of selecting Long with their first overall selection in the 2008 NFL Draft. The Dolphins would prefer to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, to avoid a potential holdout.

It's starting to get interesting!!!

dyoshot (4/9/2008)
They are going to be negotiating with more people than Jake Long. I expect them to call Matt Ryan as well as Chris Long to negotiate as well. Whoever agrees to the lowest deal will bea Dolphin IMHO.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter confirms that the Dolphins will not enter contract negotiations with Boston College QB Matt Ryan. :crazy:

It appears Bill Parcells and Co. have written off Ryan as a potential No. 1 selection. In other news, Ryan will be among six players invited to the NFL Draft in New York. The others are Darren McFadden, Chris and Jake Long, Vernon Gholston, and Glenn Dorsey. Sedrick Ellis was snubbed for an invite

http://www.rotoworld.com/

dozer (4/9/2008)
dyoshot (4/9/2008)
They are going to be negotiating with more people than Jake Long. I expect them to call Matt Ryan as well as Chris Long to negotiate as well. Whoever agrees to the lowest deal will bea Dolphin IMHO.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter confirms that the Dolphins will not enter contract negotiations with Boston College QB Matt Ryan. :crazy:

It appears Bill Parcells and Co. have written off Ryan as a potential No. 1 selection. In other news, Ryan will be among six players invited to the NFL Draft in New York. The others are Darren McFadden, Chris and Jake Long, Vernon Gholston, and Glenn Dorsey. Sedrick Ellis was snubbed for an invite

http://www.rotoworld.com/

Man! I guess I was wrong. This is very sad to me, because I was hoping Ryan wouldn't even be around for us to make such a dumb mistake. But again, looks like I was wrong.

bozoatl (4/9/2008)
Team negotiating with J. Long's agent

Jeff Darlington, of The Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins have begun contract negotiations with University of Michigan OT Jake Long's agent, Tom Condon, regarding the prospect of selecting Long with their first overall selection in the 2008 NFL Draft. The Dolphins would prefer to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, to avoid a potential holdout.

It's starting to get interesting!!!

hey Boz, I wouldn't put any trust in anything coming from Parcells. Wasn't he the same Parcells who made the "there are no deal breakers" comments to Mr Blank?

Parcells is a BiG liar, period.

michaelgee (4/9/2008)

hey Boz, I wouldn't put any trust in anything coming from Parcells. Wasn't he the same Parcells who made the "there are no deal breakers" comments to Mr Blank?

Parcells is a BiG liar, period.

i agree. tuna loves the spotlight and loves it even more to throw curves. i simply see it as pre-draft camouflage.

stumpjumper (4/10/2008)
I read in TATF that he also has brought in Gholston for negotiations, he must be bringing in a few guys to see if he can leverage a better deal out of whomever he wants.

I am officially turning Pacrcells down, I am not interested. Guys, this is Bill Parcells, the liar at work again. Can't anybody see this guy's routine?

He wants somebody to trade with, he is trying to force some team into offering too much to get Jake Long or Dorsey or Gholston, so he can get Matt Ryan and a second pick.

Parcells quote, "There are no deal breakers". This is the biggest liar in football, if he wanted Jake Long and already has the 1st pick, why would he be saying any of this if not as a guise for his real intentions to draft Matt Ryan and still get an extra pick?

dyoshot (4/9/2008)
They are going to be negotiating with more people than Jake Long. I expect them to call Matt Ryan as well as Chris Long to negotiate as well. Whoever agrees to the lowest deal will be a Dolphin IMHO.

You were right!  From www.profootballtalk.com:

FINS TALKING TO GHOLSTON, TOO

Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2008, 10:44 a.m.

As expected, the Miami Dolphins are talking to the agents for multiple players regarding the No. 1 overall selection in the draft.

On Wednesday, it was reported by the Miami Herald that the Fins are talking with Tom Condon of CAA regarding Michigan tackle Jake Long.  Now, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that the team is talking to another CAA agent (presumably Ben Dogra) regarding Ohio State linebacker/defensive end Vernon Gholston.

Other players who might be approached by the Dolphins include Virginia defensive end Chris Long, LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, and Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan.

As we ve previously explained, the team s apparent objective is to play one player against the other, in the hopes of doing the best possible deal.  And every player who has a chance at being the No. 1 overall pick must when assessing the offer attempt to predict where he ll go if he s not the top pick and whether he ll be paid as much or more at a lower slot than what the Dolphins are offering.

For players represented by the same agent (like Jake Long and Ryan) or the same firm (like Jake Long, Ryan, and Gholston), there s a potential conflict of interest, which the NFLPA s agent regulations have yet to address.  For every agent who fears being hammered in the industry for doing a bad deal at No. 1, there s an even bigger conflict of interest, which the NFLPA s regs likewise don t address.  Because while it might be in the player s best interests to take what he can get and be the first overall pick, it s clearly not in the interests of the agent to be associated with a deal that doesn t reflect a significant increase in the total package and guaranteed money paid last year to Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

http://apps.michigandaily.com/blogs/thegame/?p=1234

Yesterday, the Miami Herald announced that the Miami Dolphins were starting negotiations with left tackle Jake Long to make him their number one pick in the upcoming NFL Draft. Today, however, that may not be entirely the case.

It seems like the Dolphins are hedging on Long by also opening up negotiations with Ohio State defensive end and Detroit native Vernon Gholston. ESPN also reports that the Dolphins might begin negotiations with other players before deciding on who to draft, naming Virginia defensive end Chris Long and LSU s Glenn Dorsey as other possible candidates.

At the very least it seems like the Dolphins are not sure on who they re going to draft. However, it may also mean that they simply want to add pressure to Jake Long to accept less money because they could draft another player. Although Long is likely to be drafted among the top five picks in the draft, he would be the second ever Wolverine drafted first overall, coming after legendary running back Tom Harmon who was drafted first overall by the Chicago Bears in 1941.