Interesting question

1989fan brought up a great idea in the NFLDraft and Free Agency forum in a thread discussing Dennis Dixon. He would welcome the idea of drafting a Henne/Brohm/Flacco in round two(whichever one is still available) and also use a 4th-6th rounder on a potential laden prospect like Dixon/Smith/Brennen. How many of you also think this would be a wise decision? We possibly have the worst depth and potential at the most important position in football adding two of those name in later rounds could jump start a camp battle and also build a nice foundation for one to be ready to start in 09, somebody chime in...

There is nothing wrong with having depth. The thing is, its going to be hard to protect and keep 4 QB. Especially since you want to have a seasoned guy to be your starter and a seasoned guy to be your backup in 2008. Technically it could be done via the practice squad, but that does not keep another team from signing that guy.

Guest Gritz
bulldogfalcon (4/8/2008)
1989fan brought up a great idea in the NFLDraft and Free Agency forum in a thread discussing Dennis Dixon. He would welcome the idea of drafting a Henne/Brohm/Flacco in round two(whichever one is still available) and also use a 4th-6th rounder on a potential laden prospect like Dixon/Smith/Brennen. How many of you also think this would be a wise decision? We possibly have the worst depth and potential at the most important position in football adding two of those name in later rounds could jump start a camp battle and also build a nice foundation for one to be ready to start in 09, somebody chime in...

In theory that sounds fine, but realistically we have so many weak spots on this roster I don't believe we can overindulge in selections for any one position...

isproab (4/8/2008)
There is nothing wrong with having depth. The thing is, its going to be hard to protect and keep 4 QB. Especially since you want to have a seasoned guy to be your starter and a seasoned guy to be your backup in 2008. Technically it could be done via the practice squad, but that does not keep another team from signing that guy.

You obviously didn't read the subtitle, aside from that what do you not understand about 6 picks on day one.

I respect the question and the idea and I would totally entertain it if the Falcons had not resigned Redman and Harrington. Unless you're going with a "Gruden" philosophy and hoard as many QB's as possible, it's just not a good idea. You pick your QB and you stick with him and help him to develop.

i dont like the idea of drafting two quarterbacks this year, if youre looking for depth, drafting one will be plenty since we have 3 on the roster as it is. if your looking for the quarterback of the future, i dont think youre likely to find one in the 6th round with dixon or brennan and ur better off giving the 2nd rounder a shot and drafting a quarterback in next years draft. Its just more likely to find a franchise quarterback with earlier round picks.

I dont think quarterback will be an issue the upcoming season because we have other issues like the offensive line, and our inability to stop the run, and our horrendous secondary.

if it was up to me i would wait a year to really invest in a quarterback if we dont plan on drafting brohm or matt ryan.

If Kevin O'Connell is still available in Rounds 5-7, we should definately give him a serious look.  I believe he is the perfect candidate to fill that 'insurance policy' role that you describe regarding whoever our early round qb selection would be.  O'Connell is a definate developmental prospect, because of the questionable level of competition that he faced, but he has the talent to possibly start in the League, and if not for the Falcons, he could be used as "Schaub-bait" and traded away for picks/players that develop future areas of need.  This is a different angle of approaching 'value' from a draft, one that utilizes the abundance of draft picks to insure the quality of talent by not putting all your eggs in one basket.  At least worth considering.  :cool: