Rmarchma� s second mock draft of the season

rmarchma

Recap of players who have been reported to have private workouts/visits scheduled with the Atlanta Falcons through April 7 as follows:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

QB Brian Brohm, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Louisville

QB Joe Flacco, Delaware

QB Chad Henne, Michigan

QB Josh Johnson, San Diego

QB Andre Woodson, Kentucky

QB John David Booty, USC

QB Dennis Dixon, Oregon

RB Jamaal Charles, Texas

RB Matt Forte, Tulane

RB Kalvin McRae, Ohio

FB Mike Cox, Georgia Tech

WR/Returner Dexter Jackson, Appalachian State

WR Adrian Arrington, Michigan

WR Mario Urrutia, Louisville

TE John Carlson, Notre Dame

TE Brad Cottam, Tennessee

TE Martin Rucker, Missouri

TE Scott Kuhn, Louisville

OT Jake Long, Michigan

OT Jeremy Zuttah, Rutgers

OT Nate Garner, Arkansas

C Mike Pollack, Arizona State

DE Lawrence Jackson, Southern Cal

DE Cliff Avril, Purdue

DE Kendall Langford, Hampton

DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU

DT Dre Moore, Maryland

LB Dan Conner, Penn State

CB/Returner Leodis McKelvin, Troy

CB Aqib Talib, Kansas

CB Charles Godfrey, Iowa

CB Terrell Thomas, SouthernCal

CB Jack Williams, Kent State

S Tyrell Johnson, Arkansas State

Above list compiled from my following linked topic thread:

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/FORUMS/Topi....aspx#bm3377065

Based only upon players from the above listing, I have developed my second mock draft of the season. At each pick, I have indicated my preferred choice with at least one alternative player indicated, in case the preferred player is no longer available at that particular pick. I m also assuming NO trades in the following mock draft:

1. Jake Long OT (alternative: Glenn Dorsey DT)

2a. Brian Brohm QB (alternatives: Joe Flacco QB, Chad Henne QB)

2b. Dan Conner LB (alternative: Lawrence Jackson DE)

2c. Dre Moore DT (alternative: Charles Godfrey CB)

3a. Tyrell Johnson S (alternatives: Josh Johnson QB, Matt Forte RB)

3b. Dexter Jackson WR/Returner (alternative: Mike Pollack C)

4.   Jeremy Zuttah OT/OG (alternative: Brad Cottam TE)

5.   Martin Rucker TE (alternative: Kendall Langford DE/DT)

6.   Jack Williams CB (alternative: Adrian Arrington WR)

7a. Kalvin McRae RB (alternative: Mike Cox FB)

7b. Nate Garner OT (alternative: Mario Urrutia WR)

I remember last year hearing that we only had players in who we had some questions about. This practice may have changed with TD.

I believe that last year we drafted Jamaal Anderson without ever bringing him in for private workouts/interviews.

It is interesting how we can put together a good draft with only those on the radar.

Good work, and thanks for the information.

capATL (4/8/2008)
I remember last year hearing that we only had players in who we had some questions about. This practice may have changed with TD.

I believe that last year we drafted Jamaal Anderson without ever bringing him in for private workouts/interviews.

It is interesting how we can put together a good draft with only those on the radar.

You are correct, in that last year the Falcons had no reported private workout or visit with their first selection, Jamaal Anderson. However this is a new regime, and they definitely appear to be much more diligent than the previous regime in their player evaluations.  The current GM and coaching staff are working out and having private visits with a lot more players than the previous regime.

Thanks for the info, I wouldn't be upset if that scenario plays itself out somehow.  The only thing I don't want to see is us reach for a QB somehow.  Ryan at 3 is a no in my book, and jumping into the first for Brohm, Henne of Flacco seems like a reach.  But waiting til the third for Johnson or Ainge will mean it is likely to be two years before that QB sees the field.  Who knows though, I just want the draft to get here so we can spend time debating picks instead of the other nonsense that has been floating around here.  Again, nice work.

rmarchma (4/8/2008)
capATL (4/8/2008)

You are correct, in that last year the Falcons had no reported private workout or visit with their first selection, Jamaal Anderson. However this is a new regime, and they definitely appear to be much more diligent than the previous regime in their player evaluations.  The current GM and coaching staff are working out and having private visits with a lot more players than the previous regime.

That's Rich McKay's MO ... to invest huge money and opportunity without doing any kind of due diligence.

Jamaal Anderson, Bobby Petrino, Michael Vick extension... that's quite a resume for McKay

It's like sending a wire transfer to buy a ferrari for $500,000 off Ebay sight unseen, only with a lot lot lot more at stake

ucsbdirtybird (4/8/2008)
Thanks for the info, I wouldn't be upset if that scenario plays itself out somehow.  The only thing I don't want to see is us reach for a QB somehow.  Ryan at 3 is a no in my book, and jumping into the first for Brohm, Henne of Flacco seems like a reach.  But waiting til the third for Johnson or Ainge will mean it is likely to be two years before that QB sees the field.  Who knows though, I just want the draft to get here so we can spend time debating picks instead of the other nonsense that has been floating around here.  Again, nice work.

The Falcons appear to be set on drafting a QB, as they have already had private workouts/visits with the top 8 Qbs in the draft. On the other hand, they do not appear to be too locked into any one specific QB, thus keeping their options open. I think at least one of the three "second-best" rated QBs will be available with Atlanta's first pick in the second round (Brohm, Flacco, and/or Henne). I would hate to see the Falcons give up draft picks in order to move up to draft one of the QBs in the first round though, unless they had already traded down from the #3 pick. I also like Josh Johnson in the third round, as a good value QB pick.

rmarchma (4/8/2008)
ucsbdirtybird (4/8/2008)

The Falcons appear to be set on drafting a QB, as they have already had private workouts/visits with the top 8 Qbs in the draft. On the other hand, they do not appear to be too locked into any one specific QB, thus keeping their options open. I think at least one of the three "second-best" rated QBs will be available with Atlanta's first pick in the second round (Brohm, Flacco, and/or Henne). I would hate to see the Falcons give up draft picks in order to move up to draft one of the QBs in the first round though, unless they had already traded down from the #3 pick. I also like Josh Johnson in the third round, as a good value QB pick.

Agreed, although I am torn between wanting value at each of our picks, and fearing that we won't have a QB on the roster in a year who is capable of jumping in and starting (you know, when we actually try and make a playoff run).  I like Josh Johnson, I saw him play in person about 5 months ago and I was impressed.  He played against some pretty terrible competition though, so I wonder how his success will translate.  I hope it is just a longer learning curve as opposed to a failure to grasp concepts. 

ucsbdirtybird (4/8/2008)
rmarchma (4/8/2008)
ucsbdirtybird (4/8/2008)

Agreed, although I am torn between wanting value at each of our picks, and fearing that we won't have a QB on the roster in a year who is capable of jumping in and starting (you know, when we actually try and make a playoff run).  I like Josh Johnson, I saw him play in person about 5 months ago and I was impressed.  He played against some pretty terrible competition though, so I wonder how his success will translate.  I hope it is just a longer learning curve as opposed to a failure to grasp concepts. 

I think that Ryan and possibly Brohm could start toward the end of their first season in the NFL. I believe Henne, Flacco, and Josh Johnson should all be able to start at some point during their second seasons.

Need to add two more players to the Falcons private workout/visit list as follows:

08<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Apr 08

6:05 PM

Graduated WR Eddie Royal was at Monday's practice. He said he'd recently worked out for the Washington Redskins and is scheduled for another workout soon for the Atlanta Falcons.

(Updated April 8)

Brandon Miller ,LB, Georgia,  is visiting with the Falcons today and will travel to New Jersey next week to meet with the Giants, and then down to  Jacksonville to meet with the Jaguars.

http://www.football.com/nflheadlines/nfl_p...ut_updates.html

rmarchma (4/8/2008)
ucsbdirtybird (4/8/2008)
Thanks for the info, I wouldn't be upset if that scenario plays itself out somehow. The only thing I don't want to see is us reach for a QB somehow. Ryan at 3 is a no in my book, and jumping into the first for Brohm, Henne of Flacco seems like a reach. But waiting til the third for Johnson or Ainge will mean it is likely to be two years before that QB sees the field. Who knows though, I just want the draft to get here so we can spend time debating picks instead of the other nonsense that has been floating around here. Again, nice work.

The Falcons also looked at Paul Smith.

I like your mock though I would prefer your alternatives in most rounds.

Acquiring Avril would really show that this FO is firing on all cylinders.

The type of guy Mike Smith likes ... someone that can play more than one position ... and both DE and OLB are thin right now. He is a poor man's Vernon Gholston.

I also like the Ga Tech Fullback ... with our last pick or as a UDFA.

Excellent mock IMO!! Lets hope it goes that way. Some on this board think we need 3-4 OL which is crazy!! Your mock really addresses need areas with good prospects. What we don't know is how the players grade out on the character meter!!

magnus23 (4/9/2008)
rmarchma (4/8/2008)
ucsbdirtybird (4/8/2008)
Thanks for the info, I wouldn't be upset if that scenario plays itself out somehow. The only thing I don't want to see is us reach for a QB somehow. Ryan at 3 is a no in my book, and jumping into the first for Brohm, Henne of Flacco seems like a reach. But waiting til the third for Johnson or Ainge will mean it is likely to be two years before that QB sees the field. Who knows though, I just want the draft to get here so we can spend time debating picks instead of the other nonsense that has been floating around here. Again, nice work.

The Falcons also looked at Paul Smith.

I like your mock though I would prefer your alternatives in most rounds.

Acquiring Avril would really show that this FO is firing on all cylinders.

The type of guy Mike Smith likes ... someone that can play more than one position ... and both DE and OLB are thin right now. He is a poor man's Vernon Gholston.

I also like the Ga Tech Fullback ... with our last pick or as a UDFA.

You are correct about QB Paul Smith. I completely missed this one in my Recap topic thread detailing players that the Falcons had expressed an interest in. I just found a link where it was reported that Atlanta scheduled a private workout with Paul Smith as follows:

02/21 Live From the Combine:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

A number of teams are already setting up post-combine visits with <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Tulsa quarterback Paul Smith. The Atlanta Falcons are making preparations to bring Smith in for a personal workout and the Chicago Bears are also attempting to set one up.

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=62

Thanks for the heads-up. That now makes 9 QBs that Atlanta has scheduled for private workouts/visits.

mcride (4/9/2008)
I heard the OT from Boston College on Sirius last Night, and he is supposed to be coming for a visit in the next couple of weeks. You can add him to your list. SOunds like he may go in the late first round though.

Thanks for the heads-up on a possible visit from BC's OT Gosder Cherilus. I know that Atlanta is reported to like him, but I have yet to see any private workout/visit scheduled for Cherilus. From a USA today article as follows:

2. Right offensive tackle: Both tackle spots need to be replenished but some stability needs to be added to the right side. Veteran Todd Weiner had major knee surgery and his availability is in question. The Falcons re-signed ERFA Tyson Clabo, who has shown he is capable of starting, but he isn't projected to be a long-term anchor. Atlanta likes Boston College's Gosder Cherilus but he is surging a little on some draft boards and might get into the first round, which could put him out of Atlanta's reach unless it trades up to get him.

spiker (4/9/2008)
Excellent mock IMO!! Lets hope it goes that way. Some on this board think we need 3-4 OL which is crazy!! Your mock really addresses need areas with good prospects. What we don't know is how the players grade out on the character meter!!

Thanks. I would think that those players who the Falcons schedule for a private workout/visit have already passed the "character meter" test.