Question for Mac users

I have a question for all the Mac fans out there. This is just curiosity on my part. Not trying to start a war or anything. How many of you who use a Mac run Parallels on it? If you do use Parallels, how often do you use it? As I said, I'm just curious. Thanks in advance.

Open Source (4/8/2008)
I have a question for all the Mac fans out there. This is just curiosity on my part. Not trying to start a war or anything. How many of you who use a Mac run Parallels on it? If you do use Parallels, how often do you use it? As I said, I'm just curious. Thanks in advance.

By "Parallels" I guess you mean run Windows side-by-side? I don't have one myself, but I know 10 who do:

One of them uses a parallel Windows instance and the other does not.

Open Source (4/8/2008)

Mac??? I would have thought you were more of a Linux type guy ;)

silentbob1272 (4/8/2008)
Open Source (4/8/2008)

Yea, I read it back and realized...completely obvious and lame joke.....apologies to everyone who had to read that....pitiful

silentbob1272 (4/8/2008)
silentbob1272 (4/8/2008)
Open Source (4/8/2008)

Yea, I read it back and realized...completely obvious and lame joke.....apologies to everyone who had to read that....pitiful

LOL! Oh, I enjoyed it, and you were correct, I am a Linux type guy. Well Linux and Windows (sometimes you just have to be on the same system as everyone else). I'm just more curious who uses Parallels with their Mac. For the person who asked, I did mean the Microsoft OS feature for Mac. I'm just trying to figure out who uses it, and why they would use it. I'm assuming now that Mac's use Intel their shouldn't be much if any need for it, but I'm just curious whose doing what.

Guest stewie

I am a "Mac person", but I do not run parallels. I was PC for most of my life, but got a mac at work and really liked using it. I was in the market for a new laptop a couple of years ago and decided to go with the Mac for the sole reason that I could run parallels and still use PC applications. However, since that time, I have had no need to run anything PC...everything I need I can find in mac based programs.

stewie (4/8/2008)
I am a "Mac person", but I do not run parallels. I was PC for most of my life, but got a mac at work and really liked using it. I was in the market for a new laptop a couple of years ago and decided to go with the Mac for the sole reason that I could run parallels and still use PC applications. However, since that time, I have had no need to run anything PC...everything I need I can find in mac based programs.

Interesting. Do you play games on it?

Guest stewie

No...thats the one thing I have given up. I was a HUGE PC game person, but bought an XBox 360 and switched to playing on that. I got tired of having to upgrade my machine every 6 months keep up with technology.

I do regret this decision, however, when I see games like Crysis. I would love to take a run at that game!

stewie (4/8/2008)
No...thats the one thing I have given up. I was a HUGE PC game person, but bought an XBox 360 and switched to playing on that. I got tired of having to upgrade my machine every 6 months keep up with technology.

I do regret this decision, however, when I see games like Crysis. I would love to take a run at that game!

Cool, I was curious how you gamed if you were a gamer, but that makes sense. I'm a consoler gamer myself, so I'm not really affected by that either. Can you not use Parallels to run a windows session to play Crysis. Why did you have to upgrade your machine every six months? I'm assuming that was for increased game requirements?

Guest stewie
Open Source (4/8/2008)

Cool, I was curious how you gamed if you were a gamer, but that makes sense. I'm a consoler gamer myself, so I'm not really affected by that either. Can you not use Parallels to run a windows session to play Crysis. Why did you have to upgrade your machine every six months? I'm assuming that was for increased game requirements?

That may have been an overstatement, but it seemed like during the end of my PC gaming days, I was upgrading video cards or memory on a frequent basis. I am sure it just seemed that way, but I remember when Battlefield 2 came out, I spent another $300 or so just to get more memory and a new video card to run it. And even then it did not run it well.

I could use parallels to run those games on MAC. I have actually heard of people doing that pretty successfully. However, I just made the clean break to console gaming and haven't looked back. My computer now is used for work and hobbies such as graphic design and music, while I do my gaming on my 360.

origin8502 (4/8/2008)
Open Source (4/8/2008)

By "Parallels" I guess you mean run Windows side-by-side? I don't have one myself, but I know 10 who do:

One of them uses a parallel Windows instance and the other does not.

Best response award.  :D