NAACP wants probe into bandit sentences

atlvicktim08

LINK

MARIETTA, Ga. - The head of the Georgia NAACP called for the state to investigate the sentences given in the so-called "Barbie bandits" bank theft case, saying the two white defendants got less prison time than two black men.

Edward DuBose said Monday he will ask state Attorney General Thurbert Baker to look into the case. Baker's office did not immediately respond to a call seeking comment Tuesday.

Last month, Cobb County Superior Court Judge Mary Staley sentenced 20-year-old Heather Johnston to 10 years probation after she pleaded guilty to a charge of theft by taking in the 2007 heist. The judge gave 19-year-old Ashley Miller two years in jail and eight years probation. Both women are white.

Michael Chastang, 28, was sentenced to 10 years for being the mastermind of the robbery, and bank teller Bennie Allen III, 23, who pleaded guilty, was sentenced to five years. Both men are black. Chastang also is serving 15 years on unrelated drug-trafficking charges and Allen was on probation for a drug conviction.

Johnston and Miller both former exotic dancers who went by the stage names "Charlie" and "Adrienne" were nicknamed the "Barbie bandits" after they were videotaped wearing sunglasses and laughing as they appeared to rob a Bank of America branch in Acworth of $11,000.

'I can sort of understand the sentences of the two guys because they had priors but the two women getting just 10 months probation and two years jail/eight months probation in relation to what the men got, that's stretching it. I thought that when you rob a bank especially make out with $11,000 dollars, you're getting 5 years jail time at least, and that's if you have a clean record. I don't know about this one. I know they're young but I don't know I just doesnt look likt it's apportioned right even though the men had priors. Maybe it's just me.'

On another front when have women involved in crimes EVER gotten as much time as men?

Rapist teachers..anyone?

Yea, they got off light, but women usually do and people with no priors will get less time that people with priors.

The NAACP should go find someone innocent to defend and quit crawling in bed with criminals.

pencilpusher (4/8/2008)
On another front when have women involved in crimes EVER gotten as much time as men?

Rapist teachers..anyone?

Yea, they got off light, but women usually do and people with no priors will get less time that people with priors.

The NAACP should go find someone innocent to defend and quit crawling in bed with criminals.

Two wrongs don't make a right...regardless of what has always (and continues) to happen, that doesn't mean you just say "oh well, that's what always happen".

Besides, the whole "mastermind" theory of why the "Barbies" got off lightly is enough to warrant some scrutiny.

july425 (4/8/2008)
Two wrongs don't make a right...regardless of what has always (and continues) to happen, that doesn't mean you just say "oh well, that's what always happen".

Besides, the whole "mastermind" theory of why the "Barbies" got off lightly is enough to warrant some scrutiny.

What about the "they didn't have prior records and he did" theory?

JDaveG (4/8/2008)
july425 (4/8/2008)

What about the "they didn't have prior records and he did" theory?

I dont have a problem with a person with a prior record getting more time, I have a problem with this fabrication that this guy is some sort of magical pimp that brainwashed two little naive girls into doing his bidding. They're grown azz women, they're not "Barbies".

july425 (4/8/2008)
I dont have a problem with a person with a prior record getting more time, I have a problem with this fabrication that this guy is some sort of magical pimp that brainwashed two little naive girls into doing his bidding. They're grown azz women, they're not "Barbies".

I agree with that.  The problem I have is people trying to pretend that the only difference is that he was black and they were white.  A lot of things go into the sentencing.

IOW, I'm not saying it was necessarily fair, but I don't think the argument that the black guy got hosed because he's black carries water, either.

I think the brothers got just punishment and the girls got off light as ****.

Both of those hoochies should be doing 5 years with no early release; I don't give a s##t about 'first offense'.   Bank robbery is not like shoplifting or burglary; it's a federal crime.

JDaveG (4/8/2008)
july425 (4/8/2008)

I agree with that.  The problem I have is people trying to pretend that the only difference is that he was black and they were white.  A lot of things go into the sentencing.

IOW, I'm not saying it was necessarily fair, but I don't think the argument that the black guy got hosed because he's black carries water, either.

I think the way the D.A. and the judge characterized it probably is why there is that kind of anger though. Mastermind? They were sitting around getting high and decided to rob a bank. But the way it was described, you would have thought this guy was some sort of Manson/Jim Jones type that had mind control over two innocent victims. If the guy was white and that's the same picture painted by the prosecutors, I would believe his family would be mad as **** too. Yeah he did wrong, but ****..he didn't force them do it.

octoslash (4/8/2008)

Both of those hoochies should be doing 5 years with no early release; I don't give a s##t about 'first offense'. Bank robbery is not like shoplifting or burglary; it's a federal crime.

QFT

octoslash (4/8/2008)

Both of those hoochies should be doing 5 years with no early release; I don't give a s##t about 'first offense'.   Bank robbery is not like shoplifting or burglary; it's a federal crime.

I thought it was automatically a federal offense too, but weren't they prosecuted only by the state? They were sentenced by a Cobb County Superior Court Judge. I thought when a crime involved a bank, it was federal jurisdiction only , but guess not.

july425 (4/8/2008)
I think the way the D.A. and the judge characterized it probably is why there is that kind of anger though. Mastermind? They were sitting around getting high and decided to rob a bank. But the way it was described, you would have thought this guy was some sort of Manson/Jim Jonestype that had mind control over two innocent victims. If the guy was white and that's the same picture painted by the prosecutors, I would believe his family would be mad as **** too. Yeah he did wrong, but ****..he didn't force them do it.

I don't think that's what it implies at all. He worked at the bank, did he not? They could not have done it without him. So if he figured out how to do it, he was the "mastermind" behind the plot.

I agree that's a bit sensationalistic, but I don't think that makes the girls automatons. It just means they couldn't have done it without him figuring out how to do it.

JDaveG (4/8/2008)
july425 (4/8/2008)
I think the way the D.A. and the judge characterized it probably is why there is that kind of anger though. Mastermind? They were sitting around getting high and decided to rob a bank. But the way it was described, you would have thought this guy was some sort of Manson/Jim Jonestype that had mind control over two innocent victims. If the guy was white and that's the same picture painted by the prosecutors, I would believe his family would be mad as **** too. Yeah he did wrong, but ****..he didn't force them do it.

I don't think that's what it implies at all. He worked at the bank, did he not? They could not have done it without him. So if he figured out how to do it, he was the "mastermind" behind the plot.

I agree that's a bit sensationalistic, but I don't think that makes the girls automatons. It just means they couldn't have done it without him figuring out how to do it.

No, the guy that received the most time and was called the "mastermind" was not the one that worked at the bank, http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,341552,00.html

According to the Bank Robbery Act of 1934:

The act makes it a "federal offense for anyone to take or attempt to take by force and violence or intimidation anything of value belonging to one of the protected institutions, or anything that is in one of the protected institution's care, custody, control, management, or possession (§ 2113(a)). "

I suppose what these fools did would not be considered violent considering the fact that the teller was in on it, so it was actually not 'bank robbery'.  I stand corrected on that but I still think those two bimbos should be punished more in line with the way, say, I WOULD BE.  Alas, I wasn't born an attractive female, so I shouldn't embark on a life of crime for fear of actually having to suffer the consequences.