Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jp7833

Josh Johnson

99 posts in this topic

Just what have Henne done to be ranked so high.

1st round

1. brohm - he been #1 the past two season.

2. woodson - forget the senior bowl and look at his entire college body of work.

3. ryan - good final season, calm in the pocket

2nd round

1. Johnson - accuracy and TD to INT, mobile

2. Henne - Good SR. bowl

3. Flacco -  excellent phys tools

3rd round

1. Booty - solid with big game exp.

2. Dixon - was a least a 2nd rounder before injury

3. Smith - this guy could be a sleeper

Matthew Pritts (4/8/2008)
falconfansince66 (4/8/2008)
Matthew Pritts (4/8/2008)We need someone who is ready to start right away if neccessary.

Good luck finding a starter in this draft (and next year's draft).  And you thought I was the stupid one....:hehe:

The last thing I'm saying to you is that this is an underrated QB draft w/2 franchise guys in HEnne and Brohm, and possibly 3 if Flacco works out.

IT's been misevaluated by the pundits b/c of their overrating of Ryan.

Now I'm done w/this thread.

How can a shotgun QB (Brohm and Flacco) be a franchise guy?

rollow lawson (4/8/2008)
He's a project moreso b/c of the level of competition he played against in 1-AA.

The competition jump from that to the NFL is astronomical.

It's funny how Flacco is never labeled as a project.  Didn't he play 1-AA competition too?

I consider Flacco a project too from that standpoint. But he has much better physical tools and a higher ceiling then Johnson.

You just said earlier in this topic that Flacco was a project, now he's a franchise QB?? What a clown!!!! LMAO!!!

You don't know what you're talkin about from one post to the next....Consider this you being officially PWNED and discredited. You now need to ask permission before posting anything else for fear you may embarrass yourself further!

aveboogie2 (4/8/2008)
Matthew Pritts (4/8/2008)We need someone who is ready to start right away if neccessary.

Good luck finding a starter in this draft (and next year's draft).  And you thought I was the stupid one....:hehe:

The last thing I'm saying to you is that this is an underrated QB draft w/2 franchise guys in HEnne and Brohm, and possibly 3 if Flacco works out.

rollow lawson (4/8/2008)
He's a project moreso b/c of the level of competition he played against in 1-AA.

It's funny how Flacco is never labeled as a project.  Didn't he play 1-AA competition too?

I consider Flacco a project too from that standpoint. But he has much better physical tools and a higher ceiling then Johnson.

You just said earlier in this topic that Flacco was a project, now he's a franchise QB?? What a clown!!!! LMAO!!!

You don't know what you're talkin about from one post to the next....Consider this you being officially PWNED and discredited. You now need to ask permission before posting anything else for fear you may embarrass yourself further!

You just used the term "PWNED." You are the one that should be embarrassed.

ForceFan27 (4/8/2008)

Exactly.

I think we could be brothers.

ForceFan27 (4/8/2008)
ForceFan27 (4/8/2008)

Exactly.

:laugh: Maybe. I'm just more aggressive in putting my opinions out there.

And you never say PWNED or OWNED w/in your own post. That's up to other posters to decide.

Jp7833 (4/8/2008)
Bump. and nice sig Pritts.
Thanks.

Stafford fan, too, eh?

Actually, I added on to it. Ms. Nettles is now included.

ForceFan27 (4/8/2008)
aveboogie2 (4/8/2008)

Good luck findinga starterin this draft (and next year's draft). And you thought I was the stupid one....:hehe:

rollow lawson (4/8/2008)

It's funny how Flacco is never labeled as a project. Didn't he play 1-AA competition too?

Really? I should be embarrassed, yet you're the grown man obsessed with The Hobbit????

ForceFan27 (4/8/2008)
ForceFan27 (4/8/2008)

Exactly.

:laugh: Maybe. I'm just more aggressive in putting my opinions out there.

And you never say PWNED or OWNED w/in your own post. That's up to other posters to decide.

LOL...WTF?? Is this internet message board etiquette??

By the way, you still have yet to explain your flip flopping.

rollow lawson (4/8/2008)
Jp7833 (4/8/2008)
More and more I see more people jumping on the JJ band wagon. I wanted to know why people see that he is so great or think that he is going to be great. I've watched his highlights, they are impressive but you have to think he is throwing against kids who wouldnt have made it onto most of our high school teams. Anyways, I would really appreciate if people could give me ground evidence of why they think JJ is one of the best prospects at QB in the draft. Dont just say "He is the future!" thats not a real answer.

The thing that has me most intrigued is the 43td to 1 int ratio. Accuracy is accuracy, be it at D1, DII, DIII school, or at skeet shooting.Also keep in mind he was not just throwing against lower level competition. He was working with lesser talent on his side too. It's not like he had USC caliber athletes while going up against a DIII school. The playing field was level. I think he was just the only one that didn't belong their. Keep in mind that he is a superior athlete that was recruited by some DI schools, albeit to play a different position. Remember a rbcame out of New Orleansin 1990. All the top schools wanted to switch him todefense (Miami included). Hechose San Diego State, got cheated out of the Heisman, went to the pros, set records, won a SB, and is now waiting on his call from Canton. All this at his true positionof RB. Does Marshall Faulk ring a bell.

Very true...

Also at the Senior Bowl (at least I think it was the Senior Bowl?), he was easily the most impressive football player on the field during that game. He was a man among boys for at least that one game...

Your probably thinking East-West Shrine Game. The thing that excites me when seeing JJ is that he is definately a pass first QB, which we attempted to turn MV into for his whole career. If we can get a pass first QB who is athletic enough to make yardage on the ground then we should and then he can hopefully progress into a good QB. His main negative at this time is his weight, he will definately need to put on some muscle to play in the NFL but this is probably one of the easiest things to do!!

I hope JJ can reach his potential be it with the Falcons or not because he is a good person off the field aswell (as far as we know anyway).

rollow lawson (4/8/2008)
Jp7833 (4/8/2008)
More and more I see more people jumping on the JJ band wagon. I wanted to know why people see that he is so great or think that he is going to be great. I've watched his highlights, they are impressive but you have to think he is throwing against kids who wouldnt have made it onto most of our high school teams. Anyways, I would really appreciate if people could give me ground evidence of why they think JJ is one of the best prospects at QB in the draft. Dont just say "He is the future!" thats not a real answer.

The thing that has me most intrigued is the 43td to 1 int ratio.  Accuracy is accuracy, be it at D1, DII, DIII school, or at skeet shooting. Also keep in mind he was not just throwing against lower level competition.  He was working with lesser talent on his side too.  It's not like he had USC caliber athletes while going up against a DIII school.  The playing field was level. I think he was just the only one that didn't belong their. Keep in mind that he is a superior athlete that was recruited by some DI schools, albeit to play a different position.  Remember a rb came out of New Orleans in 1990.  All the top schools wanted to switch him to defense (Miami included).  He chose San Diego State, got cheated out of the Heisman, went to the pros, set records, won a SB, and is now waiting on his call from Canton.  All this at his true position of RB.  Does Marshall Faulk ring a bell. 

#####in right my man

A lot of people don't know this but Atlanta's scouts went to Cali for a private work out with Josh Johnson and John David Booty, which means we're clearly looking for a late pick QB with the ability to make an impact within a season or two, also their has been some indication that the Buccaneers may really want Josh Johnson due the fact that Doug Williams is a part of their organization and has co-signed off on Johnson with a great amount of confidence...Lastly: Whether people accept it or not, Johnson is waaaaaaayyy more "pro-ready" than people think and will get his chance at becoming a Franchise QB probably sooner than later....43-1 Touchdown to Interception ratio is unheard of regardless of what level of competition, his mobility is only "icing on the cake"...i hope we get 'em maybe we will maybe we won't but his chances of being a star QB in the near future are just as high as any QB in this years Draft.

ForceFan27 (4/8/2008)
I think he will be awesome because of his bromance withJT.

bromance? look bra i have to admit maybe i was making too many post about johnson but if you think of it in the end i completed my goal of making more people like this QB, so you can talk about me all you want and you can be mad that alot of people like johnson and started noticing him more now and i would like to thank myself plus others that realizes his talents, point made.

Oh and one more thing: I'm sure a lot of people never thought David Garrad would be a starter in this league and probably Romo and Derrick Anderson at some point in time too but the league is changing and passion and work-ethic and dedication can turn an average QB into a Super Bowl champ just ask Mr. Brady...

JT (4/8/2008)
ForceFan27 (4/8/2008)
I think he will be awesome because of his bromance withJT.

bromance? look bra i have to admit maybe i was making too many post about johnson but if you think of it in the end i completed my goal of making more people like this QB, so you can talk about me all you want and you can be mad that alot of people like johnson and started noticing him more now and i would like to thank myself plus others that realizes his talents, point made.

As long as Mattryanfan doesnt follow in your footsteps like he has been recently, it will all be ok.

Jp7833 (4/8/2008)

Why is Joe Flacco's stock higher than Matt Flynn?

Matt Flynn faced SEC competition.

Why did Lebron James get drafted so high, he was dunking on Catholic School boys?

Reason is because players are drafted on perceived upside and skills that will translate to the next level.

Josh Johnson has great mechanics and accuracy that translate on any level of football. Difference between pros and cupcake defenses in college is speed of game and separation of WRs and DBs.

Well Josh Johnson puts the ball on the money where only his receivers can get the ball anway. ANd as far as speed, the guy will be a top 2 QB in terms of athleticism from day one. He's also been mentally prepared to play in a pro style offense and make pro style reads before and after the snap and complete timing based routes which should shorten the learning curve even more

The bottomline is that he's being hated on because he's a dual threat QB.

Joe Flacco is far more of a project at this point but no pundit has a problem campaigning him for a 2nd round pick

birdweiserrr (4/8/2008)
He reminds many of them of Vick. I don't think there's a chance we draft Johnson, but that's just my opinion.

IF HE REMINDS YOU OF VICK ...... THEN WE KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF HIM ....:)

busboyisback (4/8/2008)Why is Joe Flacco's stock higher than Matt Flynn?

Why did Lebron James get drafted so high, he was dunking on Catholic School boys?

Reason is because players are drafted on perceived upside and skills that will translate to the next level.

Josh Johnson has great mechanics and accuracy that translate on any level of football. Difference between pros and cupcake defenses in college is speed of game and separation of WRs and DBs.

Well Josh Johnson puts the ball on the money where only his receivers can get the ball anway. ANd as far as speed, the guy will be a top 2 QB in terms of athleticism from day one. He's also been mentally prepared to play in a pro style offense and make pro style reads before and after the snap and complete timing based routes which should shorten the learning curve even more

Joe Flacco is far more of a project at this point but no pundit has a problem campaigning him for a 2nd round pick

I don't disagree that he is a talented QB with good upside and I agree about Flacco as I am not really that high on him. 

I don't dislike Johnson because he is a dual threat QB as I see that as a plus more then anything else but I do have a problem with him.

The main thing that I don't like about him is his competition and value, just like I don't think Matt Ryan is worth the third overall pick I think Johnson is to much of a risk to use a 2nd rounders on.  Throwing a great pass against teams like Dayton or Drake are completely different from throwing great passes against Ohio State, USC, LSU, or Oklahoma.  A pass that would be a completion in D II could easily be an INT against top tier CBs.  This is not to say Johnson is really a bad decision maker or really doesn't have the talent his stats show but that we really don't know and his risk factor goes up.  (this also applies to Flacco)

This arguement is just to say I don't think the Falcons can really afford to take either a 2nd or high 3rd round pick when your best QB is a guy who was selling insurance a year ago the team likely doesn't have much room to take a risk on the most important position of the offense.  I think Johnson could develop in a year but I also could see him taking two or three years to develop into the QB many of his backers expect him.  I also think there are QBs that are better value with good upside like Kevin O'Connell, Dennis Dixon, Paul Smith or Sam Keller for where they are projected to go.

Overall I think Josh Johnson is a good prospect that could develop into a Randall Cunningham or better (please don't say it is racial because it has nothing to do with that) but I don't want to use a 2nd rounder on someone that is difficult to project because of his lack of playing any real competition and that goes for Flacco to.

Draft Crazy (4/9/2008)
busboyisback (4/8/2008)Why is Joe Flacco's stock higher than Matt Flynn?

I don't disagree that he is a talented QB with good upside and I agree about Flacco as I am not really that high on him. 

I don't dislike Johnson because he is a dual threat QB as I see that as a plus more then anything else but I do have a problem with him.

The main thing that I don't like about him is his competition and value, just like I don't think Matt Ryan is worth the third overall pick I think Johnson is to much of a risk to use a 2nd rounders on.  Throwing a great pass against teams like Dayton or Drake are completely different from throwing great passes against Ohio State, USC, LSU, or Oklahoma.  A pass that would be a completion in D II could easily be an INT against top tier CBs.  This is not to say Johnson is really a bad decision maker or really doesn't have the talent his stats show but that we really don't know and his risk factor goes up.  (this also applies to Flacco)

This arguement is just to say I don't think the Falcons can really afford to take either a 2nd or high 3rd round pick when your best QB is a guy who was selling insurance a year ago the team likely doesn't have much room to take a risk on the most important position of the offense.  I think Johnson could develop in a year but I also could see him taking two or three years to develop into the QB many of his backers expect him.  I also think there are QBs that are better value with good upside like Kevin O'Connell, Dennis Dixon, Paul Smith or Sam Keller for where they are projected to go.

Overall I think Josh Johnson is a good prospect that could develop into a Randall Cunningham or better (please don't say it is racial because it has nothing to do with that) but I don't want to use a 2nd rounder on someone that is difficult to project because of his lack of playing any real competition and that goes for Flacco to.

doug williams played at grambling but got drafted in the first rd-he led the sinking bucs to 3 consecutive playoffs and the red skins to a sb win . jerry rice played at mississippi valley state but he also got drafted in the 1st rd-he have a load of sb rings. so tell us sir, are doug and jerry projects to?  what rd should they have been drafted at since they both played at smaller schools? i'll wait for your answer.

Regarding the QBs in this year's draft:

They are who we think they are!  They're projects at best.  If you think you know surefire starters in the bunch, then if you want to crown them then crown their @sses!  But they are who we think they are..... PROJECTS!

everybody really should shutup. QB is the hardest position to scout and none of us knows enough to make judgements. It doesn't matter what school you played at if you can play you play.

JJ did what a good QB should to div II talent with div II talent. There are some QBs that can't play without pro-level talent so we can't use that as an argument against him. There are plenty of div II players with SB rings or who have played in the big game.

None of us are scouts, GMs, or draft experts..., **** even they get it wrong.

Ryan leaf

joey harrington

michael jenkins

etc.

matt_jennifer (4/8/2008)
How was it against kids that could not be in a high school team?  He played ion division II same division that has App. State, and Deleware.  He was the MVP of the East-West Shrine game.  That is against Division I athletes.  He has very good mechanics and has very quick feet while dropping back from center.  He makes good decisions with the ball.  The 43 tds to 1 int is not because of lesser competition it is because he does not put the pass in an area to get picked.  The kid is a real deal and don't be surprised if he is a frist day pick because of his mechanics and athletic ability and smarts.

Ok -- if we have to define "project", the you have to define "real deal".  A "project", to me, is someone who will need an awful lot of work at the NFL level before he starts a game.