Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jp7833

Josh Johnson

99 posts in this topic

rollow lawson (4/8/2008)
Jp7833 (4/8/2008)
More and more I see more people jumping on the JJ band wagon. I wanted to know why people see that he is so great or think that he is going to be great. I've watched his highlights, they are impressive but you have to think he is throwing against kids who wouldnt have made it onto most of our high school teams. Anyways, I would really appreciate if people could give me ground evidence of why they think JJ is one of the best prospects at QB in the draft. Dont just say "He is the future!" thats not a real answer.

The thing that has me most intrigued is the 43td to 1 int ratio. Accuracy is accuracy, be it at D1, DII, DIII school, or at skeet shooting.Also keep in mind he was not just throwing against lower level competition. He was working with lesser talent on his side too. It's not like he had USC caliber athletes while going up against a DIII school. The playing field was level. I think he was just the only one that didn't belong their. Keep in mind that he is a superior athlete that was recruited by some DI schools, albeit to play a different position. Remember a rbcame out of New Orleansin 1990. All the top schools wanted to switch him todefense (Miami included). Hechose San Diego State, got cheated out of the Heisman, went to the pros, set records, won a SB, and is now waiting on his call from Canton. All this at his true positionof RB. Does Marshall Faulk ring a bell.

That is not the same and Accuracy isnt accuracy on all levels. In the NFL you have to be able to complete and accuracte pass with a 300 lbs linemen holding on to you while your man who runs a 4.3 is cutting for the side line and you having to anticipate the break of his route. That is much different than throwing a post route against Polytech. And your marshal comparison isnt the same because he went on to play at a Div 1 school (San Diego State is Div 1). Also running back is an easier position to translate over from college to NFL. I might say its one of the easiest. Qb is the hardest. The learning curve is quite different. I like JJ dont get me wrong but people like him and Flacco are PROJECTS. I will be GREATLY surprised if they are day 1 starters. I am sorry. I played DII football and i played against DI guys playing semi pro. And the 3rd string RB on a DivI team would probably lead the league in rushing at a DivII school. One of the best running backs i ever seen couldnt sniff the field at Penn State behind Curtis Enis.

If TD drafts Johnson, let alone on the 1st day, he deserves to be fired on the spot.

You don't draft projects on the first day.

matt_jennifer (4/8/2008)
cocktailcove (4/8/2008)
Just watched the combine tap on him.  If anyone told me they wanted this guy I would smack then on the forhead and say "wasn't Vick great". 

4.55 whatever

passes underthrown and NOT ONE SPIRAL lol

vert 33....Brohm beat that

long jump 9.2.....I beat that.....in 8th grade.

I wouldnt sign this guy as an undrafted free agent. 

You need to smack yourself.  Look at the East-West Shrine game and practice he was the MVP of the game against DI players.  In case you don't believe me here is the practice tape from that game for you.

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/draftguys...b?autoplay=true

Just watched him throw passes to wide open recievers with no action in front of him.

HE UNDERTHREW THEM AND AGAIN...... NOT A SINGLE SPIRAL. Not One! lol die

Matthew Pritts (4/8/2008)
rollow lawson (4/8/2008)
He's a project moreso b/c of the level of competition he played against in 1-AA.

The competition jump from that to the NFL is astronomical.

It's funny how Flacco is never labeled as a project.  Didn't he play 1-AA competition too?

I consider Flacco a project too from that standpoint. But he has much better physical tools and a higher ceiling then Johnson.

Flacco is more the "prototypical" NFL type QB. Fair? Maybe not. But I would take him over JJ, which, may be a huge mistake. I'm just a fan going on what I see on TV, hear on the radio, and read in the paper. But, I think that 99% of all NFL office folks would take Flacco before JJ. Believe it.

If TD drafts Johnson, let alone on the 1st day, he deserves to be fired on the spot.

well matt ryan definatly shouldnt be drafted..

cocktailcove (4/8/2008)
matt_jennifer (4/8/2008)
cocktailcove (4/8/2008)
Just watched the combine tap on him.  If anyone told me they wanted this guy I would smack then on the forhead and say "wasn't Vick great". 

4.55 whatever

You need to smack yourself.  Look at the East-West Shrine game and practice he was the MVP of the game against DI players.  In case you don't believe me here is the practice tape from that game for you.

Just watched him throw passes to wide open recievers with no action in front of him.

What are you smoking? What is a spiral if his throws were not?  And just an FYi you never watched the video cause you would have seen that it was a non contact scrimage.  In case you don't know that is 11 on 11 practice.  Go away troll and get a football intell.

ForceFan27 (4/8/2008)
rollow lawson (4/8/2008)
He's a project moreso b/c of the level of competition he played against in 1-AA.

It's funny how Flacco is never labeled as a project.  Didn't he play 1-AA competition too?

I consider Flacco a project too from that standpoint. But he has much better physical tools and a higher ceiling then Johnson.

Flacco is more the "prototypical" NFL type QB. Fair? Maybe not. But I would take him over JJ, which, may be a huge mistake. I'm just a fan going on what I see on TV, hear on the radio, and read in the paper. But, I think that 99% of all NFL office folks would take Flacco before JJ. Believe it.

I agree w/you completely.

da snowman (4/8/2008)

And why is that??.....other than he is white?:alien:

cocktailcove (4/8/2008)
da snowman (4/8/2008)

What are you talking about?:angry:

matt_jennifer (4/8/2008)
How was it against kids that could not be in a high school team?  He played ion division II same division that has App. State, and Deleware.  He was the MVP of the East-West Shrine game.  That is against Division I athletes.  He has very good mechanics and has very quick feet while dropping back from center.  He makes good decisions with the ball.  The 43 tds to 1 int is not because of lesser competition it is because he does not put the pass in an area to get picked.  The kid is a real deal and don't be surprised if he is a frist day pick because of his mechanics and athletic ability and smarts.

Joshson is division II, App. State and Delaware are I-AA.

App State's conference, the SoCon, is harder than some I-A conferences.

matt_jennifer (4/8/2008)
cocktailcove (4/8/2008)
matt_jennifer (4/8/2008)
cocktailcove (4/8/2008)

4.55 whatever

What are you smoking? What is a spiral if his throws were not?  And just an FYi you never watched the video cause you would have seen that it was a non contact scrimage.  In case you don't know that is 11 on 11 practice.  Go away troll and get a football intell.

FYI I watch the combine throws. No helmet, No rush, No corners, No passes on the money,  NO SPIRALS.  a five year old can throw one spiral in 10 tried dude.

formul8or (4/8/2008)

You are correct on the 1st point, I had been thinking SDST was 1-AA but it is indeed D-II.

And very good point about the So.Conf. It is better top to bottom then the Big Televen and the Big Least, and I'm not exagerrating.

cocktailcove (4/8/2008)
da snowman (4/8/2008)

You Know....oh you know.;)

FYI just watched your tape...I heard the JJ speak......Now I will comitt suicide if he becomes a Falcon.:w00t:

formul8or (4/8/2008)
matt_jennifer (4/8/2008)
How was it against kids that could not be in a high school team?  He played ion division II same division that has App. State, and Deleware.  He was the MVP of the East-West Shrine game.  That is against Division I athletes.  He has very good mechanics and has very quick feet while dropping back from center.  He makes good decisions with the ball.  The 43 tds to 1 int is not because of lesser competition it is because he does not put the pass in an area to get picked.  The kid is a real deal and don't be surprised if he is a frist day pick because of his mechanics and athletic ability and smarts.

Really then i guess they are misinformed also.

[edit] Football Championship Subdivision

The Division I Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as I-AA) determines its champion in a 16-team, single-elimination tournament. The champions of eight conferences receive automatic bids to this tournament. However, teams from other conferences are still eligible for one of the eight remaining "at-large" spots.

The Ivy League chooses to not participate in this tournament, and the Pioneer Football League and Northeast Conference play in the Gridiron Classic, though all conference teams technically remain tournament eligible. Due to their own conference title game and games played Thanksgiving weekend, the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) does not play in the playoffs. The possible exception here is if a SWAC team other than Alabama State, Grambling State, or Southern (all of whom play Thanksgiving weekend) does not win their division to go to the SWAC championship game and still has seven D-I wins, they are eligible for an at-large spot. However, this scenario has not occurred since the SWAC pulled out of the playoff at-large system.

When I-AA was formed in 1978, the playoffs comprised just four teams, doubling to eight teams in 1981. The following year (1982) changed to a 12-team tourney, with each of the top four seeds receiving a first-round bye and a home game in the quarterfinals. The I-AA playoffs went to the present 16-team format in 1986. After 28 seasons, the "I-AA" was dropped by the NCAA for 2006 season and playoffs, although it is still informally used.

The last SWAC team to participate in the I-AA playoffs was Jackson State in 1997; the SWAC never achieved success in the tournament, going winless in 19 games in twenty years (1978-97). The Ivy league, which was moved down to I-AA beginning in 1982 (against their wishes), has a strict 10-game schedule policy and has yet to participate in the I-AA/FCS playoffs.

Schools in a transition period after joining the FCS from Division II are also ineligible for the playoffs. Several highly ranked teams in 2006 were excluded, with #3 North Dakota State as the most notable absence ;the Bison will not be eligible for the playoffs until the 2008 season.

The three service academies (Army, Navy, & Air Force) were briefly considered for I-AA status in the early 1980s, but under a recommendation from The Pentagon, have remained in the NCAA's top subdivision.

Division I FCS schools are currently restricted to giving financial assistance amounting to 63 full scholarships. Unlike Bowl Subdivision schools, Championship Subdivision schools may divide their allotment into partial scholarships, but Championship Subdivision schools are limited to 85 players receiving any sort of athletic financial aid for football. Due to competitive forces, however, a substantial number of players in Championship Subdivision programs are on full scholarships.

A few Championship Subdivision conferences are composed of schools that offer no athletic scholarships at all, most notably the Ivy League and the Pioneer Football League, a football-only conference. The Northeast Conference also sponsored non-scholarship football, but began offering a maximum of 30 full scholarship equivalents in 2006. The Patriot League does not give football scholarships, but permits them in other sports (athletes receiving these scholarships are ineligible to play football for Patriot League schools).

A national championship team for this level of football is determined annually "on the field" in a 16-team tournament. The #1-ranked Championship Subdivision mid-major team is awarded The Sports Network Cup on the eve of the overall Championship Subdivision championship game. The PFL and NEC also meet in an exempted postseason game called the Gridiron Classic, which will match the champions of the two Championship Subdivision football conferences, except if one of the league champions make the playoff, in which the second place team will compete.

[edit] Conferences

Conference “!Nickname “!Founded “!Members “!Sports “!Headquarters “!Tournament Bid “!
Big Sky ConferenceBig Sky1963915Ogden, UtahAutomatic
Big South ConferenceBig South1983918Charlotte, North CarolinaInvitation
Colonial Athletic AssociationCAA1983 (2007 for football)1221Richmond, VirginiaAutomatic
Division I-FCS Independents4Invitation
Gateway Football ConferenceGateway198581St. Louis, MissouriAutomatic
Great West Football ConferenceGreat West200451Elmhurst, IllinoisInvitation
Ivy LeagueIvy League1954833Princeton, New JerseyAbstains
Mid-Eastern Athletic ConferenceMEAC19701215Virginia Beach, VirginiaAutomatic
Northeast ConferenceNEC19811222Somerset, New JerseyInvitation
Ohio Valley ConferenceOVC19481117Brentwood, TennesseeAutomatic
Patriot LeaguePatriot1986823Center Valley, PennsylvaniaAutomatic
Pioneer Football LeaguePFL199181St. Louis, MissouriInvitation
Southern ConferenceSOCON19211119Spartanburg, South CarolinaAutomatic
Southland ConferenceSouthland19631217Frisco, TexasAutomatic
Southwestern Athletic ConferenceSWAC19201018Birmingham, AlabamaAbstains

cocktailcove (4/8/2008)
da snowman (4/8/2008)

um no..because he is a project thats why..people want to label johnson as a project just because of the school he went to, matt ryan is a project also..sure he faced much tougher defenses, but he also had 17 suspect interceptions..

da snowman (4/8/2008)
cocktailcove (4/8/2008)
da snowman (4/8/2008)

um no..because he is a project thats why..people want to label johnson as a project just because of the school he went to, matt ryan is a project also..sure he faced much tougher defenses, but he also had 17 suspect interceptions..

I'm not a Ryan fan but to label him a project is asinine.

da snowman (4/8/2008)
cocktailcove (4/8/2008)
da snowman (4/8/2008)

Wasn't it 19 ints? Either way, Ryan is a better QB, but again, if we can get Johnson in the 3rd round...forget Ryan!

Oh and Da Snowman, Question...would you rather have Vick or Peyton?

matt_jennifer (4/8/2008)
formul8or (4/8/2008)
matt_jennifer (4/8/2008)

Really then i guess they are misinformed also.

[edit] Football Championship Subdivision

The Division I Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as I-AA) determines its champion in a 16-team, single-elimination tournament. The champions of eight conferences receive automatic bids to this tournament. However, teams from other conferences are still eligible for one of the eight remaining "at-large" spots.

The Ivy League chooses to not participate in this tournament, and the Pioneer Football League and Northeast Conference play in the Gridiron Classic, though all conference teams technically remain tournament eligible. Due to their own conference title game and games played Thanksgiving weekend, the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) does not play in the playoffs. The possible exception here is if a SWAC team other than Alabama State, Grambling State, or Southern (all of whom play Thanksgiving weekend) does not win their division to go to the SWAC championship game and still has seven D-I wins, they are eligible for an at-large spot. However, this scenario has not occurred since the SWAC pulled out of the playoff at-large system.

When I-AA was formed in 1978, the playoffs comprised just four teams, doubling to eight teams in 1981. The following year (1982) changed to a 12-team tourney, with each of the top four seeds receiving a first-round bye and a home game in the quarterfinals. The I-AA playoffs went to the present 16-team format in 1986. After 28 seasons, the "I-AA" was dropped by the NCAA for 2006 season and playoffs, although it is still informally used.

The last SWAC team to participate in the I-AA playoffs was Jackson State in 1997; the SWAC never achieved success in the tournament, going winless in 19 games in twenty years (1978-97). The Ivy league, which was moved down to I-AA beginning in 1982 (against their wishes), has a strict 10-game schedule policy and has yet to participate in the I-AA/FCS playoffs.

Schools in a transition period after joining the FCS from Division II are also ineligible for the playoffs. Several highly ranked teams in 2006 were excluded, with #3 North Dakota State as the most notable absence ;the Bison will not be eligible for the playoffs until the 2008 season.

The three service academies (Army, Navy, & Air Force) were briefly considered for I-AA status in the early 1980s, but under a recommendation from The Pentagon, have remained in the NCAA's top subdivision.

Division I FCS schools are currently restricted to giving financial assistance amounting to 63 full scholarships. Unlike Bowl Subdivision schools, Championship Subdivision schools may divide their allotment into partial scholarships, but Championship Subdivision schools are limited to 85 players receiving any sort of athletic financial aid for football. Due to competitive forces, however, a substantial number of players in Championship Subdivision programs are on full scholarships.

A few Championship Subdivision conferences are composed of schools that offer no athletic scholarships at all, most notably the Ivy League and the Pioneer Football League, a football-only conference. The Northeast Conference also sponsored non-scholarship football, but began offering a maximum of 30 full scholarship equivalents in 2006. The Patriot League does not give football scholarships, but permits them in other sports (athletes receiving these scholarships are ineligible to play football for Patriot League schools).

A national championship team for this level of football is determined annually "on the field" in a 16-team tournament. The #1-ranked Championship Subdivision mid-major team is awarded The Sports Network Cup on the eve of the overall Championship Subdivision championship game. The PFL and NEC also meet in an exempted postseason game called the Gridiron Classic, which will match the champions of the two Championship Subdivision football conferences, except if one of the league champions make the playoff, in which the second place team will compete.

[edit] Conferences

Conference “!Nickname “!Founded “!Members “!Sports “!Headquarters “!Tournament Bid “!
Big Sky ConferenceBig Sky1963915Ogden, UtahAutomatic
Big South ConferenceBig South1983918Charlotte, North CarolinaInvitation
Colonial Athletic AssociationCAA1983 (2007 for football)1221Richmond, VirginiaAutomatic
Division I-FCS Independents4Invitation
Gateway Football ConferenceGateway198581St. Louis, MissouriAutomatic
Great West Football ConferenceGreat West200451Elmhurst, IllinoisInvitation
Ivy LeagueIvy League1954833Princeton, New JerseyAbstains
Mid-Eastern Athletic ConferenceMEAC19701215Virginia Beach, VirginiaAutomatic
Northeast ConferenceNEC19811222Somerset, New JerseyInvitation
Ohio Valley ConferenceOVC19481117Brentwood, TennesseeAutomatic
Patriot LeaguePatriot1986823Center Valley, PennsylvaniaAutomatic
Pioneer Football LeaguePFL199181St. Louis, MissouriInvitation
Southern ConferenceSOCON19211119Spartanburg, South CarolinaAutomatic
Southland ConferenceSouthland19631217Frisco, TexasAutomatic
Southwestern Athletic ConferenceSWAC19201018Birmingham, AlabamaAbstains

Does it say Division II in there somewhere? You said Johnson, App State, and Delaware were Division II, and then post a I-AA thing.

IHateThe Cowboys! (4/8/2008)
da snowman (4/8/2008)
cocktailcove (4/8/2008)
da snowman (4/8/2008)

Wasn't it 19 ints? Either way, Ryan is a better QB, but again, if we can get Johnson in the 3rd round...forget Ryan!

ummmmmm, thats a tough one..ummmm lets see...ummmmmm ill take vick for 1000 alex..DING DING DING....

da snowman (4/8/2008)
IHateThe Cowboys! (4/8/2008)
da snowman (4/8/2008)
cocktailcove (4/8/2008)
da snowman (4/8/2008)

ummmmmm, thats a tough one..ummmm lets see...ummmmmm ill take vick for 1000 alex..DING DING DING....

So you would take Michael Vick over Peyton manning?

WOW...

not sure what else to say to you. I knew the answer, but I am still shocked to hear it.

WOW.

da snowman (4/8/2008)
cocktailcove (4/8/2008)
da snowman (4/8/2008)

They're ALL projects and don't forget that. None of them are ready to start in the NFL and wouldn't be until at LEAST their 2nd year.  Most of them would do good to earn a job as a backup.  You all should stop all of your arguing about the QBs in THIS draft and join the train stating "We don't need to draft a stinkin' QB this year!".  We need to build half a Defense and build an Offensive Line.  Why waste a pick on another backup QB?  "Build The Lines TD!!!"

muskokas finest (4/8/2008)
Funny how people will look past Flacco's 1A background, but use it as a reason to dismiss Johnson.

Funny how that works out, huh?

da snowman (4/8/2008)
cocktailcove (4/8/2008)
da snowman (4/8/2008)

How is it asinine?  Favre,and Young were projects.  They turned out to be ok didn't they?  Don't give me that they were drafted to an established team.  Farve was here, and Young was drafted to the worst team in Football at the time the Sucs and sucked it up there.  Bradshaw was the same way and he ended up with a couple of Super Bowl rings.  Bradshaw was even benched in his career for not performing.  Montana is the same way he did not play start until half way through his second year.  They also sucked before he got there and was sitting on the bench for two years.  In the seventies they were 26 games below .500 not exactly great as team.  The three years before he was drafted they were 15-29 not great.

ForceFan27 (4/8/2008)
rollow lawson (4/8/2008)

Much better physical tools?

Flacco's taller and has a stronger arm. Johnson's quicker and faster. I don't think the physical advantages are that much, if at all, in favor of Flacco.

Not to mention Johnson's the better passer with better pocket presence and the more experienced player.

Johnson's worst season is better than Brohm or Henne's best season.

Johnson averaged more rushing yards per game this season than Flacco, Henne and Brohm have total rushing yards combined for their careers.

He's thrown far more TD's, has a higher completion % and have a greater yds/att than Flacco, Henne and Brohm as well.

I think this is the point which you guys will use the strength of competition argument to your favor?