Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jp7833

Josh Johnson

99 posts in this topic

More and more I see more people jumping on the JJ band wagon. I wanted to know why people see that he is so great or think that he is going to be great. I've watched his highlights, they are impressive but you have to think he is throwing against kids who wouldnt have made it onto most of our high school teams. Anyways, I would really appreciate if people could give me ground evidence of why they think JJ is one of the best prospects at QB in the draft. Dont just say "He is the future!" thats not a real answer.

He reminds many of them of Vick. I don't think there's a chance we draft Johnson, but that's just my opinion.

Not just saying "No" to Josh Johnson, but saying "No" to any QB in this particular draft.  Lone exception would be if we can get Brohm with our second pick, other than that, there's not a 'Franchise' QB in this draft worth the effort.

Jp7833 (4/8/2008)
More and more I see more people jumping on the JJ band wagon. I wanted to know why people see that he is so great or think that he is going to be great. I've watched his highlights, they are impressive but you have to think he is throwing against kids who wouldnt have made it onto most of our high school teams. Anyways, I would really appreciate if people could give me ground evidence of why they think JJ is one of the best prospects at QB in the draft. Dont just say "He is the future!" thats not a real answer.

The thing that has me most intrigued is the 43td to 1 int ratio.  Accuracy is accuracy, be it at D1, DII, DIII school, or at skeet shooting. Also keep in mind he was not just throwing against lower level competition.  He was working with lesser talent on his side too.  It's not like he had USC caliber athletes while going up against a DIII school.  The playing field was level. I think he was just the only one that didn't belong their. Keep in mind that he is a superior athlete that was recruited by some DI schools, albeit to play a different position.  Remember a rb came out of New Orleans in 1990.  All the top schools wanted to switch him to defense (Miami included).  He chose San Diego State, got cheated out of the Heisman, went to the pros, set records, won a SB, and is now waiting on his call from Canton.  All this at his true position of RB.  Does Marshall Faulk ring a bell. 

rollow lawson (4/8/2008)
Jp7833 (4/8/2008)

The thing that has me most intrigued is the 43td to 1 int ratio.

Well put. 43 to 1 is a crazy number. I would just be scared about using a 2nd, 3rd, even a 4th on a guy that seems like such a project.

If we had Vick, with Shockley and Johnson as backups it would be a good system to build a mobile QB around.

But alas Vick is gone, Shockley will probably be, and Johnson is a project.

ForceFan27 (4/8/2008)
rollow lawson (4/8/2008)
Jp7833 (4/8/2008)

Well put. 43 to 1 is a crazy number. I would just be scared about using a 2nd, 3rd, even a 4th on a guy that seems like such a project.

Honestly, what makes him such of a project?  I hear that a lot.  It's clear that the guy has received A1 coaching.  I know Harbaugh coached him.  Did Trent Edwards, the second round pick to Buffalo work out of the same offense coming out of Stanford. I think he got picked in the second.

ForceFan27 (4/8/2008)
rollow lawson (4/8/2008)
Jp7833 (4/8/2008)

what the heck does it mean to be a project???just because gets drafter after the first round makes him a project? i dont know enlighten me someone..if this is the case, tom brady was the biggest project ever and wow, he turned up a little better then most 1st rounder QB's...ok maybe ALOT BETTER..

I like his release. He makes quick decisions and knows where to put the ball. During the Senior Bowl, he was coaching players on the field. This shows leadership & intelligence. He is my second choice, because I like Brohm better. I like Flacco's arm, but an arm alone doesn't cut it. Ryan reminds me of Farve, A gun slinger, but doesn't have the arm to back it up. Woodson's delivery scares me and he takes too many sacks. I would also take a chance on Dixon further down in the draft.

rollow lawson (4/8/2008)
ForceFan27 (4/8/2008)
rollow lawson (4/8/2008)
Jp7833 (4/8/2008)

Honestly, what makes him such of a project?  I hear that a lot.  It's clear that the guy has received A1 coaching.  I know Harbaugh coached him.  Did Trent Edwards, the second round pick to Buffalo work out of the same offense coming out of Stanford. I think he got picked in the second.

I'm waiting for the "project" definition too.

He's a project moreso b/c of the level of competition he played against in 1-AA.

The competition jump from that to the NFL is astronomical.

Matthew Pritts (4/8/2008)
He's a project moreso b/c of the level of competition he played against in 1-AA.

It's funny how Flacco is never labeled as a project.  Didn't he play 1-AA competition too?

rollow lawson (4/8/2008)

It's funny how Flacco is never labeled as a project.  Didn't he play 1-AA competition too?

BINGO!!!!

da snowman (4/8/2008)
rollow lawson (4/8/2008)

BINGO!!!!

They're ALL projects!!!!

All of the QB's are projects. With other positions such as RB, you pretty much know what you're getting. QB not so much.

falconfansince66 (4/8/2008)
da snowman (4/8/2008)
rollow lawson (4/8/2008)

BINGO!!!!

They're ALL projects!!!!

I'm more comfortable with that approach. Don't single out one or two players with such a bogus argument.

How was it against kids that could not be in a high school team?  He played ion division II same division that has App. State, and Deleware.  He was the MVP of the East-West Shrine game.  That is against Division I athletes.  He has very good mechanics and has very quick feet while dropping back from center.  He makes good decisions with the ball.  The 43 tds to 1 int is not because of lesser competition it is because he does not put the pass in an area to get picked.  The kid is a real deal and don't be surprised if he is a frist day pick because of his mechanics and athletic ability and smarts.

rollow lawson (4/8/2008)
falconfansince66 (4/8/2008)
da snowman (4/8/2008)
rollow lawson (4/8/2008)

BINGO!!!!

They're ALL projects!!!!

I'm more comfortable with that approach. Don't single out one or two players with such a bogus argument.

thats what im talkin about.

It really is the level of competition. If you can play, you can play. But, I have to assume that making the jump from I-AA is a little more difficult than makinging it from a big time D-I football school. Project means that, while he may end up being a good pro, there are others that will be ready to play sooner. No way Johnson can play on the NFL level year one, even two and be successful...after two years, he may be ready. Thats a project.

Just watched the combine tap on him.  If anyone told me they wanted this guy I would smack then on the forhead and say "wasn't Vick great". 

4.55 whatever

passes underthrown and NOT ONE SPIRAL lol

vert 33....Brohm beat that

long jump 9.2.....I beat that.....in 8th grade.

I wouldnt sign this guy as an undrafted free agent. 

rollow lawson (4/8/2008)

I consider Flacco a project too from that standpoint. But he has much better physical tools and a higher ceiling then Johnson.

I don't know what HS you went to but i've Never seen one full of D-I Athletes. Yes San Diego IS a Division I-AA Program, Same as Flacco, Same as App. State who beat Michigan as everyone knows. Josh Johnson was 206-301 for 2988 with 43 TD and only 1 INT WITH 726 rush Yrds. Flacco was 331-521 for 4263 with 23 TD and 5 INT with 22 rush Yrds. Keep in mind that Flacco Played 5 More games. Now i cant possibly see how Flacco Is that much better than JJ When They both have great Passing stats, During the reguar season they were, Flacco-3185 Johnson-2988. The big difference is of course Johnson's Regular Season 43 TDs and Flacco's 17. They both played against reasonably similar competition as well. Now, Flacco is a good QB But why isnt JJ...??? I would much rather have JJ over Flacco or any other QB in the second round especially, maybe the whole draft. btw Those stats are off of their respective schools' sites so if there are any mess ups sorry...

cocktailcove (4/8/2008)
Just watched the combine tap on him.  If anyone told me they wanted this guy I would smack then on the forhead and say "wasn't Vick great". 

4.55 whatever

passes underthrown and NOT ONE SPIRAL lol

vert 33....Brohm beat that

long jump 9.2.....I beat that.....in 8th grade.

I wouldnt sign this guy as an undrafted free agent. 

You need to smack yourself.  Look at the East-West Shrine game and practice he was the MVP of the game against DI players.  In case you don't believe me here is the practice tape from that game for you.

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/draftguys...b?autoplay=true