Parcells could pass on the 1st pick

Just a thought but what if parcels passed on the 1st pick and took his player at 3 or 4. Its known that parcels doesn't want to pay the #1 pick in the draft historically he has tried to trade the pick but there are not allot of suitors this year for the first pick with no clear cut franchise QB. parcels could just wait and take his player further down and save a ton of money.

Possible, but not likely.  He wouldn't really be avoiding the huge contract that the #1 pick is going to get.  Whoever he drafts, that player's agent is going to insist that he is the #1 pick regardless of where the Dolphins actually drafted him.  That situation will probably result in a long holdout and then that player will miss training camp.  That's probably the worst possible outcome, for your 1st round pick to miss training camp.  If Parcells does let time expire on their #1 pick, he's just going to be giving himself a different kind of headache.

Old. Also, it would end up as a holdout for everyone.

If the team picking #1 drops and picks you at #4, they will want to be paid as a #1 while the team wants #4. Whoever is defaulted to #1 wants to be paid like a #1 and the team will say no, you will be paid as a #2 and so on.

I'm certain the NFL wouldn't let it happen

There's precedent against it. When the Vikings missed their pick a few years back, the player they eventually picked three slots later demanded money like he would have gotten had he been taken at their original pick. That pick was in the high teens, I believe. I can't imagine it happening with the first overall pick in the draft.

Direwolf

The NFL couldnt do anything about it because its the dolphins choice when they want to turn their card in. As far as the contract is concerned their is gonna be a holdout no matter if he gets drafted #1 or #3. the only difference is it gives the dolphins an argument to not give him the money.

he'd be smart to be talking with the rams/falcons/jets/raiders about moving down for **** even a 4 or 5 or 6th pick rather than just letting his time expire.

i know i wouldnt be mad if we moved up to #1, for our #3 and say a 5th rounder.

then we have our choice of Dorsey or Long.

matt_jennifer (4/8/2008)
In case we fotget this is Parcell's if he drafts someone at three parcell's will pay him three money.  Parcell's does not care about making friends.

No. But he does care about players playing and I can pretty much guarantee that the agent would advise his client in the STRONGEST possible terms to hold out for first pick money. I doubt they'd ever agree on anything less.

And, frankly, I'd agree. I think it'd be a weak, dirty trick to try and weasel out of the paying the money (and forcing another team into the situation of having to argue AGAINST paying the money).

Direwolf

Parcells would have a guaranteed holdout on his hands if he did that.  The smartest move would be to have an agreement in place before draft day.  Not having the contract agreed to before draft day results in a holdout on the scale of Jamarcus Russell.  Intentionally delaying their pick until the #2 or #3 or whichever slot is guaranteeing a holdout that will be a lot more difficult to resolve than even Jamarcus Russell's.  it would be funny to watch this go down though.  I say Parcells should go for it

snicker (4/8/2008)
Parcells would have a guaranteed holdout on his hands if he did that.  The smartest move would be to have an agreement in place before draft day.  Not having the contract agreed to before draft day results in a holdout on the scale of Jamarcus Russell.  Intentionally delaying their pick until the #2 or #3 or whichever slot is guaranteeing a holdout that will be a lot more difficult to resolve than even Jamarcus Russell's.  it would be funny to watch this go down though.  I say Parcells should go for it

Well, yeah... for the humor value, I'd be all about seeing it happen, even though it would be likely to screw the Falcons unless the Dolphins picked right after the Rams since we'd have to argue over second overall pick money or third. Annoying.

But it would make for great theater!

Direwolf

Farmer (4/8/2008)
If Miami really had no opinion who they got between 3-4 players, they'd be better off trading straight up with us, the Raiders or KC.

except that NO ONE wants to trade up to #1.  pretty much makes that impossible for Miami to do

I agree with snicker. There's leverage at #1 to get a contract in place before the draft. As a matter of fact, with up to about five or six players close to evenly ranked on most draft boards, I would be shocked if the Dolphins don't have a deal done on draft morning. Very much a Reggie Bush/Mario Williams scenario, only with more options.

william britt (4/8/2008)
Just a thought but what if parcels passed on the 1st pick and took his player at 3 or 4. Its known that parcels doesn't want to pay the #1 pick in the draft historically he has tried to trade the pick but there are not allot of suitors this year for the first pick with no clear cut franchise QB. parcels could just wait and take his player further down and save a ton of money.

Uhhhhh..............who the **** else wants to WASTE their money ???

Dolphins' Bill Parcells appears willing to trade top pick

Sunday, March 23rd 2008, 4:00 AM

Bill ParcellsDeryk/Reuters

Bill Parcells

Bill Parcells emerged from his beloved bunker the other day to return a phone call and provide an amusing answer to the biggest question in the NFL these days.

"Okay Bill, what are you doing with the first pick?"

He laughed over the phone from South Florida and said, "I am unable to divulge anything at this point."

This is the third time Parcells has walked into a job and inherited the first pick in the draft and the second time there's not enough value to use the pick. He took Drew Bledsoe for the Patriots in 1993, then traded down twice when he was with the Jets in 1997 after Peyton Manning elected to stay for his senior year at Tennessee.

Parcells might be in the position of power in his first draft for the Dolphins, but he's not going to be able to make a great deal to trade out. There is no can't-miss quarterback - Boston College's Matt Ryan is an upgraded version of Matt Schaub. And the best player in the draft is having his character questioned - Arkansas running back Darren McFadden. The trade interest in the pick has been mild.

The NFL winter meetings begin next Sunday in Palm Beach, Fla., right up the road on I-95 from the Dolphins' offices in Davie. But Parcells is not even bothering to attend when he perhaps could set the foundation in face-to-face meetings for a trade leading up to the draft. He sees no need to be there.

If Parcells stays put at No. 1, Virginia DE Chris Long, the son of Hall of Famer Howie Long, is likely to be his pick unless Parcells determines before the April 26 draft that quarterback John Beck, the second-round pick of the previous regime, has no chance to be a player. Then he would take Ryan. Veteran Josh McCown, recently signed as a free agent, is a classic Parcells hold-the-fort guy.

Parcells left the impression he would love to trade down a few times and turn that one pick into five of the 25 to 30 new players he anticipates being on the 1-15 team he is trying to resurrect. And that would prevent Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga and his new partner Stephen Ross from signing off on the $30 million guaranteed that will go to the No. 1 pick. That makes it much harder to deal out of the spot than 10 years ago.

"I'm not sure anybody is interested in the pick," Parcells said. "The economics of the pick are a little more devastating if it doesn't work out. You have to have some willing partners of the trade-down thing. We're in position where we are assuming we are going to make the pick."

The Dolphins scored only 37 points in Beck's four starts - all losses - before he lost the job back to Cleo Lemon.

This is a pretty hilarious thread.  A team that is run by one of the most competitive people ever is simply going to pass on the opportunity to get the best player with the 1st pick and get nothing in return for passing except possibly some signing bonus savings? Now that's funny.