Could Vernon Gholston be our Brian Urlacher?

falconsatl

i have see alot of post on the message board saying that we should pick vernon gholston to play MLB for us. i know vernon played a lil linebacker at OSU and people may say he is to big to play linebacker in a 4-3 defense but he and brian urlacher are pretty much the same weight according to the combine vernon gholston is 6'4 258 and brian urlacher is also 6'4 258. i am not sure if brian played any other posistion besids lineback in college but the man is huge and plays middle linebacker for a 4-3 defense. although if glenn dorsey or jake long are there at 3 i say take either of them but if the draft goes jake long-1 and glenn dorsey-2 than i say lets draft a brian urlacher and he could be the face of our defense and franchise.

I started Gholston for Monster MLB, and he would rule all,

U put him over the Center in a 4-3, effectively making it a 5-2 on Run Downs!

Send him up the Middle on Blitzes like at Ohio State,

Also, he can drop back in coverage,

he can shed blockers!

He is not a Player limited to one spot though!

It would be kinda like LT back in the Day,

Opposing QB before the snap,

Wheres Gholston?

In your face in 2.3 sec, since he has the fastest first Step in the draft!

w2mupv.jpg

Right over the middle

Mike Smith is Crosstraining our players all we have to do is draft him!

34isprt.jpg

iDash (4/7/2008)

U put him over the Center in a 4-3, effectively making it a 5-2!

he can shed blockers!

Wheres Gholston?

99% of the players on the opposeing side of the ball are better than the college players he faced at ohio state.Its not madden.I think the guy is a baller but moveing him around to much his rooky season isnt a good idea.Hes a DE.A huge demand in the draft for DE just not here.

i mean hesnt really changing posstion he played some MLB in colleges so he knows a lil about the posistion and he would be changing to linebacker if say the jets got him or if the pats got him he would be playing outside linebacker for their 3-4 defenses atleast he knows how to play MLB for a 4-3 defense.

again i am not saying he should be our pick no matter what i would rather have jakelong or glenn dorsey i am saying if both of those players are taken we should go for gholston

falconsatl (4/7/2008)
i mean hesnt really changing posstion he played some MLB in colleges so he knows a lil about the posistion and he would be changing to linebacker if say the jets got him or if the pats got him he would be playing outside linebacker for their 3-4 defenses atleast he knows how to play MLB for a 4-3 defense.

again i am not saying he should be our pick no matter what i would rather have jakelong or glenn dorsey i am saying if both of those players are taken we should go for gholston

His only role at LB in college was to rush the QB - when he came onto the field, that was pretty much his only job. Starting linebackers in the NFL have to have more than one dimension, at least in the 4-3. Until he adds the coverage dimension to his game, he'll be more of a liability on the field than a strength...

this gholston to MLB idea is as dumb an idea as i have seen around here. it makes NO sense at all.

why waste a pick on gholston just to move him to a foreign position? the only time he ever played in the middle of the defense was to move him around to blitz him, and it will be a little more complicated than that should we actually have tried to move him to MLB.

we could get mayo in the 2nd, or goff in the 3rd, or wheeler in the 4th. all much better prospects at MLB than gholston will be. hes a DE or an OLB in the 3-4, plain and simple.

Someone already mentioned this, but Urlacher starter out as a safety.  Which is why he is athletic and can move his hips enough to cover tight ends up the middle - something NFL LB have to be able to do.

I haven't seen Gholston play, but no reports I've seen mention his ability to cover.

iDash (4/7/2008)

U put him over the Center in a 4-3, effectively making it a 5-2 on Run Downs!

he can shed blockers!

Wheres Gholston?

In your face in 2.3, since he has the fastest first Step in the draft!

w2mupv.jpg

Right over the middle

34isprt.jpg

you forgot that he has to drop back in coverage. that is vital for a cover 2 MLB

Purple Label (4/7/2008)
John Abraham was a LB. That's how he ended up with number 56 and now 55.

Wrong

Prior to the 2005 season he switched his jersey number from #94 to #56. He chose this number because it correspond to his birth date (5/6/1978), and because it was unavailable the seasons before, mainly because of Sam Cowart, who was traded to Minnesota earlier in the off-season.

Purple Label (4/7/2008)
John Abraham was a LB. That's how he ended up with number 56 and now 55.

He played DE and OLB at South Carolina. He was drafted as a DE. He played DE for the Jets until they switched to a 3-4. Then, he played the 3-4 rush-OLB, which is the equivalent of a DE in a 4-3. And he didn't like that, so he demanded a trade to a team that played a 4-3. He also made six more solo tackles in his final college season (30) than Gholston did in his entire career.

scott hartley (4/7/2008)

you forgot that he has to drop back in coverage. that is vital for a cover 2 MLB

The OLB/DE for Ohio State can Cover and many times Drop back into Coverage

ml4hth.jpg

Gholston stats would have been better.

if He played on the No talented South Carolina Defense Back in the day!

Ohio State's Animal and others Defenders would tackle the Opposition in 3 secs!

Mr Offseason Just admit U dont know jack ##### about Gholston!

jidady (4/7/2008)
"Could Vernon Gholston be our Brian Urlacher?"

No.

ding ding ding... thanks for the assist jidady.

idash, i think we should draft mcfadden at #3 and play him at QB, then we could move back up to #4 and pick gholston to get our MLB of the future.

this is honestly an absolutely ******** idea.

grendel (4/7/2008)
iDash (4/7/2008)
scott hartley (4/7/2008)

The OLB/DE for Ohio State can Cover and many times Drop back into Coverage

ml4hth.jpg

Gholston stats would have been better.

if He played on the No talented South Carolina Defense Back in the day!

Ohio State's Animal and others Defenders would tackle the Opposition in 3 secs!

Mr Offseason Just admit U dont know jack ##### about Gholston!

:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Dude, you're out of your depth.

i would have gone with mind, but your word works too. :laugh:

id rather just have gholston play LT too. hes athletic enough that i think he could help neutralize speed rushers, which jake long isnt as good at. and being a speed rusher himself, he knows exactly how to stop them. its the perfect plan! he can play LT and MLB, making him a fantastic value at #3. imagine gholston at LT and mcfadden at QB, what an offense wed have!

Mr. Offseason (4/7/2008)
iDash (4/7/2008)
Jake Long is the breast, he could move to LT!

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hes the breast, not the best. and he could move from the position he has played at michigan, LT, to LT in the nfl. :laugh:

Ha

Gholston played the same positions DE,MLB,OLB in College too ,Imagine that!

But, unlike Jake, he can play all in the Pros Too!:P

It would be like running a 5-2 on Running Downs and most Passing Downs!