Falcons staff visted Matt Ryan over the weekend for private workout

swiftkick

High-ranking members of the Atlanta Falcons organization visited Boston College over the weekend to put quarterback Matt Ryan through a private workout. The Falcons pick third in the draft, and they'll strongly consider Ryan.

"He's an outstanding player who comes as advertised," said first-year coach Mike Smith .

The Falcons certainly have a need at quarterback, with Chris Redman projected as the starter and Joey Harrington the backup.

Yet what Smith and first-year general manager Thomas Dimitroff must weigh is whether it's smarter business to fill other needs first -- left tackle, defensive tackle, and cornerback -- before inviting all the issues and expectations that come with selecting a quarterback that high, especially their first "franchise" quarterback since Michael Vick .

Mojo Risin (4/7/2008)
They visited him to throw the haters off of the scent of Vick's departure.:w00t:

def agree..Blank fueled up the Jet for staff to throw that monkey wrench into his plot to bring Vick back in 2011 so that Parcless thinks we will draft Ryan

bossFALCON (4/7/2008)
they talked about this on NFLN today. somebody (i think schefter) said that blank wants matt but TD wants to sure up the lines and take dorsey or long.

Blank needs to seriously back the F off. Let TD  do his job. Enough with trying to have 1 guy save the franchise. We need to beef up the OL and DL. If we get Ryan due to thats the guy Blank wants, then we ill continue to fail. Let TD do his **** job Blank.

sdogg (4/7/2008)
bossFALCON (4/7/2008)
they talked about this on NFLN today. somebody (i think schefter) said that blank wants matt but TD wants to sure up the lines and take dorsey or long.

Blank needs to seriously back the F off. Let TD  do his job. Enough with trying to have 1 guy save the franchise. We need to beef up the OL and DL. If we get Ryan due to thats the guy Blank wants, then we ill continue to fail. Let TD do his **** job Blank.

agree

hawkeyes (4/7/2008)
Why did they even hire a GM.  The only way they draft Ryan is if Blank makes them.

I dont get it at all. Blank should just make himself the GM, since he feels he can run the show. If he forces TD to draft Matt, TD will leave as soon as he can. LET TD DO WHAT YOU HIRED HIM TO DO BLANK.

Bloodhoundz (4/7/2008)
Calm down folks if we draft Ryan that doesn't mean Blank is the only reason we drafted him. I'm glad all this speculation is here because now are pick isn't predictable. It gives us more options especially if we want to trade down.

You may be right, but Im almost certain that if we draft Matt with the #3 pick, it was due to Blank. Smith and TD, in just about all their statements, have talked about building the lines. And TD coming from NE, knows that you can get a good QB in the later rounds, to be groomed for a year or 2. In the meantime, we shore up the line, so when he does get the start, he wont have to get killed like all our QBs have been getting for a long time now.

hawkeyes (4/7/2008)
Will Mike Smith and Thomas Dimitroff quit next year if Blank makes them draft Ryan?

If Blank does not allow them to do their jobs, they will bolt asap and we will continue to fail. Blank wants to be so much like Jerry Jones and the old Al Davis. Blank, you may know wood and tools, but you have no clue when it comes to football. Let the football minds you hired, build your franchise. You wont be disappointed.

hawkeyes (4/7/2008)
Will Mike Smith and Thomas Dimitroff quit next year if Blank makes them draft Ryan?

That thought has definitely crossed my mind but I'm sure their contracts are airtight after the Petrino deal.

Wouldn't that be something if one (or both) threw up their hands and walked?

I believe the Fans could handle it since we seem to be programed for the worse.:)

Bloodhoundz (4/7/2008)
Calm down folks if we draft Ryan that doesn't mean Blank is the only reason we drafted him. I'm glad all this speculation is here because now are pick isn't predictable. It gives us more options especially if we want to trade down.

i agree blood. regardless of what analysts say i think blank knows that if he wants to be a winner he needs to back off and let TD and smith do their job. if we take matt it is because smith, blank and TD think he was the best player that was on the board at #3.

bossFALCON (4/7/2008)

i agree blood. regardless of what analysts say i think blank knows that if he wants to be a winner he needs to back off and let TD and smith do their job. if we take matt it is because smith, blank and TD think he was the best player that was on the board at #3.

Right on, people just need to relax and see how it plays out. I think the decision will be from TD and Coach Smith. Sure  Blank will put a little input in but I don't think it will be much.

Bloodhoundz (4/7/2008)
bossFALCON (4/7/2008)

Right on, people just need to relax and see how it plays out. I think the decision will be from TD and Coach Smith. Sure Blank will put a little input in but I don't think it will be much.

yea schefter said that blank is leaning towards ryan, BUT WILL LEAVE THE DECISION UP SMITH AND TD, WHO ARE LEANING TOWARD FIXING UP THE LINES.

/dirtybird\ (4/7/2008)
bossFALCON (4/7/2008)

Interesting. I'm sure Blank will still leave it to TD.

yea im sure he will too. here is the vid if you're interested.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d807a3b3d