NFL Rumor Central: Falcons leaning toward Ryan?

You are signed into Insider and have access to this premium feature.

Monday, April 7

Falcons leaning toward Ryan?

High-ranking Falcons officials visited Matt Ryan over the weekend and put the former Boston College quarterback through a private workout, according to multiple reports.

The Falcons own the No. 3 pick in the draft and lack a franchise quarterback. As a result, there has been a lot of speculation that Ryan will end up in Atlanta.

"He's an outstanding player who comes as advertised," first-year Falcons coach Mike Smith told the Boston Globe.

Chris Redman is projected as the Falcons' starter in 2008 with Joey Harrington as the backup.

Farmer (4/7/2008)
This is stupid, of course we are going to put the highest rated QB through a workout.  That doesn't mean we're leaning towards him.  I'd be upset if we weren't taking a hard look at any and all possibilities.

I agree. Our staff is simply doing it's due diligence to make sure we make the most of this draft. Not working out Ryan would be stupid.

Farmer (4/7/2008)
This is stupid, of course we are going to put the highest rated QB through a workout.  That doesn't mean we're leaning towards him.  I'd be upset if we weren't taking a hard look at any and all possibilities.

agreed.  we'd be ignorant not to look deep into tha hype to see if it's true.  plus that statement by Mike Smith is about as generic as processed meat 

exactly, the farther ryan drops the more likely it seems that brohm would be available at #34.

its still mind boggling that we could end up with dorsey, brohm and baker. dorsey would be a top 5 pick, and last year brohm and baker would have been top 5 picks too, or top 10, if they had come out. its just remarkable, i can hardly believe it.

If Mike Smith and TD want Matt Ryan then I will back that decision up. It could very well be a smokescreen, but i hate when people act like they know more than NFL GM's and coaches.

Every team in the top of the draft has said that he is worth a top 5 pick, But somehow some of you message board GM's think you know more than them...Its funny and annoying to me at the same time...lol

FTW

Mr. Offseason (4/7/2008)
exactly, the farther ryan drops the more likely it seems that brohm would be available at #34.

its still mind boggling that we could end up with dorsey, brohm and baker. dorsey would be a top 5 pick, and last year brohm and baker would have been top 5 picks too, or top 10, if they had come out. its just remarkable, i can hardly believe it.

Its mind boggling that you still think that draft is possible. I guarantee Brohm goes in the 1st rnd. Dorsey and baker are possibile, but not all three

i really thought wed have to move up for him to get him, but i wouldnt be surprised if for whatever reason henne or flacco was drafted before brohm at this point. its an abomination that ryan is rated over brohm imo, because in most every measurable or statistical category brohm is the better player. that means ryan is a top 5 prospect because of his leadership qualities and because his intelligence is similar to brohm, despite his statistical deficiencies. it really makes no sense.

its not likely that we will get dorsey, brohm and baker. but to say that its impossible would be a foolish sentiment. personally, i dont think its likely either. but you wouldnt hear me complain if someone reached and picked henne or flacco before brohm, or if ryan fell to #13 or #14. brohm could very well go to the ravens at #8 or the panthers or bears at #13 or #14. but after that, its very possible that he could make it to #34. should ryan slide past #8, i think it just becomes more and more likely that brohm will be there, because there seems to be a glut as far as the qb projections in the late 1st, early 2nd, and then a pretty considerable drop-off after that.

i wouldnt be surprised if henne went off the board before brohm, perhaps to miami. say ryan went #14 to the bears, or #8 to the ravens, then henne would be the #2 qb off the board and then brohm would be waiting for us at #34, which would be one of the steals of the draft. the other could be sam baker at #37 if we end up picking him, and if he pans out like a few people think he can (jidady, this is you :laugh: ).

do i think it is likely that we get all 3? no. but do i think it is possible? absolutely. id like to think that it could happen, and it would set up one of the best drafts in franchise history, imo, if it did. we could come out of the first 40 picks with our starting LT, future starting QB and an immediate starter at DT, and wed still have pick #48. that would be beyond fantastic.

The H.N.I.C. 2! (4/7/2008)
Mr. Offseason (4/7/2008)

Its mind boggling that you still think that draft is possible. I guarantee Brohm goes in the 1st rnd. Dorsey and baker are possibile, but not all three

S, in one post you say that the "message-board GMs" that act like they no more than the front-office people annoy you.  And then in your next post you say that you "guarantee" Brohm goes in the first round, and that such a draft of Dorsey, Brohm, and Baker isn't possible.  Right....

67camaro (4/7/2008)

Monday, April 7

High-ranking Falcons officials visited Matt Ryan over the weekend and put the former Boston College quarterback through a private workout, according to multiple reports.

The Falcons own the No. 3 pick in the draft and lack a franchise quarterback. As a result, there has been a lot of speculation that Ryan will end up in Atlanta.

"He's an outstanding player who comes as advertised," first-year Falcons coach Mike Smith told the Boston Globe.

Chris Redman is projected as the Falcons' starter in 2008 with Joey Harrington as the backup.

I have no idea how this means we're leaning towards him.

Scott24Falcons (4/7/2008)
Mr. Offseason (4/7/2008)

S, in one post you say that the "message-board GMs" that act like they no more than the front-office people annoy you.  And then in your next post you say that you "guarantee" Brohm goes in the first round, and that such a draft of Dorsey, Brohm, and Baker isn't possible.  Right....

Im talking about people who ##### when Matt Ryan comes up. TD could log on here and tell us he's the best QB he's ever scouted and thinks he's a franchise QB like Tom Brady, and people would still ##### that TD is wrong.(not saying that Matt Ryan is great or that i want him, I just trust the Professionals who are actually working out ryan and do this for a living).

Every player is a gamble in the draft, **** Dorsey could bust big time, and Matt ryan could be the next peyton/brady...No one knows.

my bad off-season, wasnt trying to be a jerk...Its just that brohm is a top 20 pick in my opinion, if not top 10.

Another thing, I wasnt arguing the opinion of a GM, or a coach, I was just giving Off-season my opinion...How does that compare to when people say, TD better not draft Matt Ryan, or Mike Smith better not draft Matt Ryan...They are the guys researching these players, not you or me..If they want him, then Im all for it!

i didnt really take offense to it at all, i can hardly believe it myself. and i do that same thing sometimes, its fun so dont worry about it.

honestly i dont understand why brohm isnt a lock for a top 10 pick, because there really isnt any reason for it. unfortunately for him, he isnt imo. as a selfish falcons fan, i hope he falls to #34, but he deserves far better than that.

I have been thinking that Matt Ryan will be our pick for a long time now. I am not as against it as much as some guys on this board.

If we select Ryan, I won't be upset, but I won't come to this board for a long, long time. It will either be full of whiners, or full of mourners for those who have taken their lives.

Mr. Offseason (4/7/2008)

Mind boggling, not really.  When you have the top 3 picks of the first 37 you can think about a draft of Dorsey, Brohm, and Baker.

I expect our draft to be phenominal.  Regardless of what the other teams do, we have 7 picks in the top 110 players and should not walk away empty handed.  Our first 4 rounds have the potential to be the best ever recorded...if we do our homework.  Looks like we are.

Fanboy3000 (4/7/2008)
67camaro (4/7/2008)

Monday, April 7

I have no idea how this means we're leaning towards him.

I'm still curious. I didn't read anything that would lead me to believe we are "leaning" towards Ryan. We worked him out. Gave him a compliment.

Wow.

Farmer (4/7/2008)
This is stupid, of course we are going to put the highest rated QB through a workout. That doesn't mean we're leaning towards him. I'd be upset if we weren't taking a hard look at any and all possibilities.

We've also looked at a lot of other QBs. Could it mean that we'll draft 7 QBs in the draft this year?

grendel (4/8/2008)
If Mike Smith and TD want Matt Ryan then I will back that decision up. It could very well be a smokescreen, but i hate when people act like they know more than NFL GM's and coaches.

Every team in the top of the draft has said that he is worth a top 5 pick, But somehow some of you message board GM's think you know more than them...Its funny and annoying to me at the same time...lol

FTW

No team has told any of us their real plans. Pretending like you know what they're really thinking is more obnoxious than those of us who have our own opinions which vary from the established norm.

No team has said they will draft him, thats not what i was saying you #####, but alot of GM's and NFL guys have said that he is a great QB, and is worth being top 5. Then guys come on here and say like Matt Ryan is a 2nd rnd QB, Or he sucks, like they know more than GM's and Coaches. Most people on here just jumped on the bandwagon of Matt Ryan Haters, They dont have thier own opinion, there just saying things they have heard other people say. Once something gets popular on these boards, everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

gobige (4/9/2008)
I still remember Ryan blowing chunks after a big win earlier last year.  As long as it's done afterward, we shouldn't care right?

http://thebiglead.com/?p=3525

Still a bit bizarre and hopefully is meaningless (especially if we take the dude).  Just reminds me of McNabb and his nerves down the stretch in the SB.

To be fair, Ryan puked from pure exaustion.

McNabb puked just b/c he peed all over himself.