Dual Threat QBs contributes more points to a team than a pocket passer

I dont see why u guys that hate scrambling QBs dontlike them because they give you multiple ways of scoring and they are harder to gameplan for. i would take a scrambling peyton manning over a pocket passer peyton manning anyday  because if a defense shuts down your passing you still have other forms of attack..... just a thought. you antiscramblers dont kill me.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

monster (4/7/2008)
I dont see why u guys that hate scrambling QBs dontlike them because they give you multiple ways of scoring and they are harder to gameplan for. i would take a scrambling peyton manning over a pocket passer peyton manning anyday because if a defense shuts down your passing you still have other forms of attack..... just a thought. you antiscramblers dont kill me.

PLease show me where you can find a scrambling Peyton Manning. Next question. And Nop, Vick is not coming back. And Shockly is not starting.

When was the last time a dual threat QB won the superbowl or consistently taken his team to the playoffs? How many "good" dual threats are there in the NFL?

the only good dual I can think of that is worthy of having is Jay Cutler and Jason Campbell. Maybe Gerrard or Romo, but I think they are more pocket qb. Vince sucks, Rivers isn't too great.

Is Eli, Payton, Brady, Big Ben, Favre, Brees, Palmer, Anderson dual threats? Is Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, or even Kurt Warner a dual threat? (They won a superbowl)

A-Town Stomp (4/7/2008)
When was the last time a dual threat QB won the superbowl or consistently taken his team to the playoffs? How many "good" dual threats are there in the NFL?

the only good dual I can think of that is worthy of having is Jay Cutler and Jason Campbell. Maybe Gerrard or Romo, but I think they are more pocket qb. Vince sucks, Rivers isn't too great.

Is Eli, Payton, Brady, Big Ben, Favre, Brees, Palmer, Anderson dual threats? Is Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, or even Kurt Warner a dual threat? (They won a superbowl)

The past has nothing to do with it. This is about new age QB's. Different game, different players. The QB of the future is dual-threat.

We've been hearing for years from 12 year old Madden fans how run first QB's are 'da future!1!', yet the Mannings and Tom Brady keep winning Super Bowls. Passing is simply a more effective way to move the ball down the field than a QB who can run. If a QB who can run also passes well, he will pass more often. The problem is too many QB's who can run well don't develop enough as a passer to be effective in the NFL.

This is simply not true. Comparing the best scrambling QB to the best pocket passers you will find only once did the scrambler equal the TD output of the second best pocket passer(only second because I'm not using 07 stats).

Player 02 - 04 - 05 - 06 (years)

-------------------------------

Vick 24 - 17 - 21 - 22

Manning 29 - 49 - 28 -35

Brady 29 - 28 - 27 - 24

These TD totals are passing + rushing. I will also argue that there really isn't a dual threat QB in the league anymore. Donovan doesn't run, and while he's not very good at it, even Vince Young has tried to become a pocket passer.

There is a reason why pocket passers have been the "standard" over the last 30 years and it will continue to be for the next 30.

scott hartley (4/7/2008)
A-Town Stomp (4/7/2008)

The past has nothing to do with it. This is about new age QB's. Different game, different players. The QB of the future is dual-threat.

I am not to sure if I am sold on that. The NFL will always run the ball with the running backs, block with the lines, and throw it to the wide receivers. Draw up a list of "good dual threats" in the NFL. Dual threats is the future of College Football.

Reason is Dual-Threats can't consistently throw the ball to the wide receivers as a Pro-Style QB can. They are quite confusing and you need to install a complicated scheme to fit their style. The NFL is more pro-oriented offense.

A-Town Stomp (4/7/2008)

You guys must forget that steve young was a dual threat or what about warren moon

halsey (4/7/2008)
We've been hearing for years from 12 year old Madden fans how run first QB's are 'da future!1!', yet the Mannings and Tom Brady keep winning Super Bowls. Passing is simply a more effective way to move the ball down the field than a QB who can run. If a QB who can run also passes well, he will pass more often. The problem is too many QB's who can run well don't develop enough as a passer to be effective in the NFL.

I didn't say run first QB's. I said dual-threat. that means they can do both. They would all be pass first. Vick was pass first, he just had to scramble as soon as he got the ball because nobody blocked.

monster (4/7/2008)
A-Town Stomp (4/7/2008)

You guys must forget that steve young was a dual threat or what about warren moon

and Randall Cunningham, and steve mcnair.

scott hartley (4/7/2008)
obviously the stat quo is pro style pocket passer in the NFL. but I think it's slowly changing. I don't think dual-threat QB's will dominate the game but there is alot more now. And Vick made it very popular, before he went to jail that is.

I think there are some Pro-Style QBS that can run well. But they are not Dual Threats. Such as Big Ben, Romo, or even Brady can run 10 yards or for that first down.

But Dual Threats, you have to make a scheme to help their "Dual" threat status. Such as Vick, Cutler, Rivers, Vince Young. They are throwing the ball on the run, but also staying in the pocket some, making it confusing to wide receivers. Cutler often throws on the run so did Vick.

A-Town Stomp (4/7/2008)
scott hartley (4/7/2008)
obviously the stat quo is pro style pocket passer in the NFL. but I think it's slowly changing. I don't think dual-threat QB's will dominate the game but there is alot more now. And Vick made it very popular, before he went to jail that is.

I think there are some Pro-Style QBS that can run well. But they are not Dual Threats. Such as Big Ben, Romo, or even Brady can run 10 yards or for that first down.

But Dual Threats, you have to make a scheme to help their "Dual" threat status. Such as Vick, Cutler, Rivers, Vince Young. They are throwing the ball on the run, but also staying in the pocket some, making it confusing to wide receivers. Cutler often throws on the run so did Vick.

See thats where Nfl coaches go wrong by trying to scheme there scrambling attributes. Just let them play their game and thats freestyling improvising dont scheme dont incorporate it in the gameplan just let them do what they do like in college

Dual threat QB's have a lot of benefits, but they also have a lot of negatives that nobody on here ever considers.  A defense plays closer to the LOS when you have a dual threat QB.  They are not going to be as prone to drop more players into deep coverage because it's a low completion percentage pass anyhow and it's not worth the risk of opening up the field to a big running play.  That creates more difficulty for your offense in the short passing game, which is the higher completion percentage portion of the field.  The defense having more players closer to the LOS allows them to have more blitzing options, making it harder for your offense to recognize it's blocking assignments.  Since there are not many effective scrambling QB's in the league, defenses typically have to gameplan differently, which means that your offense doesn't have as much game tape on a particular defense to identify tendencies, because that defense playing against pocket QB's are completely different looks than you'll see against a scrambling QB. 

There are obvious benefits to a scrambling QB.  For instance, when the pass is completely shutdown, they can scramble for a first down.  That is a very significant benefit.  But when this option is used too often, it creates more congestion and more difficulty for your offense in the shorter part of the field, which is where most of your offensive plays take place.

scott hartley (4/7/2008)
A-Town Stomp (4/7/2008)

Wow tell me when that future gets here... cause it sure as heck isn't here yet...

Petrino is NOT my hero (4/7/2008)
scott hartley (4/7/2008)
A-Town Stomp (4/7/2008)

Wow tell me when that future gets here... cause it sure as heck isn't here yet...

I think that's why they call if the future

Magic Man (4/7/2008)
gimme a pocket passer who can run, but doesn't rely on it. 

There ya go, that's a "Real, Dual-Threat QB". 

Those that still think Vick was a 'dual threat' qb still need to get their heads checked out.  All you had to do to stop Vick was to stop him from running and force him to throw.  Seems he couldn't throw with great accuracy and/or touch to make his passes more catchable so the term "DUAL THREAT" should not apply.  Same goes with Vince Young of the Titans.  If you want an accurate pocket passer that can run, there have been some gems such as Mark Brunnel (ten years ago), Steve Young, Donovan McNabb (3+ years ago), etc.  Just because they can run 4.2 second 40's and can throw a football 40+ yards doesn't make them a 'dual threat' because without accuracy, they might as well be a RB or riding the pine.  

mbrizzle (4/7/2008)
Saying that Warren Moon was a dual-threat QB.... Ignorant or racist?

I know he's black. So maybe that's where you get the idea he was a runner. He was a pure pocket passer. But like I said, ignorant or racist?

Moon could run it early in his career. just like Air Mcnair.

scott hartley (4/7/2008)
A-Town Stomp (4/7/2008)

I haven't seen any evidence to support that. My opinion is that a "dual threat" QB puts more points on the board HIMSELF because the other players on the offense become much less involved. The receivers don't get into a rhythm because they don't get thrown to on a consistent basis. The RB don't get the reps, either. So, instead of "dual threat", you get "one dimensional". All the defense eventually has to do is account for the QB. No one else is much of a threat. Maybe the "dual threat" QB will be norm in the future, but playoff and championship success seems to elude the teams with a "dual threat" QB, Steve Young to the contrary.

scott hartley (4/7/2008)
Petrino is NOT my hero (4/7/2008)
scott hartley (4/7/2008)
A-Town Stomp (4/7/2008)

I think that's why they call if the future

I think its more like the far off future... Running QB's will never be the norm.. because you win superbowls with all assets of the game.. a good defense... tough running game from your RB's... and a good passing attack... a running QB gives you a little running and a little passing but not much of both in the NFL... that has been the problem with trying to get a superbowl