can anyone properly summarize how we came into so many picks in the draft?

grendel (4/7/2008)
Well, we started with 7. We got an extra 2nd in the Schaub deal last year (in addition to the 2nd we got last year). We got another 2nd from trading DHall. We got a 3rd round compensation pick for losing Kerney. We also have another 7th round pick from trading Rossum last year. That adds up to 11.

That about sums it up aye...

grendel (4/7/2008)
Well, we started with 7. We got an extra 2nd in the Schaub deal last year (in addition to the 2nd we got last year). We got another 2nd from trading DHall. We got a 3rd round compensation pick for losing Kerney. We also have another 7th round pick from trading Rossum last year. That adds up to 11.

so really most of these picks were acquired before td arrival.  so how is he the man?  again i like him and have faith in him, but we can't really "knight" him until we see what he does with all these picks first right?   hmmm i guess he did clear a lot of the cap space and had successful fa visits. 

falcon_eyes (4/7/2008)
OK, I love td, and the new direction of the falcons. but istd getting credit for all of the draft picks we have? if so is that fair? i am just wondering how we got all our picks his year and who is responsible for obtaining them.

Rich McKay

falcon_eyes (4/7/2008)
grendel (4/7/2008)

so really most of these picks were acquired before td arrival.  so how is he the man?  again i like him and have faith in him, but we can't really "knight" him until we see what he does with all these picks first right?   hmmm i guess he did clear a lot of the cap space and had successful fa visits. 

No one is saying he's great for having the picks (though getting any value at all for Hall after that guy kept shooting his mouth off is amazing enough). They're saying that, with his college scouting experience with the Patriots, he'll have a good shot to do very well with the picks he has.

Direwolf

falcon_eyes (4/7/2008)
grendel (4/7/2008)

I don't think anyone is "knighting" him yet. Just that he is doing some smart things for the future and most of us are impressed thus far. But make no mistake, if he screws up these picks he will be hung by me personally....lol.

Plus TD got us Oaks 5th round pick next year in addition to Oaks #34 this year for MeHall , he does get credit for that ,  ...........And the great thing is that TD will be picking the players with all these picks , Now here is where you will be able to judge him, because this is why Blank brought him in , It is his bread and butter . But if you ask me I think he has don't an excellant job so far . I'll let you know what I think of the draft as soon as it's over.

falcon_eyes (4/7/2008)
grendel (4/7/2008)

so really most of these picks were acquired before td arrival. so how is he the man? again i like him and have faith in him, but we can't really "knight" him until we see what he does with all these picks first right? hmmm i guess he did clear alot ofthe cap space and had successful fa visits.

he got us picks for trading Deangelo. And he is the man because he has done what he said he would do. He hasn't blown money and want to build through the draft.

He was the one who ultimately selected Mike Smith as our new coach and is ridding the team of guys who are me me me first and replacing them with guys who are team team team first.

I have yet to knight him but so far so good and yes, the draft will be key.

Let's also remember that there are two ways to evaluate a draft: on paper the day after and on the field some two or three years down the road.

So when he selects someone you (meaning anyone reading this) dont want, remember that he knows more than we do and it just might be the smart move down the road.

he gets credit in my book for the d-hall trade netting us 1st round value and for not giving away (so far) picks ín trades for recievers like peerless price. having said that i fell mckay had some solid drafts for us (people dont understand that you dont get superstars with every pick) but my goodness the Petrino hire was not good.