this have nothing to do with the falcons.... i just want to know what you guys think about this

atljbo

Two-year rule expected from NBA, NCAA

SAN ANTONIO NCAA president Myles Brand and NBA commissioner David Stern are holding a press conference here on Monday and are expected to announce a change in the NBA's draft eligibility policy.

Brand hinted Thursday the NCAA and NBA had worked out a deal to create a 20-year-old age limit, which would keep the best players in college for a minimum of two years.

The NBA adopted a 19-year-old age limit in its collective bargaining agreement with the players' association in 2006, which prevented high school players from jumping directly to the NBA.

[More:]

The rule created so-called "one and done" stars like Ohio State's Greg Oden, Texas' Kevin Durant and UNC's Brandan Wright.

Two freshman, Indiana's Eric Gordon and N.C. State's J.J. Hickson have already decided to enter the draft. Kansas State's Michael Beasley is expected to join them.

this kinda help the hawks..... We do not have a 1st round pick this year..... next year draft should be deeper

BlacksburgHokie (4/6/2008)
I think it's a good rule change - it should improve the quality of players entering the NBA, and will also allow scouts to get a better read on the talent of the players that they draft.

It should also improve the talent level in college basketball, which will be a nice benefit too...

True...but bad for NBA ready Elite talents

Is it just players that are 20, or do they have to play in college for two years?  I know that a few of those guys have gotten left back a few times in elementary and junior high.  Other than that.  BlacksburgHokie, a better quality of players?  The best quality they have are those 19 year old players.  You may have a Tim Duncan out of every 50 players.

i personally feel this will help the NBA, I think NCAA demands high levels of selflessness and team effort to be successful. Some of these young athletes coming directly out of HS making insane amounts of money are way to self absorbed. This will be good for the athletes and the NBA

Purple Label (4/6/2008)
The best quality they have are those 19 year old players.

Like Darko Milicic and Kwame Brown?

No like Lebron James, Kevin Garnett, Amare Stoudemire, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Jermaine O'neal, Rashard Lewis, Monta Ellis, Al Jefferson, Dwight Howard.

Bloodhoundz (4/6/2008)
Purple Label (4/6/2008)
The best quality they have are those 19 year old players.

Like Darko Milicic and Kwame Brown?

No like Lebron James, Kevin Garnett,Amare Stoudemire, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Jermaine O'neal, Rashard Lewis, Monta Ellis, Al Jefferson, Dwight Howard.

And like C.J. Miles, Ricky Sanchez, James Lang, Korleone Young, Ndudi Ebi, Darius Miles, Sebastian Telfair, Jonathan Bender, Leon Smith...

It will help improve the quality of basketball but a lot of these players can't afford to spend 2 more years in school. Some of them have families to take care of. Personally I think that NCAA players should get paid. Not anything huge, but every player should get a set and equal salary for every season they play. This could keep them out of trouble and give them some incentive to stay in school.

euros sign professional contracts around 16 years of age, so they're not eligible to play in the NCAA.

i'm sure an american kid could skip his eligibility going to play in europe for a season at 17-18 years old so he could by-pass his year at college.

my only question would be why?

tdot falcon (4/6/2008)
It will help improve the quality of basketball but a lot of these players can't afford to spend 2 more years in school. Some of them have families to take care of. Personally I think that NCAA players should get paid. Not anything huge, but every player should get a set and equal salary for every season they play. This could keep them out of trouble and give them some incentive to stay in school.

most of these guys are paid, in scholarship money. **** you seen the price of tuition lately? they get a free education, not to mention R&B and meals. education is never a bad thing. i do think they should be allowed to work PT in their off seasons to help make extra cash. i am not sure that the ncaa has changed it, when i was in school you couldn't, but they should.

tdot falcon (4/6/2008)

so an education, room and board, plus an allowance isn't enough?

sure the ncaa exploits these kids with television rights

but

the kids can turn around and exploit the schools for program, education, and your draft stock

plus...a salary would create a huge mess. with salary comes union, players making demands, higher costing college games. no thanks.

And like C.J. Miles, Ricky Sanchez, James Lang, Korleone Young, Ndudi Ebi, Darius Miles, Sebastian Telfair, Jonathan Bender, Leon Smith...

Care to bring up all the people that were bust after going to college for 4 years, or 3 years, or 2 years?

The NBA is a porivate company and should be allowed to have an age minimum if they desire, but I don't see why the NCAA is involved. That's basically showing that college basketball is really pro basketball that doesn't legally pay it's players in money. Yes, they get scholarships and certain other benefits, but that's supposed to be benefits for amatuer athletes. The NCAA shouldn't be in such close ties with the NBA. If I was a top prospect I would be tempted just to go to Europe for 2 years.

halsey (4/7/2008)
The NBA is a porivate company and should be allowed to have an ageminimum if they desire, but I don't see why the NCAA is involved. That's basically showing that college basketball is really pro basketball that doesn't legally pay it's players in money. Yes, they get scholarships and certain other benefits, but that's supposed to be benefits for amatuer athletes. The NCAA shouldn't be in such close ties with the NBA. If I was a top prospect I would be tempted just to go to Europe for 2 years.

I think the NCAA has a stake in this because all a player has to do is pass three classes in the fall to be eligible for the spring. Pass with a D. I don't think the 2.0 minimum kicks in until after the first quarter/semester. Apparently a lot of these 1 and done players are not going to classes in the spring because they are already eligible for the spring of that year and don't care about the next year. That is kind of a sham, but making it a two year minimum will demand at least three semesters of academic work out of these players.