I like the idea of trading down, but we need to come out of this draft with atleast one ELITE player

If we do trade down, I really hope we don't trade down past about 8...I am all about stockpiling draft picks, but I really feel like we need to get one REAL top notch player out of this draft.

That would be almost a given if we stayed at 3...We'd have our pick of Dorsey, Ellis, Long, Clady, Chris Long, Gholston, etc...

However, once we get past about 8 or 9 we are really getting into the next tier of players.

I'd be down for trading down to 8 as long as we get Clady...I actually feel like he'll be a better LT than Long.

That being said, I want Dorsey first and foremost...And I don't think there's any way he'll slip any farther than 5.

One thing is for sure...There are A LOT of possibilities. :D

The problem is that who we consider elite before the draft doesn't always turn out that way after it. Guys like Charles Rodgers, Robert Gallery and Joey Harrington were considered elite before the draft while 2007 offensive and defensive MVP's Tom Brady and Bob Sanders were not. Having more picks is better than having higher picks. More picks means less risk and more chances of finding a player who actually turns out to be elite int he NFL.

Where you are selected does not determine whether or not you are going to be an elite player. I would say we have just as good of a chance as hitting on an elite player in picks 10-20 as we do in picks 1-10. The only difference is that we have to sink a huge amount of money into a top 10 player.

falconva7 (4/6/2008)
Where you are selected does not determine whether or not you are going to be an elite player. I would say we have just as good of a chance as hitting on an elite player in picks 10-20 as we do in picks 1-10. The only difference is that we have to sink a huge amount of money into a top 10 player.

I would bet money that over the course of the NFL draft, better players have come from the 1-10 picks compared to 11-20 picks in the 1st round.

No one is saying that if you pick someone at 3 compared to 15, the player at 3 is GUARANTEED to be better...But there is a much better chance he is going to be better.

Taking our "best player" at 3 PROBABLY gives us a better player than we would get later.

Then again, the player at #3 costs $43 million over 5 years whereas the guy at #20 costs $13 million over 5 years. So, you're paying a lot more for the expectation of a blue chip player and punished tremendously if it doesn't work out that way.

grendel (4/6/2008)
We've been a team with that one "elite" player for several years. I'd rather have a team with good quality across the board and good depth instead. Trade down a couple times in the 1st if we can.

This draft gives us the chance to get an elite player and TONS of good depth...I'd take a superstar and good depth over just "a lot of depth".

If Dorsey is there, we HAVE to take him...Worst case scenario trade lower in the top 10 and get Ellis or Clady, IMO.

To be fair, isn't the idea of every draft to come out of it with an elite player?

Why would someone draft a player in the 1st round, regardless of whether it is the 1st pick or the 32nd, and say "well, he won't be elite, but he will be good enough".....

This is the precise reason that guys like Brian Brohm or Sam Baker have fallen, perhaps out of the 1st round all together. They have shown remarkable consistency and appear to translate quite well to the next level, yet scouts appear to be uninterested. They may not have the flashiness that screams "ELITE", but they are just shy and should have long and successful NFL careers.

Scott24Falcons (4/6/2008)
I'm with you on this one.  I keep weighing out the different scenarios in my mind, but I'm to the point where these next 3 weeks can't get here soon enough.

I'm with you on that man, I've NEVER been so excited for a draft. And GTA4 comes out shortly after!

BillyWitchDoctor (4/6/2008)
Scott24Falcons (4/6/2008)
I'm with you on this one.  I keep weighing out the different scenarios in my mind, but I'm to the point where these next 3 weeks can't get here soon enough.

I'm with you on that man, I've NEVER been so excited for a draft. And GTA4 comes out shortly after!

I keep forgetting about that.  I haven't bought a new 360 game in months, but I'll definitely be getting that.

jdu00743 (4/6/2008)
If we do trade down, I really hope we don't trade down past about 8...I am all about stockpiling draft picks, but I really feel like we need to get one REAL top notch player out of this draft.

I disagree.  Looking at years past, it is very, very common to see top notch players come out of the first three rounds.  We got Norwood in round three, Drew Brees was a second round player, etc.  It becomes a bit more of a crapshoot once you get past pick 8 (in this draft) BUT with more high picks, you have a higher probability of finding a diamond. 

thamill (4/7/2008)
jdu00743 (4/6/2008)

I disagree. Looking at years past, it is very,very common to see top notch players come out of the first three rounds. We got Norwood in round three, Drew Brees was a second round player, etc. It becomes a bit more of a crapshoot once you get past pick 8 (in this draft) BUT with more high picks, you have a higher probability of finding a diamond.

I don't necessarily view Norwood or Brees as elite players.....

L.Rover (4/7/2008)
thamill (4/7/2008)
jdu00743 (4/6/2008)

I disagree. Looking at years past, it is very,very common to see top notch players come out of the first three rounds. We got Norwood in round three, Drew Brees was a second round player, etc. It becomes a bit more of a crapshoot once you get past pick 8 (in this draft) BUT with more high picks, you have a higher probability of finding a diamond.

Brees brought the Saints to the NFCCG in his first year.  He was pretty good for the Chargers before that too.  Do you consider Gaines Adams an elite player?  How about Cadillac Williams?  How about Cedric Benson?  Would you argue that any of these top five picks have been more effective at their position than Brees?

thamill (4/7/2008)

Brees brought the Saints to the NFCCG in his first year. He was pretty good for the Chargers before that too. Do you consider Gaines Adams an elite player? How about Cadillac Williams? How about Cedric Benson? Would you argue that any of these top five picks have been more effective at their position than Brees?

No, I don't consider any of those names elite players (although they are all young, and nothing is saying they absolutely could not become elite players, especially Gaines Adams). I also never implied that a top 5 pick would certainly become an elite player, and that goes for this upcoming draft class as well.

However, if I were to make a list of truly elite players at each position, QB would not include Drew Brees, and RB would not include Jerious Norwood. Ironically, at QB, it would certainly include Tom Brady, a 6th round pick.

My initial comment was only to refute yours about it being "very, very common to find top notch players come out of the first three rounds". I assumed that you were using 'top notch' to be synonymous with 'elite'. I would certainly include Drew Brees and Jerious Norwood in any list of 'solid' or 'above-average' players at their respective position, but far from elite. It is also outlandish to suggest that it is 'very, very common' to find anything more than serviceable players in the first three rounds. Even the mighty Patriots, who have been very successful through the draft, struggle to find elite talent in any round.