Arkansas Cancels Texas Game

robbyb03

AUSTIN, Texas -- Arkansas is bumping Texas from its 2009 schedule so that the Razorbacks can play Texas A&M in the start of a new series with the Aggies.

The Longhorns and Razorbacks, set to meet Sept. 13 in Austin, announced Friday that their postponed game in Fayetteville might not be rescheduled until 2013 or later.

Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long said that adding Texas A&M to its 2009 schedule gave the Razorbacks 13 games, forcing the school to remove one from its nonconference schedule.

"While it is unfortunate that we will have to postpone the return game in the Texas series, we felt that it was important to seize the window of opportunity to secure a long-term series with Texas A&M," Long said.

Texas holds a 55-21 advantage in matchups with the Razorbacks. The first meeting was in 1894.

The Longhorns also announced Friday the completion of their 2009 and 2010 schedules. Texas will add a three-game series with Wyoming beginning in 2009, and home games against Louisiana-Monroe in 2009 and Florida Atlantic in 2010.

Texas will travel to Wyoming on Sept. 12, 2009, and the Cowboys will play in Austin on Sept. 11, 2010, and Sept. 1, 2012.

Wyoming athletic director Tom Burman said he believed the Texas game in Wyoming would be the "biggest game in the history of War Memorial Stadium."

"We are extremely excited to bring one of the premier football programs in the country to our fans," Burman said.

robbyb03 (4/6/2008)
AUSTIN, Texas -- Arkansas is bumping Texas from its 2009 schedule so that the Razorbacks can play Texas A&M in the start of a new series with the Aggies.

The Longhorns and Razorbacks, set to meet Sept. 13 in Austin, announced Friday that their postponed game in Fayetteville might not be rescheduled until 2013 or later.

Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long said that adding Texas A&M to its 2009 schedule gave the Razorbacks 13 games, forcing the school to remove one from its nonconference schedule.

"While it is unfortunate that we will have to postpone the return game in the Texas series, we felt that it was important to seize the window of opportunity to secure a long-term series with Texas A&M," Long said.

Texas holds a 55-21 advantage in matchups with the Razorbacks. The first meeting was in 1894.

The Longhorns also announced Friday the completion of their 2009 and 2010 schedules. Texas will add a three-game series with Wyoming beginning in 2009, and home games against Louisiana-Monroe in 2009 and Florida Atlantic in 2010.

Texas will travel to Wyoming on Sept. 12, 2009, and the Cowboys will play in Austin on Sept. 11, 2010, and Sept. 1, 2012.

Wyoming athletic director Tom Burman said he believed the Texas game in Wyoming would be the "biggest game in the history of War Memorial Stadium."

"We are extremely excited to bring one of the premier football programs in the country to our fans," Burman said.

Petrino knows he'll get his ##### handed to him!!!!!

Imagine that. A SEC team backing out of a tough Non-conference game.:P If you are in the best conference, then you should be afraid to play one of the top teams in another conference. You SEC lovers always say teams from other conferences don't play tough schedules, and then your teams run away.

mcride (4/11/2008)
Imagine that. A SEC team backing out of a tough Non-conference game.:P If you are in the best conference, then you should be afraid to play one of the top teams in another conference. You SEC lovers always say teams from other conferences don't play tough schedules, and then your teams run away.
Texas A&M is usually ranked unless i'm mistaken, or is that Texas Tech?

mcride (4/11/2008)

sorry but you really don't understand what is happening here.. a&m and arkansas has a great history there.. and they aren't running away from anyone.. arkansas is not afraid to play the best teams in other conferences.. they faces usc in a home and home series.. if they were the ducking type that would not have happened.

GEORGIAfan (4/11/2008)
SacFalcFan (4/11/2008)
actually i like this move on their behalf.. i miss the old southwest conference games.. i loved watching arkansas-a&m games.

SWC was like SEC jr, but then the Death Penalty destroyed that

Actually what destroyed it was what fulmer did to bama, they started to tell on each other.. they were all guilty, but they turned each other in.. that ruined the conference.. it killed itself from within..

SacFalcFan (4/11/2008)
GEORGIAfan (4/11/2008)
SacFalcFan (4/11/2008)
actually i like this move on their behalf.. i miss the old southwest conference games.. i loved watching arkansas-a&m games.

SWC was like SEC jr, but then the Death Penalty destroyed that

Actually what destroyed it was what fulmer did to bama, they started to tell on each other.. they were all guilty, but they turned each other in.. that ruined the conference.. it killed itself from within..

**** that sucks. well i still wish the place was around. it would have been real cool to have an SWC and SEC, plus i think they would have been the top 2 conferences.