This draft is about depth...

FalconDawg

and I don't mean Falcons roster depth.

Cards on the table, the Atlanta Falcons have many varied and glaring needs.

In about three weeks the next opportunity for this team to improve itself will arrive. On April 26-27 somewhere around 11 pro prospects will be picked by the Falcons braintrust. If trades are made there may be less with the option of improving position at certian points but let's say no trades are made.

The top three needs, as I see them, OT, QB, DT in no particular order.  Of the eleven, our first three choices should be involve these three positions.

Now, about the depth;

My research shows that 11 teams, including Atlanta will be looking for a OT.  Atlanta, Miami, Oakland, New England, Carolina, Chicago, Minnesota, Houston, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Green Bay.  Naturaly, not all eleven teams will take a OT the first time through but lets say 4 do, not counting the Falcons.

The top eleven OT prospects in no particular order.  Jake Long, Chris Williams, Jeff Otah, Ryan Clady, Sam Baker, Carl Nicks, Anthony Collins, Gosder Cherilus, Mike McGlynn, Brandon Keith, Tony Hills.

Take Long, Williams, Otah, and Clady off the board...that sill leaves Baker, Nicks, Collins, and Cherilus.  I think there is at least one prospect there with starting talent.  Conclusion: Falcons will pass on a OT in the first round, to be first selection of two second round picks.

Three teams including the Falcons have a need at QB in this draft.  Atlanta, Chicago, and Baltimore. Perhaps even Kansas City so lets include them as well.

Top QB prospects; Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Brian Brohm, and Chad Henne in no particular order. 

If we pass on Ryan at #3 he IS gone. that leaves Flacco, Brohm, and Henne.  It is my opinion that no matter who we draft a QB he gets no more than spot time on the field this season.  If you have read some of my other post you may know that I am a beliver that any talented QB can win if given the system, tools, and protection that will allow him to win.  At this point in time none of the three... system, tools, or protection are a given in Atlanta.  $35+ million dollars for a QB at #3 is a very big investment, and again, in my opinion a reach for the Falcons at this time. A reach not because of Ryans ability but because of the Falcons inability to protect him.  Of all the "between a rock and a hard place" senerios the Falcons face this off season... this is the most critical.  In the long term the Falcons CAN NOT afford to draft Ryan or any OB at #3 because he may not be healthy enough for long enough to justify the salary and cap hit.

Finally the need a DT.  Seven teams have a need at DT; Atlanta, Cincinnati, New Orleans, Denver, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, and Jacksonville. Notice here that two division rivals are shopping for the same position.

Top seven DT prospects; Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, Kentwan Balmer, Marcus Harrison, Dre Moore, Demario Pressley, and Letroy Guion in no particular order.  After Ellis and Dorsey the quality of talent at this position drops off markedly in my opinion.  This factor along with the fact that facing either Dorsey or Ellis twice a season is not an idea I don't care to imagine.  With the #3 we strengthen our team and keep a weapon out of the hands of division rivals.

These are only 3 of the 11 selections the Falcons have, imagine 8 more picks and we are only in the 3rd round.  

carl nicks is the best bet for right tackle or just move him to guard and let clabo play tackle

everybody seem's to have forgot about renardo foster i know he had a injury but when he was in  he did a good job

i would like to get dorsey or ellis and red bryant would be a good pick up to put next to either one of them

Excellent post. I feel the same way, about the talent at the three positions. That's why I really favor picking Dorsey with our top pick, or trading down if he and J Long are both gone. Other quality OT's can still be had early in the second.... guys that would be mid to low first-rounders in any other year where the depth isn't so protracted.

Keeping a player away from Division opponents has to be the very last consideration when choosing a player in the draft, however. It may cross somebody's mind, but I doubt if it has ever been a serious factor in making a choice. Way too many other variables to consider.

Other than Ryan, I still feel that Brian Brohm is a top-notch QB, and worth a high pick. I'd love to see him slide to the Falcons early in the second round, but my guy tells me somebody in the 20-28 slots will draft him. And my gut is rarely wrong. It knows a lot about stuff other guts can't even comprehend.

I understand your point PappyDawg, about keeping talent away from a division rival.

However any team that hopes to be a consistant winner has got to win their division. Looking at Carolina, New Orleans and that other team, the kind of speed provided by Dorsey or Ellis and Aberham would do wonders as far as keeping the games winnable.  Other than Breese the QB situation on the other two teams would be effected greatly by a strong pass rush. With Anderson stuffing the run and a LB crew that can fill the gaps we are just a player or two from becoming as force to be reckoned with. 

My vote is the OL. We've got a pretty good tandum of runners, so lets give them some holes to run through, and while were at it maybe a little protection for Redman. Wow! now that would be a change.

Anyway, if we go DL I would choose Dorsey.

If we pass on Ryan at #3 he IS gone. that leaves Flacco, Brohm, and Henne.  It is my opinion that no matter who we draft a QB he gets no more than spot time on the field this season.  If you have read some of my other post you may know that I am a beliver that any talented QB can win if given the system, tools, and protection that will allow him to win.  At this point in time none of the three... system, tools, or protection are a given in Atlanta.  $35+ million dollars for a QB at #3 is a very big investment, and again, in my opinion a reach for the Falcons at this time. A reach not because of Ryans ability but because of the Falcons inability to protect him.  Of all the "between a rock and a hard place" senerios the Falcons face this off season... this is the most critical.  In the long term the Falcons CAN NOT afford to draft Ryan or any OB at #3 because he may not be healthy enough for long enough to justify the salary and cap hit.

While i agree with alot of what your saying to a degree, answer this for me. When do we address the QB situation? You even said it in your post the teams that would like to address the Qb position and don't think you mentioned possibly carolina. But anyway waiting till the second round to wait to see who falls to us to me is as big of gamble as taking Ryan at three. Maybe Henne will be there but please tell me why everyone thinks he is going to be so successful, he is the least mobile QB in this draft and kinda short in stature(lots of balls being batted down, less able to see over the o-line)

I don't buy the o-line argument at all, by the time lets say Ryan is ready to play do you not think we will have our o-line issues ironed out. We have a ga-zillion picks to upgrade our o-line not to mention we have some players coming back from injury that could turn out to be very good. Most of your o-lines in the nfl were built from round 2 on.

Finally if you say Ryan is going to get killed, then answer this for me what are we going to do when Redman goes out the second game of the season. I believe we have no choice but take the most nfl ready QB in this draft. And that would not be flacco, josh johnson, woodson.  

I understand what your saying Andy. I have went over our QB situation from head to toe and I believe there is very little difference in the first 4 maybe 5 to be chosen. We cannot possibly know which QB could step in and do the job if Redman go's down. I believe our new scheme on offense is run first which will require a better OL than last year.