My personal opinion on this years' QBs.

Kayoh

Okay, this isn't me trying to say that what I say is final. This is just me putting my opinion out there.

Matt Ryan: The first word that comes to my mind when I think of Matt Ryan is overrated. I can honestly say that Ryan's overrated-ness is mostly due to Mike Mayock talking about him like he's the next Dan Marino/Peyton Manning. I don't get that at all.

Peyton Manning threw 1 INT every 41 or so Attempts in college and 1 TD every 15 or so.

Matt Ryan threw 1 INT every 36 or so Attempts in college and 1 TD every 24 or so.

That's ridiculous. Ryan's career Comp PCT? 60.00%. Manning's? 62.85%.

Matty Ice isn't even that accurate. He is an erratic passer, he struggles throwing deep, and a more appropriate comparison would be a less accurate, faster version of Chad Pennington. When he tries to throw deep, his passes flutter and that's when he throws his interceptions. Do you guys really want to have to laugh when he throws a 40 yard Hail Mary like you all did when you saw Joey do it? Because that's something that would probably happen.

Just say No to Matt Ryan. I honestly can't stand how much Mike Mayock likes him, because most of his other opinions are reasonably good IMO.

Brian Brohm: My personal #1 QB. His arm strength isn't anything special, but he's ridiculously accurate. NFLDraftScout.com compares him to Drew Brees, and that's a very good thing in my opinion. He's the definition of a franchise QB. He has the accuracy, he has the arm strength to make every throw, and he is the unquestioned leader in the huddle. The thing that really separates him from the other top-tier QBs is his work ethic. Brian Brohm will out-work every single other prospect that he will be drafted in the range of(Ryan, Flacco, Henne) and he is extremely intelligent. Some people at Louisville(including staff) said that he knows the playbook as well as his coaches, if not better. I would love it if we could get him in between 5 and 10, given a trade down to a team like NY(DMC), BAL(Ryan), or CIN(Ellis/Gholston).

Chad Henne: Just no. He's alright, but read this:

Compares To: JOEY HARRINGTON-Atlanta...Henne is a good mechanic with the arm strength to air it out, but he needs to do a better job of timing throws, as he tends to hold on to the ball too long. He will get "happy feet" when pressured and run too early, but he lacks good ball-security skills and that has led to 14 fumbles in 39 games. He lacks ideal trajectory on his passes, as he will short-arm often, leading to 30 interceptions and 138 other passes deflected by the opposition. Like Harrington, he is an erratic performer, who can look sensational one minute, but tries to do too much and gets caught with the ball in his hands. Any general manager daring to consider him a first-round target will soon see himself on the unemployment line. Henne has too many of Harrington's deficiencies to be considered a franchise quarterback.

That's all I need to know to Just Say No.

Joe Flacco: He has a strong arm. Whoop-de-doo. Some compare him to Ben Roethlisberger, some compare him to Derek Anderson. I don't know who he reminds me of, but I think Derek Anderson is kind of close. Flacco was in the same division as Josh Johnson(DI-AA) and he didn't even come close to dominating the way Johnson did. I suppose if TD thinks we should take him, that I would trust him to turn him into the next great QB, but I wouldn't be jumping up and down. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being using our #3 overall to draft Matt Ryan, 10 being Brian Brohm dropping to our 3rd round pick and us taking him there, I'd say that drafting Flacco would be about a 6 for me.

Andre Woodson: I actually like Woodson, but he takes WAYYYY too many sacks to play in Atlanta. Maybe Cincinnati, Indianapolis, New England, New Orleans, Jacksonville, San Diego, or Washington. Somewhere with an incredible O-line. Not here, though. Sorry, Andre.

Josh Johnson: My favorite player in the entire draft, hands down. If I could choose any one player for Atlanta to walk away from the draft with, it would be Josh Johnson. Not because "OMG HEZ JUSS LIEK MIKE VICK!!!", but because he has gotten the most potential of any QB in the draft by a wide margin. His completion percentage in college was 68%. His TD:INT ratio was 113:15. His YPA(Yards Per Attempt) was 9.1, the best of any QB in this draft, regardless of division/conference. He's got a great sense of timing, he's another of those unquestioned leaders in the huddle, and he just brings (and I use this word with definite caution nowadays)electricity to the field as soon as he steps into the huddle. If you're not sure about him, watch the East-West Shrine Game. He hit somebody's hands on every. Single. Throw.

look for ryan to fall to the teens. carolina or chicago will pick him.

some say KC...they want to see what they have in brodie croyle.

some say the ravens...they have McNair and troy smith.

some even say the jets...I just don't think so when they kept pennington.

I think the panthers because confidence is fading in delhome

I think the bears for obvious reasons.

If none of them, he will fall down to tampa bay.

Matthew Pritts (4/6/2008)
Welcome to Atlanta (4/6/2008)[Brian Brohm:His arm strength isn't anything special.
Incorrect statement.Brohm has the 2nd strongest arm of anyone in this draft, right after Flacco.

Completely disagree about Brohm. Andre Woodson and the dreaded Chad Henne both have better arm strength than Brian Brohm.

Brohm has to really step into it to get zip on his balls.  He is a good system QB. 

Josh Johnson represents great value because he could be had outside of the first two rounds.  The issue with Johnson is arm strength.  He just doesn't get much on his throws. 

I definitly like Flacco the best if we can get him in the second, Johnson would be nice if we can get him in the third.  I'm not a Henne fan either.

maxatlanta (4/6/2008)
Brohm has to really step into it to get zip on his balls. He is a good system QB.

Josh Johnson represents great value because he could be had outside of the first two rounds. The issue with Johnson is arm strength. He just doesn't get much on his throws.

I definitly like Flacco the best if we can get him in the second, Johnson would be niceif we can get him in the third. I'm not a Henne fan either.

Actually, you're kind of wrong there, too. One of the common "negatives" that I've been seeing about Johnson is that sometimes he puts too much on the ball and needs to throw a little lighter to make for easier catches. He didn't throw very well at the combine, but so what? He throws as far as he needs to in games, that's for sure. That's all that matters, anyways. In-game. And in-game, Johnson is the best QB available.

L.Rover (4/6/2008)
Welcome to Atlanta (4/6/2008)[Brian Brohm:His arm strength isn't anything special.
Incorrect statement.Brohm has the 2nd strongest arm of anyone in this draft, right after Flacco.

Completely disagree about Brohm.

Look at this:

Flacco threw 59 MPH at the Combine

Brohm threw 58 MPH.

Wanna tell me he doesn't have arm strength, now?

L.Rover (4/6/2008)

Look at this:

Brohm threw 58 MPH.

Where'd you get those numbers? I've got to see the site that lists MPH for QBs.

Look at this:

Brohm threw 58 MPH.

First of all, I want to see a link, because I have never seen those numbers.

Secondly, I was judging arm strength based on the ability to throw the deep ball.

John Smoltz can throw 95 mph, but I bet Jeff Francoeur can throw the ball further.

Welcome to Atlanta (4/6/2008)
L.Rover (4/6/2008)

Look at this:

Brohm threw 58 MPH.

Where'd you get those numbers? I've got to see the site that lists MPH for QBs.
Ask Grendel.

He posted them right after the Combine.

will this work?

Norwood32 (4/6/2008)
I don't see how Chad Henne is like Joey Harrington.

i had a very long post about this, but i got a mother f**king error message. you have no idea how often that happens to me after i write a long, thought out post. it drives me INSANE.

anyways, ill try and re-write it.

he does not handle pressure well, just like harrington doesnt. he can get flustered, and takes sacks (89 in his career) and forces a lot of throws and makes mistakes (37 ints, 138 pass deflections) and needs to learn to throw the ball away more.

similarly woodson takes a lot of sacks (118), but doesnt turn the ball over as much as henne does. but because he takes a lot of sacks, it is very clear that he needs to learn to throw the ball away, just like henne.

henne reminds me of harrington as far his problems handling pressure go. not only that, but he can look fantastic one minute and then mystify you with a mistake he just made, despite his intelligence and football savy. he is streaky, not consistent. and i really have no idea where the idea of him being consistent came from, because having watched him i certainly cant support that crazy idea.

also, for all the flak woodson takes for his throwing motion, henne doesnt have an ideal motion either. he is quick to set up his throw, but holds on to the ball for too long, and that hurts his throwing trajectory and has a lot to do with his high number of deflections (138). not to mention he doesnt have great timing on some of his throws. similarly, woodson needs work on his throwing motion also, but has made stark improvements in this regard since the senior bowl. mcshay touched on it in an article someone posted on this board saying, regarding the hitch in his throwing motion "it was barely noticable" at his pro day.

all of the flaws i am discussing i truly believe are coachable, but it is ridiculous to practically crucify woodson for flaws that he also shares with henne. how can so many people talk about woodsons high number of sacks, and that he needs to throw the ball away more, but not talk about hennes lesser problem taking sacks, but significantly larger problem turning the ball over?

in addition, woodson played a lot out of the shotgun, and needs work on his footwork. but henne needs to improve his footwork also, along with some of his fundamentals and mechanics. just like woodson. do they have the same problems they need to rectify? no. do they need to improve similar areas of their game? absolutely. you wouldnt know it from reading posts about the two players on this board though.

neither player is very consistent, but woodson is more consistent than henne is. henne's performance fluctuates more than woodsons does week to week, and even in the middle of the game in my opinion. both players have a tendency to trust their arms too much, and make a throw that they shouldnt. that contributes a lot to their lack of consistency. both need to learn to make better reads and progressions, as henne can tend to stare down his primary reciever too long, and woodson doesnt always make his progressions as quick as he should, both problems result in sacks and turnovers.

however, as i said earlier, i believe all these flaws are coachable. each player will very likely spend a year on the bench, and woodsons upside is considerably higher than hennes is. im not saying woodson should go earlier, im just saying i personally like him more than i like henne. woodson needs work on his throwing motion, but he has made substantial strides in doing so in just a matter of weeks, and i believe musgrave would be an ideal tutor for him.

here is a breakdown of negatives for each player imo:

Woodson:

- Takes Too Many Sacks/Holds Ball Too Long/Too Patient?

- Needs To Throw The Ball Away More

- Can Force Throws At Times/Too Confident In His Arm?

- Throwing Motion Needs Work

- Needs To Improve Footwork/Played A Lot In Shotgun

- Needs To Improve Ability To Read Coverages/Make Quicker Reads

- Could Be More Consistent

Henne:

- Forces Too Many Throws

- Holds Ball Too Long/Takes Sacks

- Inconsistent: Brilliant One Minute, Mystifying Mistake The Next

- Inconsistent Accuracy

- Struggles When Faced With Pressure

- Stares Down Receivers Too Often

- Sloppy Fundamentals/Needs To Improve Footwork/Mechanics

They both hold the ball too long, resulting in more sacks and interceptions. they both need work on their fundamentals and mechanics, though woodson probably has more work to do regarding footwork and his throwing motion, but he has made a lot of improvement from what i can tell. both could be more consistent, especially henne. again, i dont know who started the "henne is consistent rumor" but it spread like wildfire, and i dont think it is true at all. both can force throws, woodson because he could be too confident in his arm, and henne for a variety of reasons.

i have said this a lot, but i dont think any of these flaws couldnt be corrected/improved with good coaching, and we have a good qb coach in musgrave, so i wont be concerned if we end up with either of these guys. but i just thought id compare the flaws of these two players (at least in my opinion) and put them up next to eachother, and try and discuss why so many people have problems with woodsons flaws, when a few of them are shared by chad henne, and are therefore ignored.

funny that pritts mentioned an agenda, because thats one reason it might not be talked about so often. but i thought id bring this funny observation to more peoples attention.

EDIT: i tried to post this about 3 times, and i lost a super long post and would have lost this again if i hadnt copied it before i tried to post it. that got super frustrating. thats why i posted "will this work?" because it kept giving me an error message.

Flacco was in the same division as Josh Johnson(DI-AA) and he didn't even come close to dominating the way Johnson did.

Flacco was in the same division as Johnson the way Henne was in the same division as Brennan.

Johnson's numbers were impressive, no doubt. But they came against not just I-AA competition but I-AA mid-major competition.

Flacco led I-AA in pass attempts and threw only five interceptions. His int. pct. was second only to Johnson, who played against mostly non-scholarship programs.

To the know it all who says Johnson is the best QB prospect in the draft-  it seems that every single NFL team and beat writer disagrees with you.

To those who think Brohm has a strong arm, those MPH numbers are misleading.  Flacco can throw lasers on the move and off his back foot (for example).  Brohm has to have time and room to step into it in order to get that much on it.  He isn't weak armed, but he isn't strong armed either.

The reason Johnson is considered a project is because of the competition he faced-- which was significantly weaker than what Flacco faced (which was signficantly weaker than what Brohm faced).

Flacco is the best value because he will cost less than Brohm but has the highest ceiling of them all.  He may have faced weaker competition, but he led his team to the championship game, put up huge numbers, is credited as being a great leader and extremely coachable, and of course has the best physical tools of any of the QBs.  Those who won't consider him a top QB prospect are basicly saying that no small school QB should be considered a top prospect.  I really hope we get him.

maxatlanta (4/7/2008)
To the know it all who says Johnson is the best QB prospect in the draft- it seems that every single NFL team and beat writer disagrees with you.

To those who think Brohm has a strong arm, those MPH numbers are misleading. Flacco can throw lasers on the move and off his back foot (for example). Brohm has to have time and room to step into it in order to get that much on it. He isn't weak armed, but he isn't strong armed either.

The reason Johnson is considered a project is because of the competition he faced-- which was significantly weaker than what Flacco faced (which was signficantly weaker than what Brohm faced).

Flacco is the best value because he will cost less than Brohm but has the highest ceiling of them all. He may have faced weaker competition, but he led his team tothe championship game, put up huge numbers, is credited as being a great leader and extremely coachable, and of course has the best physical tools of any of the QBs. Those who won't consider him a top QB prospect are basicly saying that no small school QB should be considered a top prospect. I really hope we get him.

I underlined the two comments that I didn't quite understand:

If Flacco is drafted in the early 2nd, and Brohm falls to the late 1st, perhaps separated by less than 10 picks, how will Flacco cost less? At that point, we are talking a negligible amount of money, as far as draft picks go. That reasoning is invalid.

Secondly, to say that Flacco has the best physical tools of anyone is a bit of an overstatement. He may have the strongest arm, but many feel that is very, very overrated as far as judging a QB goes. None of Flacco's other physical traits have stood out whatsoever, and he comes off as a bit scrawny in the pocket, especially compared to Andre Woodson, who also has a very, very strong arm.

In all, I don't consider Flacco anywhere near a top QB prospect. He has so much to prove, and faces such a high learning curve in the NFL that it would be foolish for this franchise to put their hopes on him.

L.Rover (4/7/2008)
maxatlanta (4/7/2008)
To the know it all who says Johnson is the best QB prospect in the draft- it seems that every single NFL team and beat writer disagrees with you.

To those who think Brohm has a strong arm, those MPH numbers are misleading. Flacco can throw lasers on the move and off his back foot (for example). Brohm has to have time and room to step into it in order to get that much on it. He isn't weak armed, but he isn't strong armed either.

Flacco is the best value because he will cost less than Brohm but has the highest ceiling of them all. He may have faced weaker competition, but he led his team tothe championship game, put up huge numbers, is credited as being a great leader and extremely coachable, and of course has the best physical tools of any of the QBs. Those who won't consider him a top QB prospect are basicly saying that no small school QB should be considered a top prospect. I really hope we get him.

I underlined the two comments that I didn't quite understand:

If Flacco is drafted in the early 2nd, and Brohm falls to the late 1st, perhaps separated by less than 10 picks, how will Flacco cost less? At that point, we are talking a negligible amount of money, as far as draft picks go. That reasoning is invalid.

Secondly, to say that Flacco has the best physical tools of anyone is a bit of an overstatement. He may have the strongest arm, but many feel that is very, very overrated as far as judging a QB goes. None of Flacco's other physical traits have stood out whatsoever, and he comes off as a bit scrawny in the pocket, especially compared to Andre Woodson, who also has a very, very strong arm.

In all, I don't consider Flacco anywhere near a top QB prospect. He has so much to prove, and faces such a high learning curve in the NFL that it would be foolish for this franchise to put their hopes on him.

In your scenario Flacco costs less because we don't have to burn an extra second rounder trading up to select him.  He also costs less $$$.  It's not a "negligible" difference and is completely valid. 

Flacco's other traits do stand out.  He has great mobility, great leadership, great coachability, great in game adjustments, great stats... you are simply choosing to ignore all this.  It's laughable that you call him scrawny, his measurements from the combine:

Height: 62 6 3/8, Weight:  236,  4.78 in the forty