the best quaterbacks in this Draft Imo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Falcon Ace (4/6/2008)
monster (4/6/2008)
Qbsthat are immobilewill take longer to be developed and effective in the Nfl unlike the dual threat qbs

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady vs. Donovan McNabb and Vince Young...

Do you notice a pattern that teams with a Peyton/Brady are quick to get the resources around them because there skill set will render them ineffective without it. Remember how Peyton got beat up against Pittsburgh a few years ago and how Brady got beat up against NY.

However, teams with a Donovan/Brady unfortunately tend to put less value on the other CRITICAL resources because they take for granite that these QB's can get it done regardless because of thier skill set. They procrastinate on getting OL and Recievers solidified which puts all the pressure on the QB. This doesn't and wouldn't happen to a Peyton/Brady but you see it all the time with a Donovan/Young.

DENNIS DIXON?! Are you crazy? Just because we long for a certain running QB behind center, doesn't mean we jump at the chance to grab a poor-man's version of him.

Here is a realistic top 5 of QB's, that I bet would make more sense to people that really follow football.

1. Matt Ryan (he is #1 on EVERYONE'S QB board for a reason.)

2. Brian Brohm

3. Joe Flacco

4. Andre Woodson

5. Chad Henne

Dennis Dixon isn't even being looked at as a QB for many teams; and he's your best QB? Good lord, it's hard to believe you've ever followed football.

Dalton (4/6/2008)
EXACTLY

how good is peyton and tom if a dlinemen broke through the line on everyplay immediatly?

Therein lies the problem.....our QB will be getting the same treatment until the line is solidified.

Our new and future QB better have some wheels, however, he needs to look to pass first and go throught the progressions QUICKLY.

Hey! Did you guys see the quick release on Johnson in the video? No long windup at all. Went straight from the ear hole and out like a dart at pro day.

meich11 (4/6/2008)
DENNIS DIXON?! Are you crazy? Just because we long for a certain running QB behind center, doesn't mean we jump at the chance to grab a poor-man's version of him.

Here is a realistic top 5 of QB's, that I bet would make more sense to people that really follow football.

2. Brian Brohm

3. Joe Flacco

4. Andre Woodson

With all due respect, I rate Dixon as a wild card due to injury but would take a chance on him very late.

I think Josh Johnson provides the best opportunity for us and is the best QB in the draft....seriously. Not "longing for a running, poor mans qb for ykw. These guys are both different. They pass very well and their stats confirm it. They can scoot if necessary but its nowhere near the first option.

It can work

5. Chad Henne

Dennis Dixon isn't even being looked at as a QB for many teams; and he's your best QB? Good lord, it's hard to believe you've ever followed football.

My reply got mixed up in the last quote. I actually meant to say:

With all due respect, I rate Dixon as a wild card due to injury but would take a chance on him very late.

I think Josh Johnson provides the best opportunity for us and is the best QB in the draft....seriously. Not "longing for a running, poor mans qb for ykw. These guys are both different. They pass very well and their stats confirm it. They can scoot if necessary but its nowhere near the first option.

It can work

meich11 (4/6/2008)

We are the "poor man" right now. We need the best value for the money right now. These QB 's are not the strongest in this draft, i don't think we should waste the money this season on any of the top picks- not in the QB position.

meich11 (4/6/2008)

2. Brian Brohm

3. Joe Flacco

4. Andre Woodson

5. Chad Henne

wanna know something funny, your number 1 quarterback threw 19 int in ONE SEASON

skippy (4/6/2008)
meich11 (4/6/2008)

We are the "poor man" right now. We need the best value for the money right now. These QB 's are not the strongest inthis draft, i don't think we should waste the money this season on any of the top picks- not in the QB position.

Look at the David Garrard situation.......

While i would love to jump on the Josh Johnson bandwagon, I look at the very weak competition he faced and ponder the speed of the NFL gobbling him up and spitting him out. Kinda like colt brennan facing the bulldogs. help me mama

monster (4/6/2008)
From best to worst

Dennis Dixon

Josh Jonson

JoeFlacco

Andre Woodson

I wouldn't want Dixon. Injury issues, not sure how his game translates to the nfl, plus I would rather he just play for the braves.

JJ, well I like that kid a lot, but it looks like we are going to take a qb before his time in the draft. Honestly, I do think he could be a great nfl qb.

Flacco and Woodson. Flacco is more hype than hop. Woodson had great stats, but never played worth a crap when I was watching him play. Of the guys on this list, he is probably the most likely to fall to us.

Then again, I would still rather have Brohm in the second round.

Andy (4/6/2008)
While i would love to jump on the Josh Johnson bandwagon, I look at the very weak competition he faced and ponder the speed of the NFL gobbling him up and spitting him out. Kinda like colt brennan facing the bulldogs. help me mama

And Flacco at Delaware State......get mama to help with that one also

Flacco couldnt beat out tyler palko but hes a top prospect this year?No sir.

NEWARK The goal, said K.C. Keeler, is still to find a quarterback the old-fashioned way.

The Delaware football coach says he'd still rather sign a QB out of high school, teach him the system and have him in the program for four or five years.

But with three scholarship signal-callers on the roster, Keeler was happy to pick up another I-A transfer when he announced on Tuesday that Joe Flacco has transferred from Pittsburgh to Delaware.

The 6-foot-6, 220-pounder was the second-stringer behind Panthers' star Tyler Palko when he left. He becomes the third I-A quarterback transfer in Keeler's four seasons with the Blue Hens.

Andy Hall (Georgia Tech) started for two seasons while senior Sonny Riccio (Missouri) is beginning his second year as Delaware's starter.

The Hens have lost two high school recruits at the position in the last two years.

In 2003, David Shinskie signed with Delaware only to decide to play pro baseball instead. Then, last winter, the Hens thought they were going to land Marquel Neaseman until he got a last-minute offer from Division I-A Central Florida.

"I think if we had gotten a freshman quarterback, I don't know how interested we were going to be in taking a transfer," said Keeler. "Every year is a little bit different but we're hoping to really stockpile freshman quarterbacks, let them learn the system and work their way up.

"But we just walked into a bad situation when it comes to quarterbacks. We're still working through those things."

Flacco's situation is a little unusual in that first-year Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt would not release him from his scholarship.

That means that not only will Flacco not be eligible to play for Delaware this season but he'll have to pay his own tuition this year. He can practice with the team, which he did on Tuesday.

Starting in 2006, he'll have two seasons of eligibility remaining. Current backup QB Ryan Carty will be a senior next fall while third-stringer Jarryd Moyer will be a redshirt sophomore.

Stuck behind Palko, who is a junior, Flacco had told people since the spring that he wanted to transfer. But his move wasn't finalized until he didn't report for the start of Pitt's camp on Aug. 10.

"Joe Flacco does not want to be here, and he is not here," Wannstedt told reporters. "So, that's a pretty clear message about his status."

Flacco's departure leaves the Panthers with only two true freshmen backing up Palko.

Keeler said there wasn't much Delaware could do if Pitt wouldn't release Flacco from his scholarship.

"Everyone handles their situations differently," said Keeler. "I'm not going to tell Pittsburgh how to do their job. I can understand they wanted to put him in a situation that they would release him in the spring so that way they had a No. 2 quarterback.

"Sometimes when a new staff comes in there's a little more latitude given because you didn't recruit that player. But that's their business so we're going to abide by what their rules were."

Flacco was a two-time New Jersey All-Group II, two-time All-South Jersey, and two-time South Jersey All-Group II selection at Audobon High School. He threw for 5,137 yards in his career, including 471 in one game.

Delaware had recruited Flacco for a while coming out of high school. But he eventually became a Division I-A-caliber recruit. He was ranked as the No. 39 senior quarterback by Rivals.com in 2003 two places behind Shinskie.

"He has a good release and a great arm," Keeler said about Flacco. "Now he has a chance to learn our system. This is a sophisticated offense that puts a lot on the quarterback.

"That's why we are able to attract great quarterbacks because they want to play in this kind of system. But it's nothing that you can just jump into."

Sports editor

bigduke633 (4/6/2008)
Flacco couldnt beat out tyler palko but hes a top prospect this year?No sir.

NEWARK The goal, said K.C. Keeler, is still to find a quarterback the old-fashioned way.

The Delaware football coach says he'd still rather sign a QB out of high school, teach him the system and have him in the program for four or five years.

But with three scholarship signal-callers on the roster, Keeler was happy to pick up another I-A transfer when he announced on Tuesday that Joe Flacco has transferred from Pittsburgh to Delaware.

The 6-foot-6, 220-pounder was the second-stringer behind Panthers' star Tyler Palko when he left. He becomes the third I-A quarterback transfer in Keeler's four seasons with the Blue Hens.

Andy Hall (Georgia Tech) started for two seasons while senior Sonny Riccio (Missouri) is beginning his second year as Delaware's starter.

The Hens have lost two high school recruits at the position in the last two years.

In 2003, David Shinskie signed with Delaware only to decide to play pro baseball instead. Then, last winter, the Hens thought they were going to land Marquel Neaseman until he got a last-minute offer from Division I-A Central Florida.

"I think if we had gotten a freshman quarterback, I don't know how interested we were going to be in taking a transfer," said Keeler. "Every year is a little bit different but we're hoping to really stockpile freshman quarterbacks, let them learn the system and work their way up.

"But we just walked into a bad situation when it comes to quarterbacks. We're still working through those things."

Flacco's situation is a little unusual in that first-year Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt would not release him from his scholarship.

That means that not only will Flacco not be eligible to play for Delaware this season but he'll have to pay his own tuition this year. He can practice with the team, which he did on Tuesday.

Starting in 2006, he'll have two seasons of eligibility remaining. Current backup QB Ryan Carty will be a senior next fall while third-stringer Jarryd Moyer will be a redshirt sophomore.

Stuck behind Palko, who is a junior, Flacco had told people since the spring that he wanted to transfer. But his move wasn't finalized until he didn't report for the start of Pitt's camp on Aug. 10.

"Joe Flacco does not want to be here, and he is not here," Wannstedt told reporters. "So, that's a pretty clear message about his status."

Flacco's departure leaves the Panthers with only two true freshmen backing up Palko.

Keeler said there wasn't much Delaware could do if Pitt wouldn't release Flacco from his scholarship.

"Everyone handles their situations differently," said Keeler. "I'm not going to tell Pittsburgh how to do their job. I can understand they wanted to put him in a situation that they would release him in the spring so that way they had a No. 2 quarterback.

"Sometimes when a new staff comes in there's a little more latitude given because you didn't recruit that player. But that's their business so we're going to abide by what their rules were."

Flacco was a two-time New Jersey All-Group II, two-time All-South Jersey, and two-time South Jersey All-Group II selection at Audobon High School. He threw for 5,137 yards in his career, including 471 in one game.

Delaware had recruited Flacco for a while coming out of high school. But he eventually became a Division I-A-caliber recruit. He was ranked as the No. 39 senior quarterback by Rivals.com in 2003 two places behind Shinskie.

"He has a good release and a great arm," Keeler said about Flacco. "Now he has a chance to learn our system. This is a sophisticated offense that puts a lot on the quarterback.

"That's why we are able to attract great quarterbacks because they want to play in this kind of system. But it's nothing that you can just jump into."

Sports editor

Right....cant jump into I-AA. Remember that Harbaugh was Johnson coach at SD. Can't just walk in and play in that system either.

¬ For those of u who want a staionary Qb are stupid because he isnt gonna be able to start for at least another three years and by that time it will be better qbs in the draft that are way more talented than Matt Ryan

For those of you that want a running Qb that can't read defenses and gets locked onto one reciever all the time well thats already been proven not to work(Mike Vick) Taking the most nfl ready Qb in this draft is what makes sense. He would be able to start by the end of this season after our OL gets stabilized. We would have hope for next year. Name me one QB that came out of previous drafts that were considered 100% success. answer none, we have to take a chance.

For those of you that want a running Qb that can't read defenses and gets locked onto one reciever all the time well thats already been proven not to work(Mike Vick) Taking the most nfl ready Qb in this draft is what makes sense. He would be able to start by the end of this season after our OL gets stabilized. We would have hope for next year. Name me one QB that came out of previous drafts that were considered 100% success. answer none, we have to take a chance.

Just ignorant a perfect example of a running qb that can read a defense is Josh Johnson 1 interception a Stationary Qb that cant read a defense is Matt Ryan 19 interceptions

Andy (4/6/2008)
¬ For those of u who want a staionary Qb are stupid because he isnt gonna be able to start for at least another three years and by that time it will be better qbs in the draft that are way more talented than Matt Ryan

You have to understand....its not that I would want MV all over again, but I would love to have those abilities that made him effective along with the accuracy and leadership to be a total package QB. Doesn't have to run a 4.2 but needs to be able to run for his life when all options are exhausted.