Some favorite moments with Munson.

SacFalcFan

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/05/08

A number of Larry Munson's friends and fans shared their favorite memories with the AJC's Tony Barnhart in 2006.

By VERNE LUNDQUIST

In 2002, we were at Auburn when David Greene threw the pass to Michael Johnson to win the game and put Georgia in the SEC championship. As soon as I made the call, I thought: "I wonder what Larry Munson said?"

Sure enough, we soon had Larry's call of the play, and of course, it was just priceless.

I can't think of anyone else who is associated with his school more closely than Larry is with Georgia. He makes no bones about the fact that he is pulling for Georgia. He sees the game through a passionate fan's eye.

When I'm in the car on a Saturday night driving back to my hotel, I make it a point to listen to Larry if Georgia is playing a night game. I just love his distinctive style.

Larry is a treasure who all of us can enjoy.

Lundquist has called the SEC Game of the Week on CBS since 2001.

By KEITH JACKSON

It's amazing how much energy and adrenaline Larry still spends during a broadcast. And after 40 seasons, he is ready to go with the next sun-up. But then it's only 40. He's still limber and chasing those two ol' boys from that neck of the woods - Jackson and [Ernie] Harwell.

Keep it going, Larry. You'll never have more fun!

Jackson, a native of Roopville, retired from ABC after January's national championship game. He lives in Sherman Oaks, Calif.

By RICK FRANZMAN

From "Run, Lindsay, Run" to "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" to "Sugar Falling Out of the Sky, " Larry has been the most visible instrument connecting the Bulldog Nation from Vince Dooley to Mark Richt - an incredible 40 years.

There are a lot of long-term, beloved figures who have taken on institutional status. But Larry is an icon, not because of the joy, but because of the pain. Larry's anguish in defeat pours through the microphone and connects the Bulldog Nation to an emotion we all feel at once.

At the Georgia-Florida game in 1974, I sat two booths over from Larry. Glynn Harrison danced three-fourths of the length of the field for an apparent go-ahead touchdown and the ensuing celebration literally moved the Gator Bowl.

Then came the flag. The play was nullified. I looked to Larry and he was physically retching. I could see him cursing that horrible yellow flag with the same pain that 35,000 Dog fans in the stands felt at that very moment.

Every Bulldog knows that sometimes, with so much invested in the cause, there will be those moments that devastate us. And every Dawg knows that Larry, who is pure-bred Bulldog, suffers them with us.

Franzman was sports editor of the Red and Black, the UGA student newspaper, in 1974. He lives in Marietta.

By BRAD NESSLER

I still think Larry's "Sugar Falling Out of the Sky" at Auburn in 1982 may be the best single line ever by a football announcer. To me, it's the "Do You Believe in Miracles?" of radio calls.

When I moved to Atlanta 26 years ago, I really didn't know what to make of Larry. I'd never really heard someone use "us" and "them" on an every-play basis. But that's what makes "Muns" special, and that's why Dog fans love him so much.

I don't get the chance to hear him as much as I'd like to, because we sort of run on the same schedule. But when I have an early afternoon game and the Dogs play at night, the first thing I do when I get back home is turn on Munson. There is nothing more enjoyable on the dark ride home.

I still don't know what the heck a hob-nailed boot is.

Nessler, the former voice of the Atlanta Falcons, now calls college football for ABC.

By MATT STINCHCOMB

I will never, ever forget the "hobnail boot" call against Tennessee in 2001. It was the end of a brutal and oppressive drought of losses vs. our neighbors to the north. I can remember the play in my mind's eye with his voice as the narrative sound track.

Larry has withstood the test of time because he is a throwback as a story teller. Somehow he can capture the emotion of the moment and articulate the sentiments of those there at the game and sometimes even those playing in the game.

What better way to describe that victory over Tennessee than with those words? It is perfect to me and I don't even know what a hob-nailed boot is!

Stinchcomb was an academic and football All-American at Georgia.

By DIANE BLOODWORTH

As a naive young woman from rural Georgia, I landed on the UGA campus in the fall of 1978. I quickly learned some of the very important lessons about life at Georgia - the importance of Bulldog football and that the voice of the Dawgs was Larry Munson.

When I hear his voice even now, it takes me back to warm, fall afternoons and hanging "Go Dawgs" sheets out of Brumby Hall as we got ready to cheer the team.

When I think of Larry, it is much more than just one game. It is his lifetime of enthusiasm for the Bulldogs and his distinctive voice. He is truly the voice that everyone associates with our beloved team.

Diane Bloodworth (Georgia '82) is president of PerceptivePro, which recently developed a scouting and game planning system for college and pro football.

By MATT ROBINSON

My favorite moment with Larry, believe it or not, came in 2004 when he was inducted in the Georgia-Florida Hall of Fame here in Jacksonville. I was able to sit next to him on the dais for the entire banquet.

I have always been honored by the fact that I am a part of Georgia football history because Larry Munson spoke my name during a three-year run that resulted in the origination of the Junkyard Dawgs, shaved heads, three bowl games, an SEC championship, a national championship game and a coaching staff that ended the 1976 season minus some hair. Embedded in his voice are the accomplishments of those teams - and all Georgia teams since 1966 - in the minds of Georgia fans forever.

Most people only get to read about history in books. I was able to talk to history and relive some very special moments. It had quite an effect on me.

Former UGA quarterback Matt Robinson, who went on to play 10 years of pro football, lives in Jacksonville.

By BUCK BELUE

My first recollection of Larry Munson is when I was 10 or 11 and my dad took me to the homecoming parade at Georgia. My grandmother lived in Athens and her apartment was right on Milledge Avenue, where the parade would come past.

Larry was sitting in a convertible with a cigar in one hand and a Budweiser in the other. Back then, there was a fad called "streaking" going on. Suddenly here came a streaker, a female, and Larry had the best view of anybody. That is the first time I can remember seeing Larry Munson.

As a youngster and as a player at Georgia, you really can't appreciate what the broadcaster is doing. But now that I am in the business myself, I know how much of himself Larry brings to his work. I really get offended sometimes when people outside the area call him a "homer" and criticize him. They don't understand what Larry Munson is all about, and they never will.

I'm lucky because his voice called what many believe is one of the top 10 plays in college football history (Belue to Lindsay Scott vs. Florida, 1980), and I had a chance to be a part of it. I'm just glad Larry remembered my name and didn't say: "Our guy is back to pass." Nobody could have done it better.

The Georgia people love Larry because they can hear him pouring out his heart and soul on every play. That is what they appreciate most. He is fighting just like the players.

Belue quarterbacked Georgia's 1980 national championship team. He hosts a daily radio show "Buck and Kincade" on 680 The Fan.

By WES DURHAM

Whether or not I had come to Georgia Tech, Larry and I would have still become friends, in part because we had both broadcast Vanderbilt football and basketball games. In Nashville, he could smoke his favorite cigars during the game or on his television sportscast. Now those are reserved for good fishing or Bulldog football.

His wisdom on his profession has helped me a couple of different times in my career. One was moving to Atlanta and working for the Jackets. The second was a couple of years ago when I added the Falcons to my duties. Munson will still claim I have it a lot easier than he did because the Falcons aren't playing in the NFC West anymore. He's right of course. After all, he was traveling from Starkville to Los Angeles.

My respect and admiration for Larry is also for his tenure in this business and his loyalty to the University of Georgia. Men like Larry, my dad [North Carolina's Woody Durham], John Ward [Tennessee], the late Cawood Ledford [Kentucky] and Al Ciraldo [Georgia Tech] are inspirational to today's play-by-play announcer.

Players, coaches and administrators come and go, but we are in the final stages of some great college radio announcers in sports.

Cheers to Larry, and here's to 40 more with the Dawgs.

Wes Durham is the voice of Georgia Tech football and the Falcons.