Mock Draft - Emphasis on Trenches

I think you need to fix the OL and DL before you go after skill players. In that light:

1 - Glenn Dorsey - DT, LSU

I think the first two picks will be Chris Long and Jake Long, so that leaves Dorsey here at 3 for us. Ideally we trade down from this spot, because I just don't like giving this much money to a DT, but if we can't, we can take solace in the fact that there hasn't been a DT prospect like Dorsey in years and DT is a huge need.

2 - Gosder Cherilus - RT, Boston College

Huge OT who looks to be a perfect fit for the RT position. He would've been a legit first round OT in last year's draft but Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, and Jeff Otah push him into the 2nd and we get a steal.

2 - Sam Baker - LT, USC

Another guy who would be a first rounder in any other draft but slips to us here and we get a steal. With Baker and Cherilus we've got our two bookend tackles for the next couple of years. Sam Baker doesn't have the greatest size but he is one of the best technicians in this draft and has quick feet (like Joe Thomas) so he can handle the speed rushers in our division.

2 - Chilo Rachal - G, USC

This pick all but solidifies one of the youngest offensive lines in the NFL that will be great for years to come. From left to right -- Baker, Blalock, Stepanovich/McClure, Rchal and Cherilus will be good for years to come.

3 - Antwan Molden - CB, Eastern Kentucky

Molden is one of the draft's biggest sleepers. He really impressed at the combine with his athleticism and he plays with great technique. We're going to need someone to fill the void left by D. Hall, and Molden could be a steal.

3 - Phillip Wheeler - MLB, Georgia Tech

Can we just admit that Brooking at MLB isn't working? Wheeler is good enough to take over very soon, and I'm being kind of optimistic in hoping he's around at this pick.

4 - Tony Hills - OT, Texas

What a steal this is. I know we already took two OTs, but Hills was a legit 2nd rout LT prospect before he broke his leg. I believe he is expected to make a full recovery too, so he'd be great depth if nothing else.

5 - Davone Bess - WR, Hawaii

Reminds me a lot of Wes Welker in that he runs crisp routes, has great hands, and is almost unstoppable in the slot. Coming from the run and shoot he knows the importance of yards after catch. I just don't know if he's a 5th or 7th rounder. I've been hearing that Ryan Grice-Mullen has emerged as the top rated Hawaii WR, but anyone who watched Hawaii football knows that Bess was dominant. Roddy White-Laurent Robinson-Davone Bess could turn into a great WR trio.

6 - Colt Brennan - QB, Hawaii

Most of you won't like this pick, but I don't care. There are no QBs in this draft I would take over the players we got in the first and second, and I think if you're going to invest a first or second rounder in a prospect you better be sure that they can one day be your franchise QB. We're not risking much by using a 6th rounder on Brennan who has the potential to be a starter one day. He can learn behind Redman and Harrington and take over in 09 or 10 if we don't draft someone really good like Stafford next year.

7 - Haruki Nakamura - S, Cincinnati

If you've seen him play you know that being undersized hasn't hurt him. He's put on 15 pounds since the end of the season and I think he will be a solid special teamer if nothing else.

7 - Marcus Dixon - DE, Howard

Don't know much about him, but I know that he's had some off the field concerns. Despite that, it's only a 7th round pick, and he's got great upside. Potential small-school sleeper?

Welcome to Atlanta (4/6/2008)
I am seriously getting sick of all of these people taking Sam Baker and/or Gosder Cherilus. We shouldn't get either one of them.

any reason why? or just because you dont like them.

i thought it was a great draft for what you aimed to do, which was upgrade the trenches. however i think it would be a much better course of action to get a guy like andre' woodson in the 3rd round than to wait until the 6th to get colt brennan. we already have a developmental guy in dj shock who will have to fight for the #3 spot, why add another developmental guy in? thats just my opinion.

and i like the tony hills pick too. another steal could be breno giacomini in the 5th, hes from louisville and could be a good LT. but i really like tony hills.

for what you tried to do, it was a very good draft. if we could get cherilus and sam baker in the 2nd that would be fabulous, though im not as high on rachal as other people on this board are. good job but i like andre woodson in the 3rd lots more than brennan in the 6th. jmo.

Mr. Offseason (4/6/2008)
I am seriously getting sick of all of these people taking Sam Baker and/or Gosder Cherilus. We shouldn't get either one of them.

i thought it was a great draft for what you aimed to do, which was upgrade the trenches. however i think it would be a much better course of action to get a guy like andre' woodson in the 3rd round than to wait until the 6th to get colt brennan. we already have a developmental guy in dj shock who will have to fight for the #3 spot, why add another developmental guy in? thats just my opinion.

and i like the tony hills pick too. another steal could be breno giacomini in the 5th, hes from louisville and could be a good LT. but i really like tony hills.

for what you tried to do, it was a very good draft. if we could get cherilus and sam baker in the 2nd that would be fabulous, though im not as high on rachal as other people on this board are. good job but i like andre woodson in the 3rd lots more than brennan in the 6th. jmo.

I'm also curious as to why people say no to both Cherilus and Baker? Baker, I'm guessing, might be too small for Mularkey's scheme, but why hate on Cherilus? He is a prototype RT.

I thought about doing both Andre Woodson in the 3rd and Brennan in the 6th just to have an open competition at QB. There's something about Woodson's slow release that really bothers me though. You can't argue with him being so productive at Kentucky in the SEC though. Ultimately though I think Molden is one of the draft's biggest sleepers and couldn't be passed up on.

I love every pick except for Brennan.. And Baker.. I think he will be better served somewhere else.. Take a leap of faith and insert Anthony Collins.. :) Collins, Cherilus, Rachal.. :D  And maybe you should go Woodson my friend.. I love the trench emphasis.. After my own heart. ;)

i have had my share of doubts regarding sam baker. but jidady spelled it out pretty well for me in another thread when i asked him a couple questions about him. he pointed out that his situation is very similar to brian brohms, and the more i think about it the more i think it is true. they would have both been very high 1st round draft selections last year, but with the extra year to nit-pick and find other negatives, they are sliding down draft boards. unavoidable let downs like the cardinals being horrible on defense and having a poor season overall have hurt brohms stock and injuries and a sub-par season for the trojans (by their standards i suppose) has hurt sam baker. i dont think sam baker is a bad fit for this scheme at all. hes not the road grader that jake long is at LT, but he is significantly better in pass protection against speed rushers, and has been an anchor on the trojans line for 4 years, being an all american each year. he has all the experience you could want in a LT, and i asked him if he thought he could start right away, and he responded he expected him to start 16 games. if that is true, and i think it might be after going back to the drawing boards and reading up and researching him, then he should no question be one of our 2nd round selections. that is my re-found opinion on sam baker.

now, as far as cherilus goes, i could understand if someone said no to cherilus as a LT, because he is 100% a pure RT as you said, and a **** good one. if we got cherilus and baker we would have our starting bookends for a long time. my only question is will cherilus last that long. if he does, i think i would definately pick him. if mayo is there it will be a hard call, but if he lasts that long i think we might just have to pick him. it would be a great addition. i love the idea of baker and cherilus at LT and RT.

and i think woodson has made pretty big strides regarding his release. i believe todd mcshay was one person who said that the hitch in his release was barely noticeable at his pro-day, meaning he has been working very hard to improve his mechanics and his throwing motion. i read it in a couple other articles, but the mcshay one was the one that was posted on this board, and that was good to read. i think he would be a good pickup in the 3rd, and i personally think hed be pretty good value there. especially if he continues to work on his throwing motion. its a pretty low risk, high-reward scenario considering his production and experience, but he wouldnt play at all as a rookie because he needs time to develop and work on his mechanics, etc. he could be ready for 09, but im not sure obviously, he might need a bit more than a year.

but if we are passing on the qbs in the top 2 rounds, woodson would be at the top of my list in the 3rd round, followed by josh johnson even though he doesnt fit our scheme very well. dixon in the 4th-5th range would be another option and then it gets to the big projects in the 6th-7th range that im not too wild about.

jidady (4/6/2008)
Woohoo! I have gotten someone to see the light!

:laugh:

yup you did. id have to say id be a little dissapointed if i was the only one. you are one of the few people on this board that i ever have a legitimate discussion with. lately conversations on here have become a rarity, even in here at times.

thanks for gettin me back on track i guess, i had started to overanalyze him too. i was turning to the dark side...

thanks again jidady.

Colt Brennan? :laugh:

My lord Brennan is such an awful pick in any round.

It was a good draft till that. And b/c you took Brennan, I'm giving you a failing grade.

I thought you were smarter then that.

And BTW, Carson Palmer was a top-5 pick and sat a year. But according to your logic, he wasn't worth it? Get real! Most QB"s who are successful have sat at least half a year before taking the riengs, w/few exceptions like MArino and Manning.

One more thing, Stafford is not gonna be in next year's draft b/c he's not leaving early. 99% of QB's stay all 4-yrs, especially pro-style QB's like Stafford. It'd be extremely risky to hinge your draft strategy on someone who MIGHT come out. What if he doesn't?

Matthew Pritts (4/6/2008)

It was a good draft till that. And b/c you took Brennan, I'm giving you a failing grade.

And BTW, Carson Palmer was a top-5 pick and sat a year. But according to your logic, he wasn't worth it? Get real! Most QB"s who are successful have sat at least half a year before taking the riengs, w/few exceptions like MArino and Manning.

One more thing, Stafford is not gonna be in next year's draft b/c he's not leaving early. 99% of QB's stay all 4-yrs, especially pro-style QB's like Stafford. It'd be extremely risky to hinge your draft strategy on someone who MIGHT come out. What if he doesn't?

I know Colt Brennan wasn't going to be popular but it's my mock draft, and I'm showing you my personal opinions. But when did I say sitting a year wasn't good? I think most QBs should sit at least for half a year. I don't think you can compare Carson Palmer to any QB in this draft either. This draft is starved for QB talent which is why I think we should wait until next year.

Also, the QB class is very thin at Seniors next year so I expect some impact juniors to come out. I don't think we should take a sub-par QB over a potentially great linemen in the first or second rounds just because we need one.

After looking back at my original post, I think you may have confused "one day" with "day one." I don't think we need any QB to start behind our young OL on day one.

falconblood - I thought taking Colt Brennan (even in the 6th) was a big enough of a leap of faith haha.

Mr.Offseason - I heard Sam Baker's stock is also taking a beating because he wasn't overly impressive at the Senior Bowl (Chris Williams was the start offensive linemen) and Todd McShay was saying that he ran a very slow 40. I think his exact quote was "he looked like he was running with a refrigerator on his back." :ermm:

Either way, I still think Clady, Williams, and Baker are the best LT prospects in the draft. Williams is probably the most versatile of the 3, but Clady and Baker are true left tackles because of their athleticism.

falconva7 (4/6/2008)
Matthew Pritts (4/6/2008)

I know Colt Brennan wasn't going to be popular but it's my mock draft, and I'm showing you my personal opinions. But when did I say sitting a year wasn't good? I think most QBs should sit at least for half a year. I don't think you can compare Carson Palmer to any QB in this draft either. This draft is starved for QB talent which is why I think we should wait until next year.

Also, the QB class is very thin at Seniors next year so I expect some impact juniors to come out. I don't think we should take a sub-par QB over a potentially great linemen in the first or second rounds just because we need one.

After looking back at my original post, I think you may have confused "one day" with "day one." I don't think we need any QB to start behind our young OL on day one.

Stafford has been on record numerous times saying he's a 4-yr.guy. And I believe him. He loves college. And if he has a chance to win a national title in the next 2 years, you better believe he'll stay. QB's are best served staying all 4 years.

And Tebow is on record saying he's a 4-yr guy as well FWIW.

falconva7 (4/6/2008)
Mr. Offseason (4/6/2008)

I'm also curious as to why people say no to both Cherilus and Baker? Baker, I'm guessing, might be too small for Mularkey's scheme, but why hate on Cherilus? He is a prototype RT.

I thought about doing both Andre Woodson in the 3rd and Brennan in the 6th just to have an open competition at QB. There's something about Woodson's slow release that really bothers me though. You can't argue with him being so productive at Kentucky in the SEC though. Ultimately though I think Molden is one of the draft's biggest sleepers and couldn't be passed up on.

I like the draft also but realistically Gosder Cherilius will go in the 1st round and his stocks have risen as late so if we got him I think we'd be very lucky.Baker I think we got a good shot at somewhere in the 2nd.

I'm fully in favour of restocking the trenches as a priority, but I still think that we have to address QB on the first day. Fortunately, we have a load of picks, so we can do both. I would suggest, as an ideal, with the trenches being a priority:

1. Jake Long LT

2a. Joe Flacco or Brian Brohm QB

2b. Pat Sims NT

2c. Charles Godfrey CB

3a. DeMario Pressley UT

3b. Kirk Barton RG/RT

(and we still have a load of picks left...)

grendel (4/7/2008)
d-rod (4/7/2008)
I'm fully in favour of restocking the trenches as a priority, but I still think that we have to address QB on the first day. Fortunately, we have a load of picks, so we can do both. I would suggest, as an ideal, with the trenches being a priority:

1. Jake Long LT

2a. Joe Flacco or Brian Brohm QB

2b. Pat Sims NT

2c. Charles Godfrey CB

3a. DeMario Pressley UT

3b. Kirk Barton RG/RT

(and we still have a load of picks left...)

I'd suggest a better plan of action would be to trade down from #3 if possible... Get an extra 2nd... possibly even trade down again. Then we can get an arguably better LT in Clady or Williams, plus have another 2nd round pick (or 2) to use...

This would be my ideal situation as well. As I understand it, the Jets and Ravens are both interested in trading up because they are interested in Ryan. I don't like putting trades in my mocks because they're usually unrealistic, but I'd even trade down for their 1st, 3rd, and 4th. We also wouldn't have to guarantee $20 mill. in a rookie contract if we take Clady around 8.

Well, yes, a trade down is an attractive possibility. The Jets are probably the most likely, but if they trade up with us it will probably be for Chris Long, Gholston or McFadden, because the Raiders will be looking at those guys.

However, I don't think that we should trade down if Jake Long is there. JL is much more of a sure thing than Clady, Otah, Williams or Albert, and is probably one of the safest picks in the draft.

grendel (4/7/2008)
d-rod (4/7/2008)
Well, yes, a trade down is an attractive possibility. The Jets are probably the most likely, but if they trade up with us it will probably be for Chris Long, Gholston or McFadden, because the Raiders will be looking at those guys.

However, I don't think that we should trade down if Jake Long is there. JL is much more of a sure thing than Clady, Otah, Williams or Albert, and is probably one of the safest picks in the draft.

But not a LT, which is our biggest need.

Exactly. Long may be one of the safest picks in the draft but I don't want to give that kind of money to a RT (which we can get in the 2nd round). And I agree with you Grendel, LT is our greatest need.